Perry Ellis for Men (original) (1985)
by Perry Ellis

Perry Ellis for Men (original) information

Year of Launch1985
AvailabilityDiscontinued

HousePerry Ellis
Parent CompanyFalic Group
Parent Company at launchStern Fragrances Inc

About Perry Ellis for Men (original)

The first signature scent from Perry Ellis it is often referred to as
"Signature" for Perry Ellis' actual signature was printed on the box. [Sc]

Perry Ellis for Men (original) fragrance notes

Reviews of Perry Ellis for Men (original)

Swanky Show all reviews
Unlike most of the users here, I like the newer formulation of Perry Ellis, but it is very different from the original vintage. The original sits on the lifeline between Jovan Sex Appeal and Giorgio for Men. As others have mentioned, fragrances such as Derby, Bel Ami and even Equipage are reference points for the evolution of this one. The spicy, leathery feeling of the vintage is completely removed from the newer rendition. While I do enjoy the subtle floral of the current crop, this is one fragrance where seeking a vintage cologne bottle is worth the effort. Longevity is stellar, the blend is top notch and each stage brings new pleasures. Excellent stuff.
28th December, 2017
Smooth, classy, elegant, well-balanced fragrance from Perry Ellis. Spices are not overpowering, and Perry Ellis for Men (original) is easy to wear for casual occasions all year round.

Gives me a Hermes Bel Ami-type response, with its woody, spicy fresh quality - though much more accessible in price range. A basic men's fougere that has a touch of yesteryear, yet is contemporary enough to be enjoyed today.
10th December, 2016 (last edited: 05th May, 2017)
I wore this back in 1986 and thought it was the classiest fragrance I could ever possibly encounter. So I was quite excited when I saw that familiar shaped bottle on Fragrancenet! I ordered a bottle and couldn't wait for it to arrive! When it finally was delivered on my porch, I scooped it up, cut the box open, uncapped it, and gave my hand a spray! One sniff and I realized I wasted $20 that could have gone toward a fragrance much greater, like Derby or Nasomatto Duro. It smelled like the notes had turned. The magic was gone.
But, I still have fond memories of Perry Ellis Original, and the lovely girl who enjoyed smelling it on my neck. Situations and tastes are ever changing.
So, the bottle sits on the shelf near my closet door. Will I ever wear you again Perry Ellis? Quote the bottle...."Nevermore!"
19th May, 2016
I am a fool for BelAmi and Davidoff. After reading references to those two and seeing Perry Ellis for Men positioned smack dab in between those two on the Haarimann & Reimer masculine fragrances geneology chart, I just had to pursue it.

First off, know what you have. I obtained a mini Perry Ellis - Eau de Toilette with Parlux Fragrances printed on the underneath bottom label. Squat, with a black top, it is likely the mini to the version pictured above. I believe this is a fresh fougere fragrance, much in the same grouping as the more recent version of Burberry for Men. A nice enough scent but definitely not befitting association with the two mentioned above.

I then obtained bottles similar to the one pictured above yet with a white-cap topping, 'Cologne for Men' instead of the 'Eau de Toilette' as printed, and Parfums Stern on the underneath bottom label. THIS is the big honkin' leathery mossy chypre I was looking for. Green to spicy carnation/rose to leather/moss. Excellent performance and worth the chase if you're into old school masculine chypres. Worthy of being discussed alongside BelAmi, Davidoff and others in that group as well.

I'm 52, for reference. Fin 10/28/14.
28th October, 2014
I had a boyfriend who wore the original it was the dreamiest thing I'd ever smelled on a man. Yummy.

I'm afraid of smelling the new version...
13th April, 2013
rbaker Show all reviews
The top note carries off a classic bergamot and galbanum, with a touch of carnation adding a flowery touch temporarily. Then the heart of this scent cones to the fore: Moss, moss, clean but not too sharp and in the later drydown never too obtrusive. A classic fougère, straightforward, not clamoring for attention and exuding quiet confidence. Limited silage and projection, but around five hours of longevity.
22nd February, 2013

Add your review of Perry Ellis for Men (original)

Shop for Perry Ellis for Men (original) products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of Perry Ellis for Men (original)

There are no member images of Perry Ellis for Men (original) yet. Why not be the first?