Monsieur Musk (1973)
by Dana (originally by Parquet, also Houbigant)

Monsieur Musk information

About Monsieur Musk

Monsieur Musk is a masculine fragrance by Dana. The scent was launched in 1973

Monsieur Musk fragrance notes

Reviews of Monsieur Musk

A safe, barbershop musk. Not offensive, but not unique enough to keep my bottle that I acquired in a trade.
16th July, 2017
Fresh greens over luscious deep musk. Very sensual and thoroughly enjoyable in a variety of situations. The original Houbigant issue is a richer blend with more oakmoss, while the Dana issue is a bit lighter and fresher. Longevity is 7-10 hours on me for both versions. Not bad for such a nice, inexpensive fragrance!

Oddly, my most recent bottles of Monsieur Musk state on the box: "Oil from USA blended and packaged in China". This is for the 4oz splash cologne which I prefer. I don't ever recall another fragrance of mine ever being made in China? Hmmmmm....
28th December, 2016
Dana has actually been very good at capturing the Monsieur Musk cologne.The only note I detect that's been changed is the rose petal has been turned down a little.

Monsieur Musk starts out with a very white soapy and green mossy accord very akin to Grey Flannel(the green note).Some sweetened spice,rose crossed with red wine,and a light tone of musk surfaces through the soap and the green vibe notches back some.If you put it beside Van Cleef & Arpel's Pour Homme you'd be at the counter all day debating which one you liked more.If you dressed formally to work every day?one might be able to pull this off.It's more of a night out with the wife or girlfriend cologne.
20th November, 2016
The amazing thing about the original cologne is that it is a very, very slightly tweaked version of the oh-so-famous and oh-so-rare Ambergris by Houbigant/Alyssa Ashley. Women go completely mad on Ebay auctions trying to buy the version labelled "Ambergris" (there is one listing now that starts at $595). What they don't seem to understand is that Monsieur Musk in its vintage form is the exact same fragrance.

I have had and worn both scents for many years and they are nearly identical. Neither one has anything to do with musk, really, but are instead gorgeous, complex and spicy, green chypre-ish frags that hearken back to a different era. In fact, MM smells quite a bit like vintage Mitsouko, minus any fruity sweetness. It also smells even more like vintage Dioressence.

A fascinating, long-lasting, and cheap-o find (in the original Houbigant form).
24th January, 2016 (last edited: 27th January, 2016)
We decided to do a flight sampling of Monsieur Musk while bottles of various concentrations by all three makers were at hand. It's a warm, rainy day here in Lake Tahoe so the notes will be more pronounced than in our usual aridity.

The King of Monsieur Musk is for certain the vintage version by Houbigant. Notes we smell are: Bergamot, Lemon, Lavender, Leather, Tobacco Leaf, Rosa Damascene, Coumarin, Musk, Galbanum, and Moss. A Musky Fougere (also fits the Chypre format), with incredible density, nice development, and big sillage. It sits on the skin with a spicy, green, velvet quality that is unparalleled. Highly recommended. (Samples were taken from all three bottles in the photo, and found to be very similar, despite one being called "AfterShave/Cologne" instead of simply "AfterShave")

The next MM we sampled was the vintage "Cologne" by Parfums Parquet* in the clear bottle. The straw color was much lighter than the Houbigant juice, and so was the formula. I would put concentration of oils at about half that of the Houbigant AfterShave. A lilting Lemon opening gives way to a Waxy, Rosy heart with Green Notes. The Spice, which gave the original formula sparkle, is very subdued. Any costly Resins have been eliminated. The Musk is likely synthetic, and takes a good half an hour to really develop. It is mild and pleasant, but juxtaposed to its predecessor, it's a mere phantom of the original.

This brings us to the readily available and reasonably priced cologne currently issued by the third manufacturer of this scent, Dana. Compared to the Cologne by Parfums Parquet, Dana has amped up the opening with more Bergamot. They revived the Lavender from the Houbigant original, and replenished some of the Spice- albeit a jagged, shallow, and generic one. My guess is that it's some sort of "spice blend" put out by fragrance base manufacturers. Missing here, that's present in both previous versions, is a supple base (Leather and Moss in the Houbigant and Wax in the Parfums Parquet). Without adding the cost of a good fixative to the formula, it could benefit from a little Vanillin to warm things up. It's a sharp and empty, but on the skin of a man, it could come alive.

b.n. Fragrance Notes are not official, only our impressions.

*Although Basenotes has Parfums Parquet listed as the original maker, to the best of my knowledge it is a subsidiary or descendent of the House of Houbigant. I believe it owned and manufactured the MM formula before it came to Dana.
17th October, 2015 (last edited: 19th October, 2015)
This was my first signature scent back when I was a teenager. My parent's friends used to compliment me on it and told me I smelled like 'young man' and I have so many positive association with my late teens/early 20's.

I recently found out that it was available again and just had to pick up a bottle. The formula has changed a bit. It used to be a bit 'beefier' but it still has that nice, clean, rich, masculine fragrance that I remember. For such an inexpensive fragrance it really exudes a classy manly aura. Not too complex at all but much more of a real fragrance than Coty's Musk For Men, which is really more of a barbershop talc with a dash of musk.

When I was a teen, I'd never noticed the 'wine' note in it as another reviewer mentioned. Now I can't help but notice it. It blends with the slight dash of spice and tobacco seamlessly and recedes into the background as the musk emerges in the drydown.

17th November, 2014