Palais Jamais (1989)

Palais Jamais information

Year of Launch1989

HouseEtro

About Palais Jamais

Palais Jamais is a shared / unisex perfume by Etro. The scent was launched in 1989

Palais Jamais fragrance notes

Reviews of Palais Jamais

Stardate 20190611:

Love the way it is constructed. Somehow the jasmine kills vetiver's green bite and vetiver destroys jasmine's skank. Or perhaps they mask it. In any case just superb.
Then there is the smell of tea which stays throughout in the background.
The vintage bottle had an apt tagline - Tea in the garden of Allah.

Buy the vintage gold cap bottle.
11th June, 2019
Very interesting and a sparkling beginning which goes into a more interesting and complex evolution. Green, earthy and woody. It has vetiver, tea, it's herbal, aromatic and smoky. And what a great name: "Palais Jamais".
18th March, 2018
If you miss the vintage formulation of L'air de Rien, try Palais Jamais. They are not identical, PJ is somewhat more citrus-oriented, but they definitely share that hazy, oak moss-y, halfway-between-organic-and-human feel that makes both of them such unusual and impossible to define scents. PJ has a bit more of a tea note going on, while L'air contains more dusty incense. I would also say that the Miller Harris frag lasts somewhat longer than the Etro. Regardless, if what you're after is an earthy but edgy, bohemian scent, this one has your name written all over it.
02nd October, 2017
This is my second Etro sampling. I liked Etro Vetiver more than this one.

The opening of Palais Jamais has promise, and it's an interesting fragrance worth smelling, but it's not something I especially enjoy wearing. As it develops, it gets worse: more artificial smelling, less floral, more cloying.
10th April, 2017
Palais Jamais is unique and original, as I am finding a number of Etros to be.

This is a light green herbal/citrus blend that descends from an anise opening to a smoky, woody, leather heart. There is just enough birch, oak moss and vetiver to give it weight, without drawing attention to any of those indvidual notes, suspended in perfect balance.

It's quietly and assuredly masculine. My image is that of a young man in turtleneck and leather jacket, who has just come in from the yard, arms full of wood, and is sitting at an open fireplace, stirring up the ash and assembling the wood to bring the new, slightly damp, wood to life. His citrus and lavender cologne mixes with the natural odors, emanating from his task.

This is a masterpiece in my opinion. About as different from the mainstream masculines as can be, while still assuredly being one of its best products.

Highly recommended.
25th November, 2015
I’m Irish and I have a secret: I don’t like the color green. Maybe it’s because it’s the color of the uniform that I had to wear day in, day out for eight years under the unforgiving glare of the nuns at the convent school I attended. Or maybe it’s because it’s the color of the grass in Ireland, which only got that way because it never stops bloody raining. Personally, I blame my mother (don’t we all?) for making me ingest boiled-to-death kale at least twice a week until I was old enough to say, “No thanks, I’ll be having some of those French fries instead.”

In perfume terms, a “green” perfume is either one of two things to me – an idealized representation of a bucolic meadow in springtime (Le Temps d’Une Fete, Chamade), or a bitchy, cold green chypre or green floral designed to put the fear of God into you (Cristalle, No. 19, Gucci No. 3). The first is pretty and elegant, but a little too pastoral for this urban chick. The second, well, I find green chypres to be excessively formal and more than a little unfriendly.

But last year, in an effort to be more rounded or ‘Catholic’ in my tastes, I went on a bit of a green perfume spree to try to find one that clicked with me. Patrica de Nicolai’s wonderful Vie de Chateau Intense came very close, but Palais Jamais was the one that won out in the end. In a way, I could say that Palais Jamais chose me, and not the other way around. It has such a definite character of its own that you suspect that it might have native intelligence and chooses to cooperate with your skin (or not).

Palais Jamais is urban. It is a moody creature of tea, smoke, rubber, tobacco, moss, leather, vetiver, and birch. Green it may be, but it is the green of collected urban habits – smoking cigarettes, wearing a black leather jacket, and smelling the scorched rubber smell of the motorbike you boyfriend just left on. It is kind of kinky, actually. On the one hand, it is silky smooth in texture, so I get an image of a silk paisley tie and a conservative silk suit. But the smoke, leather, and all-round badass attitude kind of brings to mind a man in a rubber sex mask in an East Berlin gay bar. So, Palais Jamais = both urban and urbane.

Palais Jamais chose me. And sometimes it still chooses me. But it acts kind of like those mood rings we used to wear back in the day – you know, the ones that turn red for angry, and blue for sad, and so on. Some days, this smells downright glorious on me. On other days, it surrounds me with a poisonous cloud of bad attitude. With Palais Jamais, you just have to judge the moment.
13th January, 2015

Etro Palais Jamais - 5ml Sample - 100% Authentic

End Date: Thursday Apr-16-2020 15:50:01 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $11.88

Member images of Palais Jamais

There are no member images of Palais Jamais yet. Why not be the first?