Odeur 71 (2000)

• Availability: In Production
    • Perfumer: IFF
    • Bottle Designer: Unknown - Let us know

Odeur 71 Fragrance notes

Electricity, Metal, Office, Mineral, Dust on a hot light bulb, photocopier toner, Hot metal, Toaster, fountain pen ink, Pencil Shavings, The salty taste of a battery, incense, Wood, Moss, Willow, Elm, Birch, Bamboo, Hyacinth and Lettuce Juice

Odeur 71 information

If you fancy something different to the run of the mill designer fragrances, how about trying the second in the series of Anti-Perfumes by Comme des Garcons. When you first smell the fragrance you get a big metallic rush, it's very different. With notes you probably won't find in many other fragrances, you'll definitely be unique wearing Odeur 71.

Shop for Odeur 71 products online

Reviews of Odeur 71

Showing 1 to 6 of 37 reviews.

therm's avatar
    therm
    Belgium Belgium

This is Odeur 53 with a dash of incense to it. Makes me think a little of church, but not in a bad way and definitely not as much as CdG Avignon. For me this, this is the winter version of Odeur 53 (although I know friends wearing this for their summer fragrance). Very fresh yet warming. Might take some wearing time for some to fully appreciate the fragrance.

01st April, 2013

Possum-Pie's avatar
    Possum-Pie

A foul smelling concoction of too many discordant notes. I like unusual fragrances, but this smells green, and hot, and electrical, and plastic, too many competing smells

26 January, 2013

cfrench76's avatar
    cfrench76

I LOVE IT! A lot better than odeur 53 IMO. Has less of an alcoholic, sterile smell. It's greener, more verdant fragrance, yet it still has its weirder artificial notes. Very wearable and quite unisex.

08 January, 2013

kmfdm10392's avatar
    kmfdm10392

I've always been attracted to left of center scents, especially everyday things you smell around the house or in public. I was always the child standing close to the campfire because I liked the way burning leaves smell. I was the art student who enjoyed the smell of oil paint and turpentine. And I'm that weirdo who stands close to the pump because I like the smell of petrol. Mind you, I don't huff paint and/or chemical fumes for some drug-induced mental experience. I just enjoy certain odors and the mental and emotional associations they bring about. And I've always enjoyed colognes and perfumes that feature uncommon notes that offer those sorts of experiences. Those that go beyond "gee, you smell nice."
    Having said all that, I have found CdC 71 can be very polarizing. My boyfriend claims that every time I wear it , he thinks there is an electrical fire somewhere in the house, like something has shorted out. My childhood friend Paul says it reminds him of his days in the printing press warehouse. Needless to say the former hates 71 and the latter likes it. And I find that polarization is one of its greatest gifts.

30th July, 2012

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

A very hard to wear fragrance or better an anti-fragrance, as written, the scent of the chaos over the planet, the odour of the dust on a lightbulb. This is a scent for amateurs, collectors, confrontationists, Naturalism's followers and sons of the Postfordism. I  wish to pubblically express my gratitude to my friend  Alfarom for the Odeur 71's sample that has sent to my address. There is  a lymphatic and grassy note of wild weeds barely cut and rubbed on human skin not so easy to get the feeling with (this is the main feel i smell) and there is an irony sheer characterizing tone whose many wrote about. The clash of the two opposite vibes plus an insertion of smoke  produces that sort of electronical effect that seems a sort of plastic-burnt smell after a short circuit or better a sort of synthetic xerox-toner smell. On the side of this metallurgical smell you can detect something of musky, soapy (i mean like a bath foam) and delicate in a sweet and melancholy way. I smell also wood or better smell of fornitures and shelves with plastic and paper inside. I detect the smoke, the moss, the air but not the incense. Some mysterious flowers are cleverly blended in the chaotic mix. The outcome is a unique and weird smell as yellow as the schizophrenia.

24 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 November, 2011)

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

When this came out back in 2000 it was totally revolutionary and I'm not talking about the provocative marketing concept behind the fragrance notes, but the scent itself. It was incredibly recognizable, unique and absolutely stunning. I always try to avoid hypes but couldn't resist Odeur 71. In the end, we can spend a lot of words and time talking about really well crafted fragrances, filled with top quality ingredients, and super professionaly balanced aromas but we should never forget that first of all, a perfume has to give you sensations and feelings and whether you'll like CDG's Odeur 71 or not, it won't leave you indifferent. My suggestion would be, just for one time, to try to avoid any description, comment, notes pyramid and and just smell.

A very distinctive mix of clean incense with a minty vibe and a strong xerox-toner note. Abstract and airy. An all time favourite.

Also, this is one of those scent that really needs to be collocated in its historical period to be properly appreciated. It surely belongs to the chemicals fragrances family, modern in a "contrapposition mode" to the classic, provocative and avanguardist, unconventional, but you can appreciate Odeur 71 and at the same time go mad for a Santa Maria Novella's original scent from the early 700. It was one of the first "barrier-braking" scent to (almost) make the cross-over from niche perfumery to the mass market as it became an huge cult for a whole generation.

05 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 October, 2011)

Add your review of Odeur 71