Paco Rabanne Pour Homme (1973)
by Paco Rabanne

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme information

Year of Launch1973

HousePaco Rabanne
PerfumerJean Martel
PackagingPierre Dinand
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group > Puig Prestige Beauty Brands

About Paco Rabanne Pour Homme

A classic, includes notes of lavender, oakmoss and tobacco. Recently, the packaging was updated but the scent remains the same.
FIFI awards winner in 1975

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme fragrance notes

Reviews of Paco Rabanne Pour Homme

A new favorite!

But before I get to the praise, let me tell you, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme smells very dated! I'm a fan of older fragrances, and even to me, this one feels a little too conspicuous to wear in 2017.
This cologne says, "Hey baby, what's your sign?"
However, despite coming out in 1973 it smells nothing at all like Jovan Musk, or Halston 1-12 (which came out three years later). In my opinion, it's clearly an antecedent of fragrances like Drakkar Noir and Trussardi Uomo. Not necessarily in composition, but in style. Although it's undeniably macho, which might come across as sleazy to anyone not in their 50s, there's a freshness that permeates throughout the entirety of the fragrance's life. I finally get what people mean when they describe something as being soapy. It smells like the color of its bottle.
When I sprayed this on my wrist, I was constantly sniffing it throughout the day.
I like that this is clearly a fragrance for a man, macho, and yet surprisingly fresh. I wish this style of cologne was still in fashion but it's not.

WHAT IT'S NOT LIKE:
Usually I say what a cologne is like, but in my limited experience I can't think of anything that this one is similar to.
It's not like Brut which gets kind of powdery, it's not like any of the Jovan's which smell super pungent and oft putting to me, nor is it like the Halston brothers. It's not sand paper rough like Polo either.

CONCLUSION:
I don't see a young guy pulling this off at all. Shoot, I don't even know if an older guy can pull this off today. If you're thinking that you're going to find some unknown fragrance from yesteryear to compete with the dude's wearing Bleu de Chanel and 1 Million, forget it. This is not the one.
BUT...if you like old school men's fragrances pre-90s you're probably going to love this one.
I'm going to buy a bottle of this and wear it once in awhile just to make myself happy. That's how much I like this fragrance.
25th August, 2017 (last edited: 02nd September, 2017)
Wow, this one packs quite a punch! Paco Rabanne pour Homme reminds me that, way before Invictus and 1 Million came on the scene, this company was still putting out potent colognes that polarized both wearers and smellers alike!

PRpH is a relic that reflects its decade well (namely, the 70’s): Loud, brash, daring, experimental, individual. The result is a musky-spicy-soapy potion combined with needed touches of moss, tonka, and amber to keep it somewhat tamed. Spices dance together like a crowded disco, creating a wall of sensation begging you to dance!

It’s clean and approachable even today…compared to a LOT of the men’s colognes that came out during that era from the many and sundry houses - Hai Karate, Halston, Oscar de la Renta, Givenchy, Yves St. Laurent, Giorgio Beverly Hills, Anucci, Capucci, Jacomo, etc. etc.
30th April, 2017
Zowiee Show all reviews
Love both the vintage and current version. The vintage was great "back then", but the current version is really solid for what a men's fragrance can smell like today. No need to have roaring "fume-bombs" for every fragrance!
I love the interplay of the top notes as they morph into the lavender and geranium heart.
For those who smell similarities to Azzaro PH, sorry I just don't smell it. And I love APH.
19th March, 2017
Very masculen and strong opening. Stay with you a whole day, and at night you can still smell it. Soap scent is more dominant but the citrus waves it's hand under it very lightly. This is a must continue to produce perfume and suitable for man over 35. Used one bottle but can't find on any retailer in my hometown.
17th February, 2017
Nice fragrance. Clean and fresh opening with a fizzy citrus and spices. I'm picking up a note that reminds me of something I've smelled in Halston's Z-14...makes me wonder what woods are going on in Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. I'll have to check out the notes to see. I'm enjoying this one so far.
18th January, 2017
Stardate 20160909:

A classic barbershop but with extra soap.
Unfortunately, this has been rendered useless by reformulations.
Buy the vintage.