Muscs Koublaï Khän (1998)
by Serge Lutens

Muscs Koublaï Khän information

Year of Launch1998

HouseSerge Lutens
PerfumerChristopher Sheldrake
Parent CompanyShiseido

About Muscs Koublaï Khän

Muscs Koublaï Khän is a shared / unisex perfume by Serge Lutens. The scent was launched in 1998 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Christopher Sheldrake

Reviews of Muscs Koublaï Khän

This musk is of the variety that most people think of as musk. It is NOT white musk which smells clean like soap, but skanky musk like women wore in the 70s. Animalic and a bit of wax like crayons smell. Slight floral makes an appearance. Not my style, Reminds me of the 70s I smelled this odor every Sunday when older women sprayed fragrance to go to church or out to eat. Ironically it is a feminine fragrance more so than Masculine.
12th June, 2017
Musky crotch smell and then it just turns into something like a floral musk.

Strong projection and longevity.
09th April, 2017
rbaker Show all reviews
Now this is a musk! The opening starts with a mix of fresh cistus and a crisp castoreum; soon a faecaloid and rebellious civet appears and provides the core of this creation. This is a convincing musky-civety note, and although it appears to have lost edginess and darkness over the years since it has been released. Still, skanky enough to impress, at least in the opening phase.

In the drydown a pleasant rose appears, but it never goes beyond a mere accompnying rôle. The musk mellows, softens, a change that is supported by a surprisingly smooth patchouli. The faecaloid top notes undergo metamorphic change into a more pleasant, civil and nigh elegant composition.

I get strong sillage, excellent projection and a very impressive longevity of twelve hours on my skin.

A classic, paradigmatic musk creation for winter days, well blended and of good quality ingredients. A musky must for the musk lover. 3.75/5.

Le Musk de Serge
28th December, 2016
This is devilishly divine! :) I ordered a sample and had to buy a bottle after first sniff. True to its reputation, Muscs Koublai Khan is animalic as all get-out - but in a knowing, sophisticated way, neither crude nor overweaning. It's not even edgy: it's elegant, but just barely. This masterfully blended symphony of musk, civet and floral notes presents itself in all of its complexity, take it or leave it. I'll take it! It's just lovely.
01st August, 2016 (last edited: 02nd August, 2016)
This perfume's hype as a stinker is greatly exagerated.
I don't get the urine/fecal bomb that others speak about. Yes, it is a bit animalistic but, not as bad as most reviews here will have you believe and in fact, it is very nicely and tastefully done.

No overwhelming fecals, or salty sweaty after copulation smell, no camel or unwashed rider, no sweaty female delicates or, any other metaphorical description that has been used to convey how this perfume smells.

Having said all that, my skin has a tendency to tame what others perceive as seriously animalistic perfumes. On my skin this is a nice masculine dark floral, with some mild animalistic and spicy nuances which, gives this perfume a sexy/sensual vibe.

Mine is a new 2016 bell bottle from which I wore two swipes. I will decant 2ml into a spray and see if there are any differences when this perfume is atomised. I shall adjust this review accordingly.

EDIT: I have decanted it and pumped three full blasts, one to my chest and one on each wrist. Other than slightly better projection , no changes.
26th July, 2016 (last edited: 19th June, 2017)
An experiment after reading all of the positive reviews. I wore musc, or "musk" as it was called it back in 1978 for a while. I wasn't that fond of it back then, but it was the new, "thing", and so I wore it. Well, I can say that nothings changed. I still don't care for it. The opening blast of Muscs Koublai Khan was shockingly fecal! I had read that, but honestly couldn't quite believe what I was sniffing on my skin. I have to laugh as I think about this. My journey through the world of fragrance has taken me from unbelievably incredible scents, to urine and feces. I honestly don't understand why fecal is an appealing note in a fragrance for a human being, but this frag is pretty popular, so I guess I don't need to understand it. I also don't think this is one I'll need to experiment with much more. Perhaps when I'm feeling, "pooped" out, I'll give it another try.
17th May, 2016

Add your review of Muscs Koublaï Khän

Shop for Muscs Koublaï Khän products online

Search Amazon for Muscs Koublaï Khän

Member images of Muscs Koublaï Khän

There are no member images of Muscs Koublaï Khän yet. Why not be the first?