Pi (1999)

PerfumerAlberto Morillas
PackagingSerge Mansau
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Pi

This fragrance is named 'Pi' after the mathematical figure which represents the number you get if you divide a circle's circumference by it's diameter. The number Pi starts off 3.141592.. and just goes on for ever and ever. Computers are sitting there as you read this working out more numbers to add on the end of it...

Pi fragrance notes

Reviews of Pi

I am surprised that Pi has so lukewarm reviews, even though I personally consider it one of the top 10 of all times. Let us not forget that when it came out in 1999 it was very brave of Givenchy and Alberto Morillas to bring out such a "bombshell". I say this because, from what it seems, the fragrance clearly creates sensation and leaves nobody indifferent. I like it throughout the day and I can note all the ingredients at different moments of the day.
01st November, 2017
In part this is an orange version of Le Mâle. (Actually it's closer to Fleur du Mâle even though this came first.)

Pine and tarragon attempt to lift the heavy, sickly balsamic sweetness but as these lighter notes fade it sinks more and more into an orangey vanillic blob.

Whenever I go into a service station toilet the smell of orange urinal screen reminds me of this. Pi's orange flower and honeyed balsamic elements - with their affinities to certain nether regions - would certainly make a good masking agent, and IF it were the case that Pi was a source of inspiration for the sanitiser smell this'd be a classic case of trickle down, from fine to functional, from Pi to pee.

However, all laughing and joking aside, this is so excessively 'nice' it's unpleasant, and without any redeeming edginess, it fails.

18th September, 2017 (last edited: 21st September, 2017)
I first smelled Pi in a magazine add which had the fragrance strip you peel open and rub your wrist on. I WAS BLOWN AWAY! This had to be THE best men's fragrance I had ever smelled. I just purchase two of the 5.0 ounce "oversize" bottles that Givenchy has released. The compliments never seem to cease when I wear Pi by Givenchy. It can be formal, yet it can also be your casual everyday go-to fragrance. I agree that this is best worn in the autumn and winter months, just as I wear Obsession for Men during that time of year. I also love to wear Aramis' Devin during the fall and early winter. I love that Devin is described as a "country" cologne and it has the lovely little French horn logo on the bottle! Sounds like something a wealthy gentleman would wear to dinner after a fox hunt in New England!
04th August, 2017
rbaker Show all reviews
The orange with the galbanum and the herbal undertone make a very pleasant opening, which is beefed up soon by a decent lashing of benzoin. Unlike in some other fragrances, where benzoin is often taking over and push other components aside, here it is skillfully applied such as not to overwhelm, but to blend in and enhance the whole - a rare feat indeed.

The heart notes add woodsy aromas on the sidelines, and see the emergence of the vanilla the dominates the the second half of the development on my skin. Towards the end pure vanilla remains, rich but quite refined and unobtrusive, fading out gracefully.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and a magnificent thirteen hours of longevity on my skin.

It would be easy to judge this wintery creation as another vanilla mix had it not been for the interesting and quite creative permutations of the accompanying accompaniments that were employed here. Interestingly, in this original version of Pi the vanilla is not more prominent than in the Fraîche flanker.

This is a rather synthetic blend but not too intrusively so, and in spite of some evident generic touches it is overall quite interesting and performs excellently on me. Just making it into the thumbs-up realm. 3/5.
10th April, 2017
Givenchy Pi uuummmmm, what can I say this was one of my first frags ever bought for myself, this blood orange, vanilla, benzoin beast this beautiful beautiful beast. Great and best in cooler weather. Unfortunately I don't get a chance to wear my Pi often because I live in FL, I only get about 2 months of wear but anytime I get a chance I reach for it. This is a cool weather 5 out of 5
13th January, 2017
Recived this as a gift because i enjoyed a diffrent givenchy cologne. This is like a vanilla bomb my ex gf used to use this like fabreeze around the house i HATED it over whelming vanilla that never went away.
02nd January, 2017

Add your review of Pi

Shop for Pi products online

Shop for Pi at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Pi