No. 88 (1981)

• Perfumer: John Stephen
    • Bottle Designer: Unknown - Let us know

No. 88 Fragrance Notes

Reviews of No. 88

Showing 1 to 6 of 90 reviews.

Highpriestofdarkness's avatar
    Highpriestofdarkness

I could imagine a vampire wearing this when trying to seduce a woman...not a twilight vampire either but the gothic yet mysterious vampire that can lure you in. This is very gothic smelling it smells like dusky roses on a misty night. Roses on men is not something I would normally put together however this works very well if you are not afraid to flaunt it. It holds a air of mystery about it, masculine yet feminine at the same time. I could think that this would have been big on the new romantic scene in the 80's.

27 March, 2014

fan.of.devin's avatar
    fan.of.devin

Nothing special.

Citrus, rose, sandalwood... Basically smells like a bar of hotel room soap.
    Wearable, but, it's impossible to justify the price tag on this stuff.

20th May, 2013

LaNose's avatar
    LaNose

For us baby boomers think: Cashmere Bouquet bath soap circa 1950s. This is a perfect replica and... nothing to sneeze at.

Like stepping out of the shower on a summer day: super fresh with great longevity and character.

27 April, 2013

noideawhatimsaying's avatar
    noideawhatimsaying

Superb. I was expecting dark, foreboding, and ominous. What I instead got was pleasant, inviting, lightly oriental, slightly rosey. Longevity and projection are fantastic!

20th April, 2013

avagabond27's avatar
    avagabond27

My initial expectations of this have been more than surpassed. It took me a while to get around to ordering a sample and I was trying to keep my expectations low based on other reviews of 88 I've read. I'm a sucker for so-called "dark" scents and was curious for some time about this, being that it is supposedly Ozzy Ozbourne's signature smell and seems to have a reputation of being "temple" or "funeral"-like. However, I tend to dislike many incense smells (while I occasionally burn incense in my house, incense notes in perfume tends to give me sneezing fits).

I definitely get the dark atmosphere 88 conjures for people. But I'm actually very surprised by how fresh it smells on me. Putting it on right after a shower, it doesn't project any kind of dirty aura, but rather one that is, in my mind, clean and refreshing. I chalk this up to the geranium note, which I seem to be getting very strongly on my skin. The rose note is more subdued. I was thinking this would be similar to Montale's Black Aoud, one of my absolute favorites, but, no, these two fragrances are very different, and in a very good way. I live in San Francisco a few years ago and 88 totally reminds me of a scent you get from the head-shops on Haight Street, sweetly mysterious and enticing.

24 December, 2012

Bigtruck260's avatar
    Bigtruck260

It's rare that I place such high expectations on something...and in this case, I was absolutely salivating at the note pyramid. I traded for a little decant through BN and the vial contents smelled amazing, though it really was not enough to cover my wrist. I finally got a hold of a partial bottle on eBay, and BAM. Expectations exceeded.

I am not a 'nose', so I'll give you the dimestore review...

Overtly pungent at first spray - smelling somewhat like the old powdered soap that you would find in a fancy hotel or restaurant in a funnel dispenser. Overwhelming and a bit on the stinky side. My entire olfactory system went on overload and nearly crashed. Thankfully, it only lasted a few minutes, after which the real heart of 88 sinks in and the good stuff emerges. It's pretty masculine for a unisex scent, and I could see a dude in a tux and top hat wearing this while riding a high wheel bicycle past Mary Poppins and the kids watching Burt make chalk drawings on a London sidewalk.

It's classy, but I can also see myself putting 88 on before a concert - or an evening outside on the town. Different from Rive Gauche, but also similar in some ways. It makes me want to shave with a straight razor.

Overall, it's high quality if not a bit short on the longevity. Whatever. I dig the stuff and will probably make it a staple in the rotation during cold midwestern months.

07 December, 2012