Or Black (1982)

Year of Launch1982

HousePascal Morabito
PerfumerJean-Louis Sieuzac

About Or Black

A leather chypre fragrance with notes of pepper, leather, vetiver and amber.

This was once discontinued but is now available once again.

The company say:

In his reference book Perfumes : The Guide, Luca Turin gives it the 5 stars optimal grade, “Or Black is an extreme fougère, smoky, dark, bitter, resinous-green, like triple-distilled Earl Grey, a step beyond even Rive Gauche pour Homme in its saturnine glory. Sensational”. In order to constitute the Parfum Couple with its predecessor Or Noir, Or Black was created in 1981. The new version is a subtle mix of ephemeral bergamot and pepper’s hints to which is added precious woody aromatics heart’s notes. Or Black suits self-confident and well-grounded man who makes the most of the male and sensual character of the perfume as well as its animalized notes. Or Black can be enhanced by the skin of a woman.

Or Black fragrance notes

Reviews of Or Black

Another fan. The earlier reference to Kolnisch Juchten rings true. I also sense a lot of overlap with the sour green petrol bits in Dior's Fahrenheit. Good longevity.
09th July, 2017
I find it hard to review this fragrance. Beneath the surface it's a master fragrance.
You can tell it is an 80s fragrance but the oakmoss here seems to be wrapped in a suede pouch with some cooling mint effect in the opening.
It feels like a smoother version of Dunhill Blend 30 with some elements of vintage Bois du Portugal.
You smoke a cigarette wearing Dunhill Blend 30 and you'll get in Or Black territory.
Very interesting but not my style.

31st March, 2017
I've worn this four times now, from what I believe was a vintage sample. I've been getting consistently fair results, except during the third wearing when it bloomed and became especially nice. This reminds me a little of Frederic Malle Dan Tes Bras.
04th March, 2017
Stardate 20161223:

A nice herbal, smoky masculine fragrance. It has spices and a certain soapiness to it.
There is a soap - Cinthol, that was perhaps the first "Made for Real Men" soap in India. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSqaoQBgacY.

Cinthol has borrowed heavily from Or Black.

recommended in any form/vintage

23rd December, 2016
I've been taking notes on this for the better part of a decade. It's my most worn fragrance (by far) over the same period of time...yet, I still find myself unable to produce words that I think do it justice.

All I can do is express my appreciation for such a unique and complex fragrance that suits my personal preferences so exactly. I appreciate both the vintage and re-launch almost equally and find the differences near negligible, the newer having a slightly peppery facet.

Like previous reviewers have already stated, it's hard to pin down genre-wise and I've given up trying, opting instead to just enjoy it's utterly refined presence on my skin.

It's a leather, it's a chypre, it's kind of a fougère, it's herbal, it's animalic, it's just outstanding and unmatched in my eyes.
20th June, 2016
Tasted this first in the 80's. Speechless then, speechless now. Well almost.
Latest tasting of "New" has me in awe.
This is so utterly Masculine. The Dark Green so Deep Woods, the Bergamot, Cistus and Moss so balanced, it only hints to a Savon. An ethereal wisp of the smoke. The Vetiver and Sage provide a smooth, sleek Panther-like drydown. I should have known, Jean-Louis Sieuzac.
Take a deep breath, slide into the Maserati, press the pedal and slip past 130 in a microsecond.

Or Yes!!
30th March, 2016 (last edited: 06th September, 2016)

Add your review of Or Black

Shop for Or Black products online

Search Amazon for Or Black

Member images of Or Black

There are no member images of Or Black yet. Why not be the first?