Old Spice (1937)
by Procter & Gamble (originally by Shulton)

Old Spice information

Year of Launch1937

HouseProcter & Gamble
Originally byShulton
PerfumerAlbert Hauck

About Old Spice

One of the classic men's fragrances. Introduced by Shulton in the thirties.
Many collect Old Spice memorabilia, such as shaving bowls and bottles.
The Old Spice brand is now owned by Procter & Gamble.

Reviews of Old Spice

Easily among the all-time best bargains in fragrance. It’s amazingly well-blended. Even modern formulations retain a high degree of sophistication and style. Don’t be put off by its supposed “grandpa” or “too common” reputation. Just splash a little on for the sheer enjoyment. Don’t be surprised if women lean in a little closer to catch a whiff. Old Spice is widely regarded as a “daddy” fragrance. There are times when being perceived as daddy isn’t a bad thing at all. A soft vanilla/carnation scent, Old Spice would smell great on beautiful, confident women as well. It’s maybe the male-marketed equivalent of Chanel No. 5 in terms of worldwide fame and instant recognition. Old Spice, a well-worn pair of jeans, a flannel shirt. . . straight from iconic style heaven.
27th February, 2018
The modern juice is still a true performer with excellent value. A fantastic blend of scents with a very appropriate moniker, as well. This could easily be the king of all barbershop scents except for the frugality of the average barber. Its cheap but was never cheap enough to meet their requirements. Instead OS made its way big time as an over the counter frag. I would consider it to be a prized gem if it were not so darn common. So, I still must have it about, it was dad's scent on those rare days that he wore one. I truly enjoy this one off and on in the privacy of our home.
I wish I could find something very similar yet different enough to wear out and about.
09th February, 2018
Rugged, manly and
Disturbingly feminine
To this post-niche nose.

Life barely hiding
That Fashion subverts itself
By very Nature

Proving that Fashion's
Time and gender both cannot
Be precisely known

Not lost on Coco
In her prior researches
On Time's wavy locks

Lovingly set free
When she trimmed her own one day
And Blue Cheer didn't.
21st December, 2017
Despite its low price and ubiquity, I think it's still one of the best fragrances ever constructed. It's top notes, which remain for only a few minutes, are citrus and cinnamon (the cinnamon lasting longer than the citrus). Its heart a warm rose, and its base a creamy amber. The dry down is powdery. A truly wonderful scent that has earned its place as a classic. Unfortunately, it isn't something I would feel comfortable wearing out of the house due to it's perceived cheapness and lowliness. A more refined example of this spicy, oriental would be Guerlain's Habit Rouge, which is more leathery and waxy, but it's a much more sophisticated example of this class of scents.
05th October, 2017
When I was a kid my grandfather wore Old Spice aftershave if he wasn't splashing on some witch hazel.Old Spice does smell good on people but I just can't wear this stuff...far too synthetic and rough.

The cinnamon has a very metallic finish to it...feels like I'm rubbing on cinnamon mixed with metal shavings from the weird chemistry this has.The vanilla is creamy and sweet but something off in this I keep getting hints of...something like movie theatre popcorn butter.Anise and a little powdery...no complaints about it.

I used to like splashing on a little of this when I was a kid to feel like one of the guys in the house.But as I got older and encountered many fragrances over the decades,I was able to pick up deeper things in it's the synthetic qualities that made me shun Old Spice.Never tried the current formula but if people think that's a decline ? I don't see how it could be worse than it was 30 years ago.
10th January, 2017 (last edited: 14th April, 2018)
The stuff is classic... What else is there to say?
The original Shulton is what I'm talkin about here people! I work as a firefighter in a busy city so needless to see if I'm going to smell like something other than smoke it better be masculine. I'm a younger guy so I don't overdo it but the senior men appreciate the classic vibe as it relates to a strong physical work ethic and overall masculine nostalgia. Some things never die.
20th August, 2016

Add your review of Old Spice

Shop for Old Spice products online

Shop for Old Spice at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Old Spice

Member images of Old Spice

There are no member images of Old Spice yet. Why not be the first?