Millionaire (1979)
    by Mennen

Reviews of Millionaire

Showing 1 to of 2 reviews.
    positive 1 Positive Reviewsneutral1 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

Mysticman's avatar
    Mysticman

Paco Rabanne's Youthful Nephew

Mennen's Millionaire is actually a floral fougere, not an oriental chypre as Jermyxt writes. H and R's Fragrance Guide lists the notes as follows:

Top Notes: Lavender, bergamot, laurel, rosewood, petitgrain, spike lavender

Middle Notes: Geranium, pine, carnation, cinnamon, cyclamen, cedarwood, vetiver

Base Notes: Moss, tonka, honey, amber, musk, fir

Many of these notes are also listed in the combination of the legendary Paco Rabanne, and Millionaire does have a very similar opening and middle, though it is not nearly as long-lasting as Paco. For an inexpensive scent, it is very well blended and balanced --- fresh, green and bracing fading to warm and subtle. On my skin it's barely noticeable after 3 or 4 hours, while Paco endures all day or all night.

Pros: Very cohesive fougere highly reminiscent of Paco Rabanne
    Cons: Doesn't last very long"

27 September, 2013

Jeremyxt's avatar
    Jeremyxt

This long-forgotten oriental chypre deserves a comeback.

I wore this scent during the 1980s for a time. I considered it my favorite scent. Not only did I love the smell, it seemed to work in perfect harmony with my body chemistry, and I got a lot of compliments on it.

Then it disappeared, and I moved on to other things. There came that inevitable time that I wanted to buy more of it, but by that time decades had passed. I couldn't even remember the name of the scent--or could I? (It turned out that I was right all along.)

Another Basenote member identified the scent, and I, with trepidation, ordered some and waited with baited breath. It was as wonderful as I remembered. "So what's it smell like?" you ask.

Let me say this first: People disagree wildly on this scent. Now, they all agree on three adjectives: "soft", "spicy", and "smells great", but it is at that point that all agreement ends. Out of six people, four thought it "manly"; two thought it a "feminine scent".

Continuing further, one of the ones who thought it "manly" saw it as "sporty"; another thought it "very upper-class" and compared it to Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955)

Interestingly, one of the ones who thought it a feminine scent compared it to Cinnebar. She thought she smelled cinnamon and patchouli, with a touch of vetiver.

But absolutely everybody liked it.

Here's my take on it:

Class of scent: A spicy, almost oriental chypre.

1. Top notes: Spicy melon.

2. Middle notes: Spicy powder.

3. Base notes: A spicy, old-school scent, possibly of the oakmoss/vetiver category.

"If this scent is so wonderful, why did it get discontinued?" you might ask.

My answer would be "the timing was all wrong." This scent just did not fit in with the loud, brash, go-getting 80s culture; it's too soft.

Instead, it belongs squarely in the Mad Men 60s.

Pros: Excellent sillage. very good longevity
    Cons: Very scarce. Ebay or a professional Scent Matcher are your only choices."

16 September, 2013