Mouchoir de Monsieur (1904)
    by Guerlain

Shop for Mouchoir de Monsieur products online

Reviews of Mouchoir de Monsieur

Showing 1 to 6 of 48 reviews.

Colin Maillard's avatar
    Colin Maillard

A timeless sensual twist on the "eau de cologne" theme. A salty diagonal accord which goes from Guerlain's animalic richness (Jicky) to still safe citrus-lavender-vanille cologne territories, suddendly falling down a weird purgatorium of patchouli, warm resins, luring spices, narcotic jasmine and gorgeously deep oak moss notes. Finally re-emerging in a clean, safe, elegant and soothing eau de cologne - like nothing happened. The libertine, morbid, filthy, dandy lascivious brother of an eau de cologne. Superb!

12 April, 2014 (Last Edited: 20th April, 2014)

deadidol's avatar
    deadidol

This particular hankie’s a bit of a stinker, but that’s what makes it compelling. It cranks up the civet of Jicky and adds a hint of mustard gas (a sort of ammonia / sulphur / piss trio). This part’s handled somewhat cordially, but I think it would still scare the chickens. The rest of it is a bit of a standard-issue old-school aromatic—the lavender / vanilla / citrus hat-trick, yet more restrained. So, at first, MdM feels a bit like an inverted Jicky, but after ten minutes or so, it mellows into a weirdly subdued musk thing that makes me think of crumpled newspaper, dust, and old chewing gum. In this respect, it’s conjuring more of a headspace than a fragrance, and the space I imagine is one in which some super sketchy stuff went down. Although I dislike the boring aromatic part, I’m all about the creeper musk.

06 April, 2014

Jack ze Fack's avatar
    Jack ze Fack
    France France

It used to be worn by very special Guerlain guests... now, everybody can get it.

Jicky, more masculinized, more civilized, but still with this animal touch.

Human, with all that complexity...

29 November, 2013

Elzéard's avatar
    Elzéard

A very respectable fragrance. On me it comes across as a more sensible and civilised version of Jicky, not that Jicky is in any way an animal. The dry down is standard Guerlain. However, I do not remember it moving me in any particular way, other than thinking that it was completely acceptable.

28 December, 2012

Jack Hunter's avatar
    Jack Hunter

Opening the box you are presented with a gorgeous bee styled bottle which is worthy of keeping after the juice inside is gone.

I drenched my body all over with 12 sprays (why not lol) and waited. It opens with a musty lemony lavender and the fragrance is extremely subtle and stays close to the body even after 12 sprays.lol

It stays like this for a half hour and I was trying hard not to come to judgement to quickly which I'm glad I did not as after that half hour the magic happens.

The fragrance then unfurls into a symphony of notes. It gets slightly sweeter in powdery way and floral, I take another smell and I start to pick up different aspects of the symphony of notes. I could smell patchouli and some woods and a lot of fragrance notes constantly shifting and moving upon my skin in harmony. Wonderful

It's amazing that a fragrance that starts off not to pleasant with the lemony lavender mustyness can unfold into a lovely orchestra of notes. I have had to re wire my brain differently in the way I judge fragrances as this scent seems to work completly differently to the usual modern day fragrances.

Though the fragrance is very subtle and close to the skin it is a highly tuned fine piece of work that shows its magic after the first half hour. I'm impressed and will have to check out more old style Guerlains to see if I get that magic. Wonderful stuff!

23 June, 2012

Marais's avatar
    Marais

Ideal for strolling through a fog-enshrouded Whitechapel, twirling one's cane, whilst looking for 'trade'.

A bit shocking when first encountered, as civet is not a note employed with much prominence in contemporary perfumery. Within 30 minutes of application however, it becomes rather more sociable. A beautiful blend of lemon, lavender and vanilla, with the civet providing intrigue, depth, and occasional quizzical looks. Moderate sillage and longevity.

14 March, 2012