Opium pour Homme (1995)

PackagingPierre Dinand
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > YSL Beaute
Parent Company at launchElf Aquitaine > Sanofi Beauté

About Opium pour Homme

A very sweet oriental fragrance. Opium Homme is the male counterpart to the original Opium (Ladies).
The Opium fragrances were banned in some countries because of the name.

Opium pour Homme fragrance notes

Reviews of Opium pour Homme

Sweet n' Spicy...

Opium pour Homme is a wonderful balance of sweet notes and spices. Sweet as in Bourbon Vanilla and Blackcurrant... and Spicy, Woody & Aromatic in the Galanga, Atlas Cedar, Tolu Balsam, Pepper and Star Anise.

It's one that I really enjoy wearing. Of course I prefer the Eau de Parfum, but the Eau de Toilette is still very good. It's everything I want in an oriental really, just enough spice, just enough sweetness. It's luxurious, sophisticated... I don't find it too dated, but it has been called that by some people. I also find it more of a cooler weather fragrance, but as long as it's sprayed with a light hand, it could work in the heat too.

After a while, Opium pour Homme turns into a very nice skin-scent and the rich combination of Vanilla and Tolu Balsam comes out, and it's really something! I have no problem recommending this fragrance for someone who is mature in spirit but also young. It could work on the right person with the right attitude. Similarly on older men it would work fantastic. Again, everything I want in an oriental fragrance. A really underrated choice for men I think. One to try out and wear before deciding to buy, it really grows on you!
09th December, 2014
Despite being clearly “inferior” to its feminine companion, I still find Opium pour Homme such a lovely and compelling scent. Even quite unique, honestly. The opening is fantastic to me: sweet, talc, an invigorating and bold balsamic-anisic feel and a radiant accord of “bright” spices (à la Fendi Theorema, or feminine Opium himself) with a tiny, bittersweet fruity note on a mellow base of sandalwood and cedar – so really aromatic, round and balmy. I also get something like geranium, halfway minty and floral. I admit I have a penchant for such “clean” scents, and Opium pour Homme surely is one of the nicest around: it’s bright, fresh, vibrant but in a peculiar soft and mellow way, remarkably sweet without being a gourmand – instead keeping it irresistibly “airy” and fresh. I get the similarities with Jaipur Homme, especially for the dandyish soapy-talc feel, but there’s also a mile of difference, mostly because Jaipur is far more warm, rich, almondy, “lusciously” powdery. Opium instead is quite more restrained and thin (and fruitier-balmier) built around a more subtle kind of refinement, an unusual sophisticated mood played on sweet, elusive and thin notes, really aromatic yet “weightless” in a way, like aniseed and cedar (which is really clean and discreet here). Not a masterpiece, but still a fascinating interplay of transparencies, silences, a sort of white-azure harmony of notes with just a hint of darker shades, especially on the drydown. Probably not that distinctive but really pleasant, versatile, cozy and unisex.

7,5-8/10
15th November, 2014
Genre: Woody Oriental

Make no mistake: this has very little to do with Opium. A “masculine” take on Opium’s huge, spicy, amber oriental formula might have been nice, but it’s frankly unnecessary, as the original (used sparingly,) arguably smells more convincing on a man these days anyway. Opium pour Homme opens with a brisk lemon top note, followed by a sweet balsam and wood heart accord that spotlights cedar and Asian spices. It doesn’t even remotely approach the depth and complexity of the original, which makes it much easier to wear, but also much less interesting. Shorn of Opium’s monumental spiced florals, Opium pour Homme smells hollow and generic, especially once the sweet vanillic amber and cedar drydown sets in.

With so many spicy woody oriental scents available for men, I see no good reason to choose Opium pour Homme over any other. Héritage, Jaïpur Homme, and JHL all in their own way offer more substance, while among niche offerings Diptyque’s Eau Lente and Nicolaï’s Maharadjah cover similar territory to Opium pour Homme with far greater panache. Then again, if you’re looking for a spicy oriental, you could just bite the bullet and wear Opium.
22nd June, 2014
I had not worn Opium pour Homme for a while. I forgot how wonderful this fragrance is. From the beginning to the end it just makes me feel so happy. I really do not like spicy fragrances, but this one is just right. Not strong at all and the dry down is sweet and gentle. I especially like the vanilla and anise notes. Very masculine and sexy.
11th April, 2014
Amazing strong scent for a cold/dry day. Works well sprayed under layers and lasts all day long. I find myself wearing this when, I know damn well, I'm going to be outside a lot on a cold ass day.

I definitely have to be in the mood for this powerhouse.
Keeps good...I still have a bottle of the original form and it smells fantastic.
Very unique scent.
15th February, 2014
Sharp oriental

YSL's Opium and Boucheron Jaipur are my 2 beloved designer oriental treasures of all time.

Where Jaipur is perfect for summer this is a autumn / winter oriental and will be killing in the sun
Its a compliment getter for sure i imagine an indian prince getting a full body massage from his feminine staff with etherical oils of all spices of India.
It puts a warm sulty glow around you wearing it. great combination of spice 'n fruits and herbs.
And guess what! i bought a bottle (old reformulation) for cheap :-)

TIP:Dont use it in hot,warm weather its so harsh then it breaks apart and gets cloying.

Pros: Big oriental
Cons: Harsh"

25th August, 2013

Add your review of Opium pour Homme

Shop for Opium pour Homme products online

Shop for Opium pour Homme at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Opium pour Homme

Member images of Opium pour Homme

There are no member images of Opium pour Homme yet. Why not be the first?