Old Spice (1937)
by Procter & Gamble (originally by Shulton)

Old Spice information

Year of Launch1937

HouseProcter & Gamble
Originally byShulton
PerfumerAlbert Hauck

About Old Spice

One of the classic men's fragrances. Introduced by Shulton in the thirties.
Many collect Old Spice memorabilia, such as shaving bowls and bottles.
The Old Spice brand is now owned by Procter & Gamble.

Reviews of Old Spice

Easily among the all-time best bargains in fragrance. It’s amazingly well-blended. Even modern formulations retain a high degree of sophistication and style. Don’t be put off by its supposed “grandpa” or “too common” reputation. Just splash a little on for the sheer enjoyment. Don’t be surprised if women lean in a little closer to catch a whiff. Old Spice is widely regarded as a “daddy” fragrance. There are times when being perceived as daddy isn’t a bad thing at all. A soft vanilla/carnation scent, Old Spice would smell great on beautiful, confident women as well. It’s maybe the male-marketed equivalent of Chanel No. 5 in terms of worldwide fame and instant recognition. Old Spice, a well-worn pair of jeans, a flannel shirt. . . straight from iconic style heaven.
27th February, 2018
The modern juice is still a true performer with excellent value. A fantastic blend of scents with a very appropriate moniker, as well. This could easily be the king of all barbershop scents except for the frugality of the average barber. Its cheap but was never cheap enough to meet their requirements. Instead OS made its way big time as an over the counter frag. I would consider it to be a prized gem if it were not so darn common. So, I still must have it about, it was dad's scent on those rare days that he wore one. I truly enjoy this one off and on in the privacy of our home.
I wish I could find something very similar yet different enough to wear out and about.
09th February, 2018
Rugged, manly and
Disturbingly feminine
To this post-niche nose.

Life barely hiding
That Fashion subverts itself
By very Nature

Proving that Fashion's
Time and gender both cannot
Be precisely known

Not lost on Coco
In her prior researches
On Time's wavy locks

Lovingly set free
When she trimmed her own one day
And Blue Cheer didn't.
21st December, 2017
Despite its low price and ubiquity, I think it's still one of the best fragrances ever constructed. It's top notes, which remain for only a few minutes, are citrus and cinnamon (the cinnamon lasting longer than the citrus). Its heart a warm rose, and its base a creamy amber. The dry down is powdery. A truly wonderful scent that has earned its place as a classic. Unfortunately, it isn't something I would feel comfortable wearing out of the house due to it's perceived cheapness and lowliness. A more refined example of this spicy, oriental would be Guerlain's Habit Rouge, which is more leathery and waxy, but it's a much more sophisticated example of this class of scents.
05th October, 2017
When I was a kid my grandfather had Old Spice and Skin Original beside the bathroom sink.Whenever he splashed some Old Spice on it smelled very good.As an adult and wearing it though...opposite feelings.

From an old bottle by Shulton circa 1993 this stuff is just rough.Bitter cinnamon with a character that feels like someone mixed black pepper in it and shoved it up my nose.A creamy vanilla but strangely smells like popcorn dipped in vanilla.The anise can smell pleasant but the heat amplifies the hell out of it...smells like a whole anise star constantly under my nose.Wearing it is a dare to me,but to others around me it smells good.On a pleasant note I do like that burn of the cinnamon in the aftershave.But yes as much as I like the old-school scents?Old Spice was hard to enjoy.
10th January, 2017
The stuff is classic... What else is there to say?
The original Shulton is what I'm talkin about here people! I work as a firefighter in a busy city so needless to see if I'm going to smell like something other than smoke it better be masculine. I'm a younger guy so I don't overdo it but the senior men appreciate the classic vibe as it relates to a strong physical work ethic and overall masculine nostalgia. Some things never die.
20th August, 2016