Navy for Men (1996)
by Dana (originally by Cover Girl)

Navy for Men information

Navy for Men is a masculine fragrance by Dana. The scent was launched in 1996

Navy for Men fragrance notes

Reviews of Navy for Men

numcks Show all reviews
Not as bad as you would suspect from reviews here

Minty, spicy, aquatic similar in opening to Polo Sport. Drydown is a bit cheap and sour smelling, but overall not nearly as bad as reviews here would lead you to believe.

Pros: Lost cost Polo Sport alternative
Cons: Cheap, oddly sour drydown

10th June, 2013
I've had this before, and grew up wearing it. This was one of the things I received in a gift size when I was a teen before I struck out on my own and bought fragrance. This predates my first exploration with Avon (then later designer frag) I would say it is in the same train of thought as Cool Water, Polo Sport, and Wings. My belief is that most fragrance tropes when new, are typically heralded by 3 or 4 scents that first create a precedent, then carry the ideas of that precedent along to it's ultimate conclusion. Everything coming after these innovators is a redundant retread to cash in on the popularity of the vibe established by it's progenitors, and this is one of those such cash-ins. Cover Girl was a Kmart/Walmart-level makeup company that to this day fills our heads with "easy breezy beautiful" jingoistic nonsense, but when they tried to break into fragrance in the 90's, it didn't pan out for them and they quickly divested themselves of it to Dana, who were quick to snap up anything with legacy value that they could peddle downmarket. Luckily, Cover Girl fragrances were already downmarket so nothing had to really be changed here once the scents switched hands.

I can totally understand why this exists: Cool Water invented the idea of the blue-obsessed aquatic fresh fougere, discarding all the powdery and aromatic fougeres of the earlier decades in favor of something much lighter, crisper, and impossible-to-produce without modern chemistry. Polo Sport took it to darker places and Wings literally sent the concept into orbit with more laundry-soap-blueness than a smurf could muster. Good old Armani would finally rid us of the literal "blue" note in aquatics when Acqua di Gio would land the same year as this, but that was the start of another trope, a passing of the torch if you will. I won't say that some decent aquatics didn't also surface around this time or after, but were they different enough to escape direct comparison to these three that I wouldn't cite them as derivative of them? Probably not. Again, Nautica escapes this fate just because it was so radically different yet reached the same conclusion as the rest of this pack, so it gets a pass.

What I smell in this is somebody's attempt to make a cheaper and lighter Polo Sport, with a tiny bit of urinous funk somewhere that sours this enough to make it stand a tad apart from further similarities. It has the usual berries, citrus, light woods, herbs, and a cold menthol/mint note just as all the rest of it's ilk, but they're mixed in slightly different ratios, and the overall strength on this fragrance is abysmal, even for an aquatic. Just as most things above named, Navy for Men is made for day wear. It's best for a super humid or hot and arid day. It mixes well with heat, sweat, or moisture in the air as expected. I wouldn't wear this to formal gatherings, court dates, etc. since it's too ubiquitous a trope to convey any seriousness in those environments, but it's perfect for a casual summer evening at a local bar, a sweaty work day, or even a day about town in a hot city if other better aquatics are not at hand. Sure, it's cheap and it doesn't contain any unique notes or the kind of depth one would expect from an expensive master-blended perfume, but it does the job for the price and is certainly a better alternative to the Axe/Lynx/Tag body sprays you might otherwise get for the price.

I had it, used it up when there was nothing better and I had no concept of fragrance, then bought a larger bottle of it about a decade later to remind myself of it, since my teen memories of it imparted a fondness brought about by nostalgia. I didn't detect any change, but realized just how unoriginal it was when I smelled it again, with much more knowledge of fragrance under my belt by that point. I don't hate the stuff, I can't. It's perfectly adequate when adequate is all you're willing to pay for. It smells not a thing like the Navy perfume Cover Girl launched years before it, and is the only male scent they ever made before selling off to Dana. It's not a direct knock-off of any one scent even if it riffs close to the aforementioned Polo Sport, but I don't see myself ever owning this again. In fact, I had to give my bottle away when I tired of that weird sour drydown it has. You literally don't -want- to make this an all-day fragrance, it just doesn't have the balance or poise for it. In a pinch, grab this, otherwise, move on.

Pros: Great for hot, humid days.
Cons: Thin, airy, and not very complex</p>
17th May, 2013 (last edited: 13th September, 2017)
Just awful. I understand tastes are subjective, but I don't know how Navy for Men got green-lit. There's something wrong with this product. Don't they have focus groups?

Cat vomit on wet cardboard.
23rd April, 2013
Navy for men makes me smell like a woman--a woman wearing cheap cologne that is. I just threw my bottle out. For shame.

I award Navy no points and may God have mercy on its soul. I haven't liked any of Dana's products thus far.
18th January, 2011
A recurring theme in sci-fi films is the scenario in which a team of scientists is performing a series of experiments and taking extensive notes on a dangerous subject in a room/tube/tank when, invariably, the subject breaks free and escapes and one of the scientists gets on the horn and declares, 'We have a problem."
Navy is the beast that escaped, destroying my lab and my colleagues, and spraying its glandular rotting compost hormones all over the scene of the crime.

As sometimes occurs in film I had to call a priest in to perform an exorcism, banishing this creature back to Hell.
04th January, 2011
Swanky Show all reviews
Navy is cheap and smells like it. No, it doesn't smell of cat pee. It smells of low-quality synthetic ingredients determined by a paltry budget. The only connection with the word "navy" is the watery note (and the blue bottle); not so much aquatic as it is thin and transparent. For the first hour or so this fragrance is pretty hard to take - the notes don't blend well and the cheapness grates. After the two hour mark it settles down and is less unpleasant but still skeletal, sort of grassy vegetal. The only upsides are the longevity and the relative uniqueness. For a 12 year old boy just getting into colognes, this may be a low-risk bet due to its sub-ten dollar price tag. For the rest, who may simply be low on funds, there are many, many other inexpensive choices vastly superior to this (Stetson Sierra for starters). Don't be tempted by the gumball price; this one isn't worth even that.
19th August, 2010

Add your review of Navy for Men

Shop for Navy for Men products online

Shop for Navy for Men at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Navy for Men

Member images of Navy for Men

There are no member images of Navy for Men yet. Why not be the first?