Mouchoir de Monsieur (1904)
by Guerlain

Mouchoir de Monsieur information

Year of Launch1904

HouseGuerlain
PerfumerJacques Guerlain
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Parent Company at launchGuerlain

About Mouchoir de Monsieur

Mouchoir de Monsieur is a masculine fragrance by Guerlain. The scent was launched in 1904 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jacques Guerlain

Mouchoir de Monsieur fragrance notes

Reviews of Mouchoir de Monsieur

R90 Show all reviews
Netherlands
Guerlain one of the oldest active perfume houses we still have today. Guerlain is a company found in 1828, always been a family company until 1994; since then it's in safe hands of the LVMH group. The greatest thing about Guerlain (today) - I think - is that the old (famous) fragrances are still made and sold in the best quality as is possible - that is also the case for Mouchoir de monsieur.

Mouchoir de Monsieur is a scent from 1904 (one of world's first 'men' scents). Made by Jacques Guerlain. When I smell it, I smell a bit dirtier and spicier Jicky (1889).

The composition is brilliant, qualitatively and exclusive. But the same applies to Jicky.

when applied it is wise not to want to smell right away, the scent needs time to develop itself (don't judge on the first few minutes on paper or skin), the treat is great, if you have patience.

A real classic, which clearly distinguishes itself from modern scents and is absolutely not superfluous since all those years. A great sense individuality.

it is difficult - for me - to explain what exactly I smell because of the large amount of ingredients - it's very well blended. I'm still trying; first I smell citrus/fresh notes, lavender, then other flowers ... something woody, earthy, sweet.

When you want a scent for evening dinner or for daily use...
Even for men who want something special to wear sometimes. With Mouchoir de Monsieur you can go in all directions. It is never boring.
11th January, 2018
I'm giving it a thumbs up for the staying power, 100+ years has to count for something. I was disappointed at first, I was looking forward to civet, and there was very little. People who dislike it mention the civet but this is nothing compared to some niche. It opens with waxy plastic and verbena. I've smelled this wax scent before, usually in frags with "amber" accords. Dry-down turns Jicky-like, with an amber/civet/musk scent. Settles down after 1/2hr into a nicer fragrance than the opening was. I get a similarity to Hugo Boss number 1 dry-down, only more animalic.
27th July, 2017 (last edited: 28th July, 2017)
Same powdery Guerlain accord. Not bad but am getting tired of it.
27th May, 2016
Whenever I try Mouchoir de Monsieur, I think of the actor Robert Montgomery, who in one of his movies nonchalantly carries on a conversation with someone while dousing his pocket square with a fragrance, and then folding it back into his breast pocket. I always think it must be MdeM that he is employing; because if I bought it that's how I would use it. Yes, dear friends, I always wear a jacket with a pocket square with a jacket. Mouchoir also reminds me of the music of Gustav Mahler. One moment the scene is youthful, bright and carefree, then suddenly it changes to something sour and even sinister. Well Mouchoir doesn't go all sinister; but it changes from a lovely clean lavender to something a bit dirty and sweaty and a tad animalic; and then it goes on to something else. This is a great fragrance, one of the greatest still made. Men should own it so ladies could admire them. The men should also wear pocket squares, but that's another story all together.
16th December, 2015
Dirty lavender. Fraternal twin of Jicky, distinguishing characteristic perhaps being a bit more musk or moss, perhaps a bit less vanilla, but I refuse to force a distinction... these are twinkies, no doubt. I only know the iterations available since the 90s and prefer the more angry Ungaro II in this category, however all 3 are my type of lavender.

I'm 50+ for reference.
10th November, 2015
As everyone subscribing to Basenotes knows, Jicky (1889) was the second scent to utilize synthetic notes in its composition. The first was Houbigant's Royal Fougere (1888).

Jicky was a failure with the ladies, too brutal and "new," but a hit with men, who kept it afloat until decades later, the ladies came around.

Mouchoir de Monsieur translates as "Gentleman's Handkerchief" and it is apt, as in 1904, the year of its release, men and ladies still brought scented handkerchiefs to their nose when traversing the foul and fetid streets of Paris. Since Jicky was aimed at women, it makes sense for Guerlain to formally market the same scent to men with a bit more base, civet and patchouli. However, it is pretty much identical to my nose.

The combination of lavender and vanilla has a dry, edgy scent, reminiscent at times of damp cardboard. However, controversial, it is still a rather unique scent, regardless of the name under which it is marketed.

I loved it when I first came upon it four years ago, but soon grew tired of it, registering it as having historical import, but no personal impact.

Turin gives it four stars, calls it a "rich lavender," and notes it befits the image of "Rupert Everett playing Beau Brummell."

In any case, it is every bit as good as Jicky with a bit more depth in the base. Since Guerlain simply copied its own scent intended for women, reshaping it for men, it can't be labelled a rip-off.

It's overall quite good, quite unique, and worth everyone's experiencing it.
19th September, 2015

Add your review of Mouchoir de Monsieur

Shop for Mouchoir de Monsieur products online

Shop for Mouchoir de Monsieur at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Mouchoir de Monsieur

Member images of Mouchoir de Monsieur

There are no member images of Mouchoir de Monsieur yet. Why not be the first?

Fragrances launched in the same year as Mouchoir de Monsieur (1904)