Old Spice (1937)
    by Procter & Gamble (orig. by Shulton)

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 362 ratings

Old Spice Fragrance Notes

Old Spice information

One of the classic men's fragrances. Introduced by Shulton in the thirties.
    Many collect Old Spice memorabilia, such as shaving bowls and bottles.
    The Old Spice brand is now owned by Procter & Gamble.

Reviews of Old Spice

Showing 1 to 6 of 116 reviews.

seansdi's avatar

A very spicy and floral scent that has stood the test of time. I'm in my mid 30's and use it every day. If you want to experience the true classic scent of Old Spice, you need to purchase the Indian made version. It comes in the classic glass bottle and has the "true" fragrance of Old Spice. For some reason, the USA Proctor and Gamble version smells too sweet while the Indian made version smells just right (more spicy and less sweeter than the USA version).

27th February, 2015

nwhite14's avatar

What else can be said about the grand daddy of men's perfumery? Probably the most successfully marketed fragrance of all time and still smells great even straight out of the plastic bottle. Although, I never agreed with P&G changing to plastic so I just refill my vintage glass bottles with the new stuff. Keep the splash alive, wear your Old Spice proudly and give your son someone to look up to even more. Thumbs up for Dad's everywhere!

26th January, 2015

Odor Miris's avatar

Smiling after reading many reviews from positive to quite negative...my response? It's Old Spice for Crips sake! Yes, it does remind me of gentler days, Dad, barbershops, manual transmissions, black and white TV's...so what? It is what it is...a classic (well, the Shulton version anyway). Good for a Saturday morning splash after a meticulous shave with nothing on the agenda except to put on your worn flannel shirt, jeans, boat shoes and get out and clean the garage! Now off to a lunch of PB&J and some Campbell's Tomato Soup!

29th November, 2014

AMAR_420's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Must have smelled really exotic when it was lounged in 1973.
    This is a comfortable home scent, the older version. Haven't bought a bottle in years though.

29th September, 2014

Zenwannabee's avatar

GQ published an article circa 2008 on men's cologne, deriding fragrances from the '80s, and any others that made you "smell like a dad." I was a bit nonplussed--why should I worry about smelling like a dad? After all, I am one.

What I took this to mean is that perhaps this scent is not for everyone, maybe younger folks who are still searching for that perfect frag, knowing it to be just beyond the next horizon. Well, for me, here it is, no further beyond the horizon than my nearest drugstore. It is my daily go-to, constant companion and, at the risk of sounding déclassé, simply a classic.

Now I love designer fragrances, but if I went missing and my kids had to wave something under the bloodhounds' noses, it would be Old Spice (and they'd probably put a bottle for me as well in the little barrel around the St. Bernard's neck). Sometimes a scent doesn't need to do anything spectacular, doesn't need to prove anything. It just has to work for you. This does for me.

10th March, 2014 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2014)

dreese's avatar

If we set nostalgia aside, memories from a time when men's fragrances were manly because they were soaked in musk, we have to face the fact that they do not smell very good. I continue to receive these scents-Old Spice, Brut, Aqua Velva, etc. -as gifts and remember in the 60s and 70s when these were worn by virtually every man around. They are rugged and manly, but it seems that they ADD to the masculine aromas we would prefer to counteract (body odor, sweat) rather than compound. I have never found any pleasing qualities in these fragrances and have witnessed countless instances when men wearing these fragrances pass by and folks assaulted by the scent wrinkle their noses or cough.
    There are some excellent manly fragrances from this period; Aramis, Halston Z-14, and Lagerfeld to name a few.
    In summary, Old Spice and Brut need to go away because they are simply awful.

18th January, 2014 (Last Edited: 03rd February, 2014)

Add your review of Old Spice

Member images of Old Spice

There are no member images of Old Spice yet. Why not be the first?