Monsieur Worth (1969)

AvailabilityDiscontinued

HouseWorth
Parent CompanyShaneel Enterprises Ltd

About Monsieur Worth

Monsieur Worth is a masculine fragrance by Worth. The scent was launched in 1969

Monsieur Worth fragrance notes

Reviews of Monsieur Worth

Sophisticated, elegant, dry and restrained, this classic from the house of Worth came late in its history, the tail end of the first incarnation of the veritable name.

It is quite the fougere, basically and solidly green, but subtly so. There is no "in your face" presence as in the soon to arrive powerhouse men's scents of the 1970s. The lavender, rosemary and basil give it an almost anise-like note, which hovers over the whole.

Notes such as vetiver, cedar, moss and geranium, though listed, are not evident to the nose, as the blending is masterful (I have found this to be the case in all scents from Worth.)

The overall effect is "unique" in my experience of fougeres. I have experienced well over one hundred, ranging from the late 1800s through to modern attempts to chemically recreate the combinations. To find one such as this that honors the scent family, but gives us an entirely new take in blending, is rare indeed and extremely welcome.
11th July, 2017
For me, this was the most elegant men's fragrance ever. A refreshing blend of green and citrus notes, with a very unusual sweet note (I really have no idea what it was; tonka and vanilla are listed, so I'm guessing it must be them; even though neither were at all obvious in the fragrance). I can't think of anything more descriptive to say about Monsieur Worth, other than it was was absolutely unique, and I miss it greatly. In a way, it was almost a man's version of Worth's Fleurs Fraiches (which isn't listed on Basenotes at all, but was also a very beautiful perfume, and sadly discontinued too).
13th May, 2016
rbaker Show all reviews
Unique fougère

The traditional to note of bergamot and lavender is given an unexpected twist with eucalyptus and herbs. In the drydown wood, green fern and oakmoss open up the fougère core, buy on my skin this phase is much lighter and has nothing of the heavy sharpness of some other similar scents. It is in the base where the most original development occurs, with the vetiver lingering to blend in with the tonka and amber to a lovely note, like amber with sunshine. I get a lot of development with acceptable projection, and a decent longevity of about five hours. Traditional and restrained but rich and not boring.

11th June, 2013
This refers to an "Eau de cologne triple": I cannot figure what this last term means, maybe the manufacturer wanted to convey the idea that it was a stronger eau de cologne, for its sillage and longevity are better than the blends so classified.

It has the structure of a classic fougere, and when I mean "classic", I mean it is not of the kind of blend with an overpowering opening. The citric accords morph into woody / musky notes in short period of time in a not very complex way. This arrangement reminds me of other classics, like Monsieur Rochas. If you think of the hesperic ones of the same age like Eau Sauvage and Monsieur de Givenchy, the dirty / indolic notes are rather quite marked in comparisson to these. In that sense, it feels like the reformulated Monsieur Rochas: this last one achieves the same effect (a dark, prominent animalic note in the mid-base notes) in a much more complex way.

For those expecting a sillage / longevity monster, this won´t be their choice. It is, indeed, the right one for occasions demanding a formal suit - I refer to situations when men have to be well groomed and perfumed the elegant way and a short period of time.
26th February, 2011 (last edited: 25th November, 2013)
Monsieur Worth is a fresh fougere, with a strong herbal presence. The early stages are a little too intense and harsh for my taste; the basil and eucalyptus combination is verging on the brutal. Although subsequent phases find a better balance, there remains a sufficient degree of discordance to sully my overall experience. The base is much more refined, and it almost persuades me to overlook some of the previous duff notes, but not quite.

I owned a bottle of this for a number of years, and I gave it every opportunity to convince me that I was the one with the problem, but to no avail. There is an admirable eccentricity and individualism about Monsieur Worth, but I simply am unable to live with its rather fatal flaws.
17th September, 2010
Monsieur Worth really was a wonderful fragrance! Fairly light and elegant, with subtle green, citrus and spice notes; it also had an unusual note, which I have rarely smelled (it's there in drastically smaller quantities in Chanel Pour Monsieur and Worth Pour Homme). It's very difficult to describe this note, but it was slightly sweet, and reminded me of the smell in an old fashioned tobacconist.

Monsieur Worth was available in various sizes of EDT and Aftershave, as well as some lovely bath products, including soap and talc. If I remember rightly the EDT was sold in 56ml and 112ml bottles. The packaging was very elegant, with a blue-green design; I could never work out the design, but I think it was possibly coloured rocks or crystals.

Along with Chanel Pour Monsieur, Monsieur Worth was my all time favourite mens fragrance. Very elegant, and far more distinctive than contempoary scents. Such a pity it was discontinued, especially when the pleasant, but rather boring Worth Pour Homme is still being made.
08th April, 2010

Add your review of Monsieur Worth

Shop for Monsieur Worth products online

Search Amazon for Monsieur Worth

Member images of Monsieur Worth

There are no member images of Monsieur Worth yet. Why not be the first?