Patrick (1999)

Patrick information

Year of Launch1999

HouseFragrances of Ireland

About Patrick

Patrick is a masculine fragrance by Fragrances of Ireland. The scent was launched in 1999

Patrick fragrance notes

Reviews of Patrick

Out of the dozens of classic "clean" fougères I tried over the years, Patrick is - to this day - the absolute winner of the category for me. Others are more complex, more refined or more praised, but when it comes to comfort, I think this is the ultimate grail. It's subjective, I know, but it works for me. As other reviewers said, the structure of Patrick is fairly simple, but not simplistic; it's basically a soapy fern scent, so there's a ton of sparkling crisp greenness laced with a fresh breeze of soap, all supported by a sort of nondescript mossy-earthy feel. It smells natural (sort of), deep enough to let you appreciate the notes, yet not too powerful - actually the contrary, this is a rather distinguished and discreet fragrance (contrary to many vintage examples of this same category, which may contain thicker and more natural ingredients, but mostly smelling way too rougher and bolder than Patrick).

Think of being on a fall holiday in the mountains and spending a day out in the woods, then coming home, having a relaxing bath and going out again for a quick stroll before dinner. That's Patrick, that calm, sunset-like feel of balsamic cleanliness, the artificial soapy notes blending with the smell of earth, leaves and cold branches. I know that hundreds of scents feature these notes, and yet I never found such a perfect balance of vibrancy and quiet haziness, creating a feel of deep comfort I basically never experienced with any other fragrance. Out of the many masterpieces I know and the few fragrances I "love" more than this, to this day Patrick is the only scent I can wear for several days in a row without getting tired of it. It's not particularly creative, doesn't scream "art" or utter quality, but it feels "home" in the purest and most irresistible way. Best "cheapo" ever made for me.

8,5/10
01st February, 2017
This fragrance opens clean, green and fresh with a lemon zest. It reminds me of a lot of different scents having a hint of each. It has the green feel of Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, the slight soapiness of Irish Spring Soap, a dash of citrus from Original Vetiver and the lemon zest of Original Lacoste scent.

It does evoke the green countryside in the Spring after a light shower. As time goes by a earthy Patchouli can be smelled mixed in with the green freshness. This is followed by a lot of woods making the scent smell earthy and woody. The feeling at this stage moves from the green pastures to the green earthy woodland.

To sum up a very clean and fresh green and earthy woody scent that is a bargain. It is a very good quality fragrance that is one of the most affordable you can buy.
01st December, 2014
drseid Show all reviews
I could go into great detail on individual notes with Patrick, but the bottom line is this smells nearly identical to Irish Spring soap. For those not familiar with the very popular brand, it is very green provided by gobs of fern at its heart with a mossy, musky base using vetiver and patchouli to provide a dirty undertone to the complete package. Patrick is very minimalist and extremely "masculine" smelling. Projection and longevity are both excellent.

Patrick is probably going to be a bit of a "love it or hate it" kind of scent as your loving it depends greatly on whether you enjoy Irish Spring soap. I grew up using the stuff and always liked the scent so I guess I am in the "love it" camp. That said, Patrick is just a tad disappointing because if I wanted to smell like Irish Spring I would use the soap at an even lower cost than the relatively inexpensive $26 a 100ml bottle price of Patrick. On the flip side, if you are looking for a good compliment to the soap and want that scent reinforced for the whole day, then look no further as this is about as close as you will ever find. Patrick earns a "good" 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5 and is recommended at its relatively low price point.
13th August, 2012
really huge here in Italy yonks ago, heavy marketing everywhere but it was the epitome of being cheesy and predictable!
02nd July, 2012
I love angular fougères. I've written that so many times on basenotes it feels like a mantra. If anyone is still producing encyclopedias in hard-bound book form (do they still exist?) the entry for fougère should have a scratch-and-sniff of Patrick. Others here on Basenotes have described it better than I can, so I'll just say that it's remarkably concise yet expressive. It so perfectly captures the soapiness, that defining attribute of the best fougères. It is exuberant yet simple, soapy yet earthy. These dualities make it not just interesting, but conversational.

The coumarin/lavender/musk balance is flawless, but Patrick, for all its simplicity and directness makes me marvel at the slow sleight of hand that takes place. The hay-like, singing fougère moves from barbershop about 2 paces into the realm of the green chypre. Spectacular transition! The coumarin, initially so closely held to the lavender and musk, joins hands with the moss, and turns around to look at you with a laughing smile.

Another spectacular, underestimated fragrance I discovered in the "Unsung Treasures" forum. Sensationally inexpensive, potent, long-lasting and easy to wear as an everyday fragrance.
08th September, 2011 (last edited: 11th September, 2011)
An excellent, classic fougere. Smells very natural, and comforting to me. No bells and whistles. Just a great, elegant and timeless fern.
10th August, 2011

Add your review of Patrick

Shop for Patrick products online

Search Amazon for Patrick

Member images of Patrick

There are no member images of Patrick yet. Why not be the first?