Patchouli Eau de Toilette (1993)
by Molinard

Patchouli Eau de Toilette information

Year of Launch1993

HouseMolinard

About Patchouli Eau de Toilette

Patchouli Eau de Toilette is a shared / unisex perfume by Molinard. The scent was launched in 1993

Patchouli Eau de Toilette fragrance notes

Reviews of Patchouli Eau de Toilette

Very strong, with only two little sprays from a decant. Patchouli is here straight away - in your face, so to speak. It is dark, earthy. It is almost animalic. Almost like tobacco. There is a woodiness like mahogany or polished, old oak. I believe geranium adds these characteristics. There is another, vague floral note here.

The patchouli here isn't covered or masked with any sweetness. Frankly, it stands on its own. It is the star.

Me, personally, I need a little sweetness to go with my patchouli fragrances. This Molinard reminds me a lot of Patchouly Indonesiano by Farmacia SS. Annunziata.

Becomes a bit woody-er as it wears.
21st February, 2019
While I could concoct a few paragraphs to introduce and set the stage for my appraisal of Molinard's Patchouli (don't believe me? Read my other reviews), I actually think it best to keep this one brief and to the point--just like this perfume. I have a complicated relationship with patchouli; sometimes I'm a total phobe (I blame overexposure after years and years in the hippie capitals of Austin and San Francisco), sometimes I'm patch-curious, and sometimes--as in right now--I'm mad for the stuff. My folie a patch stems from the fact that I get migraines, and they are frequent and usually crippling. For some reason that I don't completely understand, patchouli works wonders on the pain and all its accompanying symptoms--nausea, disorientation, praying for death--and, moreover, when I'm in the middle of a serious migraine, I become unusually fond of the dirty/swampy/mossy aspects of patchouli that make the less refined versions mostly a no-go for me. I have no idea why this works--it's more than aromatherapy, because it's a very specific answer to a very specific problem.

So I'm writing this review from the depths of a migraine hole, and I'm wearing a generous coating of Molinard Patchouli. As implied above, I've tried more refined patchoulis that minimize or completely excise the dirty bits that conjure images of pond scum, tree moss, and other funky green stuff; I also love rose/patch combinations of all kinds because I'm a rose ho and that's just how I roll. But when I'm visited by the Migraine Fairy, I need cooling but pungent aromatics--menthol, camphor, mint, ginger and yes, patchouli. Something about all of these these smells pulls me out of the dark pit, and in the right doses they can begin to break up the solid ball of pain that parks behind my eyes, sometimes just enough to get a little relief before the curtain comes down again, and sometimes so effectively that I can return to the land of the living.

Molinard's patchouli fits right in the pocket--no distracting elements of powder, vanilla, rose, or much else seem to be in the mix here. I don't notice any citrus in the opening of my EdT, but I do get a giant blast of alcohol that's probably not intentional, but which works for my own quasi-medicinal uses. After that, something slightly floral seems to bloom out before an undressed green patchoui barrels on through, with plenty of eau de headshop along for the ride. Neverthesless, it's a more carefully calibrated wear than essential oil--it turns cool and dry as it develops, and it sits lightly on the skin and keeps its sillage mostly to itself. Is there amber in the drydown? Maybe something warm and still funky is anchoring this, but I usually reapply (or I am granted the mercy of a nap) before the drydown really kicks in.

I have the EdT version of this--the one that comes in the cheap bottle with sloped shoulders that I think Molinard is trying to phase out. I haven't tried the EdP, so I can't speak to its relative strength or value-added features. It appears that Molinard is trying a bit of repositioning with the new nichey packaging and the patch-vanilla options and whatnot, and that's great for them. I only hope they keep making this version, because it's more than just perfume to me--it's a medical necessity, especially at its price point. The only patch I've found that hits on the same cylinders is Farmacia Ss Annunziata's Patchouly Indonesiano, which is similarly straight-no-chaser. albeit more dense and commesurately expensive. I would love to have both, and I probably will at some point. But if you want a true patchouli perfume, without any bells and whistles, Molinard's uplifting little perfume delivers.
02nd May, 2018
I like patchouli, but this is the dirtiest, greenest patchouli that I have ever smelled. Too much patchouli and very little else.
03rd June, 2017
This is a middleweight patchouli fragrance. There is a citrus aroma initially (mostly orange), followed by a patchouli dominated fragrance with green elements. The patchouli note is clean, transparent, but a trifle hefty. There's nothing smoky or edgy or animalic in here. This patchouli accord endures till the end, where one finds some amber-y elements and a hint of sweetness. The sillage is moderate at first before being quite muted (especially considering the category), and duration is around six to seven hours - based on about 10 sprays from a sample (emptied out approx. close to 1 ml of it).

The best aspect of this one is good balance between the different elements, and how it distinguishes itself from patchouli EO because of the unmistakable note of citrus initially. Quite unisex IMO. It loses me after the first two hours as it becomes too sparse for my tastes, and the base is reasonably straightforward and disengaging. Worth trying, but far from the bee's knees - easy to wear and easy to forget. Relative to other popular patchouli fragrances, perhaps closest to Zegna's Javanese Patchouli (though still much different).

3/5 (neutral)

P.S. After a brief and brisk online investigation it appears that this particular fragrance I had a sample of happens to be the one that comes in the hideous purple bottle.
11th March, 2017
I don't know but I can't even stand this smell. This is the worst fragrance I have ever bought. Quite fascinated to see the reviews on basenote and bought a 100ML of this. Ended up selling it on ebay at far lesser price than I bought still happy to get rid of this. Don't buy unless you are confident to like the smell. This is not a blind buy at all. Longevity is very poor.
08th May, 2013
I really like this. My GF came home from work and thought I had been burning incense.
15th October, 2012

Vanille Patchouli By Molinard Perfume Women 3.3 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Sealed

End Date: Friday Apr-26-2019 16:01:03 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $105.95
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Les Senteurs PATCHOULI by Molinard Eau de Toilette EDT Spray 3.3 fl. oz.

End Date: Sunday Apr-28-2019 13:53:51 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $149.94

Vanille Patchouli Eau De Toilette Natural Spray 3.3oz By MOLINARD FOR WOMEN

End Date: Saturday May-11-2019 19:41:43 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $62.98
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Molinard Vanille Patchouli PERFUME 3.4oz-100ml EDT Spr RARE & DISCONTINUED (BI47

End Date: Monday May-13-2019 9:28:38 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $91.95

VANILLE PATCHOULI by Molinard 5ml Unisex Perfume Sample VANILLA

End Date: Tuesday May-14-2019 10:23:32 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $11.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Patchouli By Molinard Eau De Toilette For Women 3.3oz. NEW (No Cap)

End Date: Friday May-17-2019 17:43:23 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $109.99

Molinard Vintage Patchouli 3.4oz Unisex Eau de Toilette Discontinued

End Date: Sunday May-19-2019 3:51:36 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $315.00

Member images of Patchouli Eau de Toilette

There are no member images of Patchouli Eau de Toilette yet. Why not be the first?