Passion for Men (1989)

HouseElizabeth Taylor
Parent CompanyRevlon Inc > Elizabeth Arden Inc
Parent Company at launchUnilever > Elizabeth Arden > Parfums International

About Passion for Men

Passion for Men is a masculine fragrance by Elizabeth Taylor. The scent was launched in 1989

Reviews of Passion for Men

Swanky Show all reviews
Long-lasting fragrance that is in the Obsession/Santa Fe lineage, but is better than those. It's sweet and spicy like them, but holds together a bit better. If not oversprayed, it stays just this side of cloying.
31st August, 2018
Elizabeth Taylor was one of the great actresses of Hollywood's "Golden Age", starting as a child actress and making the leap into stardom as an adult, which was extremely difficult in any age. Her career slowed after the 60's and she became more famous for her many divorces than her films after a time, but she helped start the trend of celebrities curating their own brand outside film/music/sports/TV by launching her own fragrance and jewelry line by the late 80's. Only one masculine scent ever saw release on her label, and it was this one, a masculine flanker to her debut fragrance appearing 2 years after the original feminine. Elizabeth Taylor's Passion for Men has since become a darling of big box stores and discounters everywhere, and the go-to bit of "cut-above" class for the guy that typically doesn't wander outside Coty, Avon, Claiborne, or Jôvan. It's adequate enough as a genre-bridging powerhouse fougère/oriental hybrid, but it's "the works" construction combined with relatively cheap materials hampered it's credibility with connoisseurs, as it ends up with too many irritating edges in spite of itself.

Passion for Men opens with a "vavoom" of notes, including some pretty sugary fig, orange, lemon, and bergamot; it's not quite gourmand territory even though it has as many gourmand notes as some actual gourmands. I remember this being like a fruitier, cheaper Obsession for Men (1986) in the opening, which is one of it's detractors for me. Galbanum, neroli and lavender seek to bring this back in a greener fougère direction, but they hardly succeed before the middle phase, as the fruit is too potent. Spicies in the middle further the oriental connection with Obsession, but this isn't a clone, so once the "everything bagel" that is the middle of carnation, sandalwood, patchouli, cedar, cinnamon, nutmeg, geranium, and balsam fir are through being saucy, we're allowed to catch our breath just long enough for the base. Anyone with experience wearing the feminine Elizabeth Taylor's Passion (1987) knows how dense this journey can be. Tonka, vetiver, styrax, musk, amber, oakmoss, and vanilla seek to suffocate the wearer in a combo of fougère roundness and oriental thickness, like a burger to big to wrap your jaw around, with the itchy sweet fruit opening coming back to haunt when air strikes spots of clothing the scent may have hit. It's certainly a journey and a half, so fans of sheer power won't be disappointed, but there's no grace here, not one iota.

I don't hate Passion for Men, but it's a scent that tries to be too much within the confines of it's budget; Elizabeth Taylor licensed manufacturing and distribution rights to Elizabeth Arden, if that's any indication of the quality, and we're not talking vintage Arden when they fought tooth and nail with Estée Lauder and Revlon, but after Unilever (and ironically Revlon) had gobbled Arden. Passion for Men is a decent enough decadent scent if such a scent is needed on a budget for a coworker's wedding or neighbor's graduation, but it's too tacky for dating and too itchy for my tastes otherwise, as it's clashing top and middle just makes me yearn for better orientals that have more balance. The fruity gourmand-ish top was a novel idea in 1989, but sadly not executed well. Don't let my neutral rating stop you from exploring this however, especially for the price, as pound-for-pound it's great performance for the dollar and an interesting transitional scent at the abutment of decades that may totally work with your tastes and sense of style, it just doesn't work with mine. Shame we never got a male counterpart to White Diamonds (1991), as that might have proven to be a nice generalist.
21st March, 2018
I love Elizabeth Taylor's Passion for Men! I think it could be considered a gourmand. It reminds me of Angel Men by Thierry Mugler. I've worn Passion for Men ever since it came out and I give it to those friends of mine that love it and will actually wear it. I get compliments on it all the time. I'm so glad it is still in production.
22nd February, 2018
Cheaply constructed oriental fragrance but ETPM does have its charms. At first glance, it reminds me crude version of YSL’s Opium for Men. ETPM is lighter than Opium and has a nice incense-like note. There’s much better fragrances in this vein out there but ETPM remains a cheap thrill.

27th January, 2017
Not bad. Passion for Men defies the other LOUD man scents of the 1980's by being laid back with its woody and subtly spicy character. I would even describe it as smooth and masculine, a very inexpensive scent that isn't hard to obtain.

29th December, 2016
This was the first bottle of cologne that I bought back when I was in college in the 1990s (at a now extinct JC Penny located in a now dying mall) and I have identified with it and loved it ever since. It was the first celebrity scent before the term was ever thought of. Unlike the modern celebrities today who just put their name on it and make money, Elizabeth Taylor was very involved in the development of her fragrances and was instrumental in its design and its advertising campaign.

What I like most about it is that one has to be in my immediate space to detect it. To me, the initial scent I get is a nutmeg/ginger like spice smell mixed with lavender and it settles into a warm vanilla with hints of the initial scents that stay until the end. It's subtle, even when first applied. My brain gets used to it quickly, although those around me can smell in when they are in my personal space...around a foot from me.

This is my signature scent. On a regular work day, I'll use the deodorant and the aftershave (which are nearly impossible to find on their own but still in gift sets although even these are now scarce) and spray two to the chest, on each wrist, one to the hair. The oils of the fragrance absorb into the hair and it lasts all day. Even with that amount of cologne, it still remains subtle and close to the skin. Not many guys wear this anymore, and its unlike anything else. Some say it resembles CK Obsession, which may be true for them, but not on my skin. Obsession is "lighter" and more transparent. This one is veiled. One youtube reviewer called it "mysterious" and that's what first drew me to it as there are spice/floral/and wood all together and then seem to stand alone and then return together. The spice seems the most pronounced and long lasting in my hair.

I still have some of the vintage that I only use for special occasions. It lasts longer than the new version but it still very much Passion.

If I could have only one cologne, it would be this as it's very much me.
21st December, 2016 (last edited: 03rd January, 2017)

Add your review of Passion for Men

Shop for Passion for Men products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of Passion for Men