Castile (1998)

HousePenhaligon's
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group
Parent Company at launchGlynn Manson and Peter Kedge

About Castile

Castile is a masculine fragrance by Penhaligon's. The scent was launched in 1998

Reviews of Castile

Castile is a definite thumbs-up for me. I love neroli, and this opens with a nice neroli kick. It becomes more soapy as it develops, but I still smell it's citrus aspects, even hours later. It's become more of a skin scent on me after about 5 hours. I would like a bit more longevity than I'm experiencing. I can live without major sillage with a scent like this if I can have some longevity. Still, a vey enjoyable fragrance that I really like. I don't get as much of a soapy aspect from Castile in it's dry down as I do from Neroli Portofino. More citrus and perhaps just a touch of floral and finally some light musk. A very nice fragrance.
04th December, 2016
Excellent fragrance. It opens up with a massive scent of neroli and lime and dries down to a musk, woods and petitgrain scent that I really enjoy.

I can see the "powdered laundry detergent" analogy some make, but it is more refined than that and certainly more natural and less "artificial" or "chemically" smelling.

Longevity is decent and sillage is good. I think the two Floris scents I own have better longevity and sillage than this (or Blenheim Bouquet for that matter), but this is such a nice spring, summer, and daytime frangrance that I can live with that.
30th March, 2016
Castile is a very difficult fragrance for me to evaluate. Some previous reviewers mentioned that this fragrance smells very similar to powered laundry detergent -- it does. In fact, if you go into your first impression of this with that smell in mind, it is all you will smell. I think what ruins Castile, is that it's too familiar. It smells clean, but it smells like a cleaning product, not a personal fragrance. Too many hand soaps and laundry detergents smell identical. It had so much potential, maybe just some subtle tweaks here and there with the blend, and it might have been really special. As is... ehh.

I really wanted to like this, given that I'm a Penhaligon's fan, and I wanted something fresh/clean/light in their line for casual use, particularly in the warmer months... but I just can't love this, no matter how much I want to. I think the reviews paint a bit of a false picture as to the quality of this fragrance. It smells good, but if you walked by most people and they smelled this on you, they probably wouldn't think you were wearing a fragrance, they would instead probably think you just washed your hands, or pulled your clothes out of the drier 10 minutes beforehand.

If you are interested in this fragrance, I'd strongly recommend getting a sample first. Cannot recommend as a blind-buy.
17th December, 2015 (last edited: 20th December, 2015)
Starts with a cute orange citrus blast quickly followed by bergamot and plenty of floral notes that linger around on my skin..one reviewer compared this to concentrated washing powder ..I can totally see that comparison but I love the smell of soap powder and clean linen so I love this fragrance..be liberal with this and buy a 100ml...enjoy the summer smelling clean and botanical
30th September, 2015
jspo Show all reviews
Amazing opening of citrus like soapy fresh clean smell - floral, but a man can pull it off. Huge problem with sillage and longevity, as it drops off in about 20 minutes and remains a skin scent. One would have to apply very liberally, nearly take a bath in it for any kind of projection.Therefore, neutral, as some may prefer a nose to skin scent.
18th May, 2015
Afraid this smells soapy on me also, and to the noses of my family
13th December, 2013

Add your review of Castile

Shop for Castile products online

Shop for Castile at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Castile