Old Spice (1937)
    by Procter & Gamble (orig. by Shulton)

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 362 ratings

Old Spice Fragrance Notes

Old Spice information

One of the classic men's fragrances. Introduced by Shulton in the thirties.
    Many collect Old Spice memorabilia, such as shaving bowls and bottles.
    The Old Spice brand is now owned by Procter & Gamble.

Reviews of Old Spice

Showing 1 to 6 of 114 reviews.

Odor Miris's avatar

Smiling after reading many reviews from positive to quite negative...my response? It's Old Spice for Crips sake! Yes, it does remind me of gentler days, Dad, barbershops, manual transmissions, black and white TV's...so what? It is what it is...a classic (well, the Shulton version anyway). Good for a Saturday morning splash after a meticulous shave with nothing on the agenda except to put on your worn flannel shirt, jeans, boat shoes and get out and clean the garage! Now off to a lunch of PB&J and some Campbell's Tomato Soup!

29th November, 2014

AMAR_420's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Must have smelled really exotic when it was lounged in 1973.
    This is a comfortable home scent, the older version. Haven't bought a bottle in years though.

29th September, 2014

Zenwannabee's avatar

GQ published an article circa 2008 on men's cologne, deriding fragrances from the '80s, and any others that made you "smell like a dad." I was a bit nonplussed--why should I worry about smelling like a dad? After all, I am one.

What I took this to mean is that perhaps this scent is not for everyone, maybe younger folks who are still searching for that perfect frag, knowing it to be just beyond the next horizon. Well, for me, here it is, no further beyond the horizon than my nearest drugstore. It is my daily go-to, constant companion and, at the risk of sounding déclassé, simply a classic.

Now I love designer fragrances, but if I went missing and my kids had to wave something under the bloodhounds' noses, it would be Old Spice (and they'd probably put a bottle for me as well in the little barrel around the St. Bernard's neck). Sometimes a scent doesn't need to do anything spectacular, doesn't need to prove anything. It just has to work for you. This does for me.

10th March, 2014 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2014)

dreese's avatar

If we set nostalgia aside, memories from a time when men's fragrances were manly because they were soaked in musk, we have to face the fact that they do not smell very good. I continue to receive these scents-Old Spice, Brut, Aqua Velva, etc. -as gifts and remember in the 60s and 70s when these were worn by virtually every man around. They are rugged and manly, but it seems that they ADD to the masculine aromas we would prefer to counteract (body odor, sweat) rather than compound. I have never found any pleasing qualities in these fragrances and have witnessed countless instances when men wearing these fragrances pass by and folks assaulted by the scent wrinkle their noses or cough.
    There are some excellent manly fragrances from this period; Aramis, Halston Z-14, and Lagerfeld to name a few.
    In summary, Old Spice and Brut need to go away because they are simply awful.

18th January, 2014 (Last Edited: 03rd February, 2014)

cologne65's avatar

old spice has a nice refreshing cinnamon scent with a moderate lasting strength. I was told my grandfather wore this back in the day. I heard the original shulton version was much better then this newer version by procter and gamble. over all I say it might be best for daytime use. seems to give you a after shower clean feeling.

16th January, 2014

Loki11's avatar

Gave it a thumbs up, just.

Soft, warm and spicy. Somehow calming. Inoffensive.

I wouldn't say it's a 100% masculine scent, which I was surprised to find considering it's reputation. It's just too... gentle.

In it's favour, it smells far less dated than some of the other drugstore colognes (like Tabac). Still, younger guys might want to opt for some of the modern spinoffs, like OS Whitewater.

15th January, 2014 (Last Edited: 23rd January, 2014)

Add your review of Old Spice