Old Spice (1937)
by Procter & Gamble (originally by Shulton)

Old Spice information

Year of Launch1937

HouseProcter & Gamble
Originally byShulton
PerfumerAlbert Hauck

About Old Spice

One of the classic men's fragrances. Introduced by Shulton in the thirties.
Many collect Old Spice memorabilia, such as shaving bowls and bottles.
The Old Spice brand is now owned by Procter & Gamble.

Reviews of Old Spice

A late returnee to Old Spice here and the surprise is a pleasant one. I've encountered bottles at varying points in the last 30-odd years, but now it seems the time is right.
I can't remember if the scent of those past bottles differs from the current one I have. This one is the 'original' aftershave, purchased in Europe and apparently made here. Very reasonably priced and in the satisfyingly weighty glass bottle.

Some of the negative reviews have dismissed it as a cheap musk-bomb, but that's a highly simplistic appraisal. As it goes on the first experience is the spiced orange-bergamot with a light talc-like undertone. This rapidly gives way to the cinnamon mingling with roses, but the bottom notes also start to emerge quite early on. Eventually those bottom note aromas of woodiness, muskiness and the frankincense -citrus spiciness, which is really there throughout, give a warming finish. Like warm, spiced brandy and woodshavings dropped into a beautiful lady's leather handbag...if you will!
The top and middle notes don't last quite long enough before the bottom notes take over, which is it's only real fault. The spicy dry-down also manages not to smell like detergent.

Yes, it has the associations with traditional grooming and barbershops and clubs of another era (nearly everyone once wore it), but that is reassuringly satisfying. Old Spice doesn't shout like a modern fragrance, it is subdued and self-assured.

Some young-men under 30 will probably not want to, or be able to wear Old Spice without feeling self-consciously fogeyish; though for others it may just work. The 20-something crowd need not even apply to club Old Spice, but for the over 30s it can work a treat.
04th May, 2015 (last edited: 05th May, 2015)
A very spicy and floral scent that has stood the test of time. I'm in my mid 30's and use it every day. If you want to experience the true classic scent of Old Spice, you need to purchase the Indian made version. It comes in the classic glass bottle and has the "true" fragrance of Old Spice. For some reason, the USA Proctor and Gamble version smells too sweet while the Indian made version smells just right (more spicy and less sweeter than the USA version).
27th February, 2015
What else can be said about the grand daddy of men's perfumery? Probably the most successfully marketed fragrance of all time and still smells great even straight out of the plastic bottle. Although, I never agreed with P&G changing to plastic so I just refill my vintage glass bottles with the new stuff. Keep the splash alive, wear your Old Spice proudly and give your son someone to look up to even more. Thumbs up for Dad's everywhere!
26th January, 2015
Smiling after reading many reviews from positive to quite negative...my response? It's Old Spice for Crips sake! Yes, it does remind me of gentler days, Dad, barbershops, manual transmissions, black and white TV's...so what? It is what it is...a classic (well, the Shulton version anyway). Good for a Saturday morning splash after a meticulous shave with nothing on the agenda except to put on your worn flannel shirt, jeans, boat shoes and get out and clean the garage! Now off to a lunch of PB&J and some Campbell's Tomato Soup!
29th November, 2014
Must have smelled really exotic when it was lounged in 1973.
This is a comfortable home scent, the older version. Haven't bought a bottle in years though.
29th September, 2014
GQ published an article circa 2008 on men's cologne, deriding fragrances from the '80s, and any others that made you "smell like a dad." I was a bit nonplussed--why should I worry about smelling like a dad? After all, I am one.

What I took this to mean is that perhaps this scent is not for everyone, maybe younger folks who are still searching for that perfect frag, knowing it to be just beyond the next horizon. Well, for me, here it is, no further beyond the horizon than my nearest drugstore. It is my daily go-to, constant companion and, at the risk of sounding déclassé, simply a classic.

Now I love designer fragrances, but if I went missing and my kids had to wave something under the bloodhounds' noses, it would be Old Spice (and they'd probably put a bottle for me as well in the little barrel around the St. Bernard's neck). Sometimes a scent doesn't need to do anything spectacular, doesn't need to prove anything. It just has to work for you. This does for me.
10th March, 2014 (last edited: 11th March, 2014)

Add your review of Old Spice

Shop for Old Spice products online

Search Amazon for Old Spice

Member images of Old Spice

There are no member images of Old Spice yet. Why not be the first?