Oscar de la Renta pour Lui (1981)
by Oscar de la Renta

About Oscar de la Renta pour Lui

FIFI award winner in 1981

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui fragrance notes

Reviews of Oscar de la Renta pour Lui

There is something very dark blue about this fragrance, and it's not just the glass of the bottle.

It smells like the color Indigo to me, maybe indigo velvet. Yes, this is a leather scent, but theres something dark, fruity and rich about it. This one is much more than the sum of its parts! To see the note pyramid, it's kind of hard to believe those things equal THIS scent. It's just really well blended. I have experienced scents where I can tell "ah, that's heliotrope". Not here. It smells like itself rather than its ingredients.

It's an extremely unique scent that is difficult to describe in words. Whatever it is, I think it's a masterpiece.
25th January, 2020
Smells great, but did it really come out in 1981? I remember smelling this on a coworker in 1980 and complimenting him on it. Nevertheless, I love it. Has anyone smelled or tested the new Oscar Pour Lui Fresh?
28th May, 2019
Note: Review is of the current version.

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui is a venerable 80s powerhouse scent, but I have no idea how it was in the 80s or the later decades. I'm only familiar with the most current version. I can understand the cordial reception it garners among perfume lovers, but it leaves me unaffected personally. This is a herbal leather scent with a dry down of woods (and a touch of moss in this version), in the same neighbourhoods as Antaeus or Derby (but not as nuanced or sophisticated). I love Antaeus and vintage Derby, but the trouble with Pour Lui is that I find this particular blend of herbs a little disagreeable. It is very similar to the herbal accord in One Man Show. I find little similarities with vintage Patou pour Homme. I do not notice much spice, and the dry down is less herbal and more leathery-woody. I found both sillage and duration to be around average based on a moderate application.

I love earlier leather scents, because apart from being (generally) well crafted, they are also very versatile and can be dressed up or down, not to add that a certain retro appeal adds to the charm. In this case, however, I'd pass on Pour Lui for something like Antaeus which is smoother, more sophisticated and also lasts longer when comparing the current versions. Around similar priced fragrances, I prefer Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme (similar leather scent but with a touch of rose, and more crisp/fresh, and a different herbal blend) or Bogart Signature (more understated, but crisp and refined). In the case of Pour Lui, I'm curious if I'd have a very different opinion if I tried the vintage.

P.S. I also have Oscar de la Renta pour Lui Fresh, which isn't listed on Basenotes or Fragrantica. This one seems to be a recent release. It is sort of a fuzzier version of Bleu de Chanel EdT, and doesn't smell anything like Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui.
25th March, 2019
So, I've got a 2013-bottle of this glorious green, floral, mossy, leathery and very manly nectar (yes that's excactly how the 2013 edition smells like!) and I LOVE it.
And when that edition smells this good, I can just imagine how damn fine the vintage must be...

Al Pacino in a bottle! The hunt begins...
14th December, 2018
I give kudos to this powerhouse scent, a staple from the 1980's era.

OdlRpL contains the requisite number of spice and floral elements that yield a scinitillating, dark potion that is classy and confident. As a youth, the Oscar de la Renta label had always captivated me as one of the nicer labels out there, and I seemed to locate a bottle of this monster in just about every man's cologne cabinet back then. Now that I'm in my 40's, I'm ambivalent in that I can still respect the place of OdlRpL in its time, yet I personally have evolved in a different direction in my own prime years of scent exploration (the 1990's and forward). OdlRpL is more a curiosity for me now that I can smile at with reminiscence, but there are other aromatic-mossy fougere scents - whether from that era or more recent - that I'd rather sport if I am in the mood.

Nonetheless, OdlRpL is still a credible cologne that is still love it or hate it. If you happen to come across a bottle in someone's collection, be ready to take a trip back to gaudy, tumultuous 80's from whence it originated and lasted!!
17th August, 2018

I get carnation and a melting bar of white soap. The fern is the green accord that I get and I'm just not attracted to it. Something about the fern makes me think of dead and musty orchids being hit by the sun. The cinnamon in this is okay but very syrupy which rubs with the incense. The core of the fragrance is the answer to why the glass is blue...it's a laundry musk note. Musk blended with a thick Tide laundry detergent smell.

Oscar De La Renta Pour Lui doesn't smell like fragrance craftsmanship as it does a science experiment. An experiment to see how colorful you can make a fragrance with the most synthetic notes. It smells really freaking cheap and crass with no style at all. It's a mongrel of a scent.

06th June, 2018 (last edited: 03rd January, 2020)

Add your review of Oscar de la Renta pour Lui

Shop for Oscar de la Renta pour Lui products online

Shop for Oscar de la Renta pour Lui at online perfumeries

Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui Cologne 1.6 Oz Eau de Toilette Spray VINTAGE 90% Full

End Date: Saturday Feb-22-2020 14:58:16 PST
Buy It Now for only: $21.59
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Oscar Pour Lui Oscar De La Renta Hair&Body Wash Gel Unboxed 6.7 Oz (200 Ml) Mens

End Date: Saturday Feb-22-2020 15:36:56 PST

Oscar Pour Lui Fresh by Oscar De La Renta for Men - 3 oz EDT Spray

End Date: Sunday Feb-23-2020 5:48:19 PST
Buy It Now for only: $19.62
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Pour Lui By Oscar De La Renta- EDT SPRAY- MEN- 1.6 FL OZ- NEW (C1)

End Date: Sunday Feb-23-2020 6:17:27 PST

Oscar de La Renta Pour Lui 3oz Men's Cologne EDT Spray New In Sealed Box

End Date: Sunday Feb-23-2020 15:36:20 PST
Buy It Now for only: $17.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui 1.65oz 50ml Eau deToilette Spray 1980's -ALMOST FULL-

End Date: Sunday Feb-23-2020 15:50:47 PST
Buy It Now for only: $55.00

Member images of Oscar de la Renta pour Lui

There are no member images of Oscar de la Renta pour Lui yet. Why not be the first?