Pino Silvestre (1955)

HouseSilvestre
PerfumerLino Vidal
Parent CompanyMavive

About Pino Silvestre

Pino Silvestre is a masculine fragrance by Silvestre. The scent was launched in 1955 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Lino Vidal

Pino Silvestre fragrance notes

Reviews of Pino Silvestre

This is a traditional old school fragrance. Not for everyone. You have to let this grow on you to appreciate it. If you are not a fan of peppery pine scents with hints of wood and very little sweetness then this is not for you. It did take several years for me to actually like this juice. It is linear on my skin and lasts around 3 to 4 hours. For the price its a safe blind buy. Enjoy!
06th March, 2019
Ps... it’s a thyme bomb...
14th February, 2019
Oviatt Show all reviews
Pino Silvestre came as a surprise to me. I have seen it for years and assumed that I must have smelled it on men in Italy on visits there. When I finally bought a bottle-blind-it surprised me that it was not as pine-focused as the name, reputation and marketing might suggest and that it rang no olfactory bells. It just did not smell familiar in the way that other widely worn fragrances smell in their home countries (Tabac, for example).

What I got was a strong clove note right at the start-a real dentist's office smell. Then there were herbs as only the Italians can do them (R de Capucci, I am looking at you) and finally whole pencils-the wood, the eraser, the graphite/lead. Lurking in the background is a pine note and it is good that it is not so strong that it brings Pinesol and other cleaning supplies to mind but where, I wondered, were the larmes de pin the marketing copy promised? Where was any reference to sunny Italy? I was expecting Respighi's "The Pines of Rome" (even though I know this hails from Venice) in a pinecone shaped bottle and instead got a school satchel left in a dentist's waiting room.

Wearing it now for a few days has allowed it to grow on me-the dry herbs, cedar pencils and faint pine note are actually very nice, dry and masculine. It does well in the summer heat and will also be a great scent for fall and beyond. Wearing it yesterday, I was smelling it on myself and all of a sudden had a vivid flashback to a time when, as a student, I was stranded in the train station in Turin (don't ask). I sat there for hours watching-and smelling-the humanity going by and sure enough, I remember the smell of Pino Silvestre in the air. One of the smells of Italy after all.
10th July, 2018
Pino Silvestre has been a cologne that I have seen either online or in person for decades now. For one reason or another, I never got around to testing this legendary scent until now.

*******************************************************

Says the outside of the box:
"PINE GEMS ESSENCE - The purest tears trickle onto the pinecones releasing the fresh scent of the pine needles [sic] intense and balmy fragrance.

PINO SILVESTRE ORIGINAL - Created in the fifties from a blend of twelve natural oils. Pino Silvestre is still being made in Venice with the same dedication following the most rigorous methods to meet the strong, irresistible need for nature inherent in every one of us. The Original Fragrance from Nature"

*******************************************************

Initial spray-on starts out with the strong presence of the spice (the clary sage) and flowers (lavender plus geranium); this is followed with a slight touch of the introductory citrus peel notes of bergamot and lemon. Pine definitely sticks out in my bottle of this cologne, in the manner of my grabbing a handful of pine needles and taking a direct sniff versus a clarified, refined syrup per se.

This pine essence really catches my fancy, bringing back many years of fond memories (disconnected as they may be) of whenever I've beheld this intoxicating, comforting smell of nature.

There is a mossiness that emerges soon thereafter that adds the further natural intrigue of my being in a real forest of pine trees somewhere. Musk is barely present, which is fine; amber appears to seep through the mix of spice and florals as a convincing foundation for all the notes to settle upon. And I do detect one of my other favorite wood notes, cedarwood, appearing as a laid back neighbor that doesn't compete nor try to overshadow the star of the show: Pine.

No Pine-Sol vibe at all here (I didn't say that I DON'T like Pine-Sol fragrance, lol); this is a natural pine sensation that doesn't smell synthesized. Also, there is no sweet note added in, as in Coty's Aspen cologne (also heavily pine-themed).

This is a great kicking it around the house type scent that acts like an aromatherapeutic oil. It can be used in casual outings at different times of year, and personally I admire the timeless, sincere quality of this product (and for a very affordable price in just about every venue I'd seen it sold).

Pino Silvestre isn't for everyone; it definitely has an old-school flair to it that young wearers may feel challenged by. For a middle-aged man like me, I can see myself wearing and enjoying this, whether others notice it or not.

26th June, 2018
This is a traditional cologne from Italy. Like most traditional herbal Italian colognes I've tried, I get a strong smell of Italian herbs, especially thyme. The overall makeup of the herbs together however makes sort of a pine-like scent, even though there isn't actually any pine note in this cologne. However the dominant note in this is thyme, and there are no pine notes like in Ralph Lauren Polo or Antonio Puig's Quorum in this. There is no sweetness, and it has an overall dry feel. It reminds me more of herbs I would put on a pizza than an actual forest due to the thyme note (but that's not a bad thing, as it smells pretty good). It's very green and extremely herbal. Sillage is moderate while longevity is pretty good. The bottle - shaped like a pinecone - is one of the most interesting ones I've ever seen in a cologne. Overall, it's an interesting Italian herbal fragrance with 0 sweetness and a cool bottle, and not bad for $10. This is definitely not a safe blind buy however, as it is very different from the regular Western perfume due to its spicy herbal nature. But for me, it's one of the greatest mens' colognes ever made due to its Italian cologne style and good projection, with that green scent. It's like Acqua di Gio Essenza but more herbal and with pine instead of aquatic notes.

03rd May, 2018 (last edited: 21st July, 2018)

I get merely just a base of lemon and amber to build that sharp and resinous/sticky body.Tweaks of dry herbs give it a green side while the lemon draws out more clarity.It's a pretty good take on a pine-cone I'll give it that to Pino Silvestre.Despite it's almost skin scent projection and 2-3 hour longevity that bitter/resinous sap smell(amber and herbs) can get to you at times in warm weather because amber is also sweet...comes off kind of odd and hard to wear.

I love the bottle though!
14th March, 2018

PINO SILVESTRE Pino Silvestre for men 4.2 OZ New Box

End Date: Thursday Dec-12-2019 20:34:13 PST
Buy It Now for only: $15.03
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Pino Silvestre Extreme EDT Spray 2.5 Oz. By Profumi Massimo Vidal Venezia Tester

End Date: Thursday Dec-12-2019 20:43:08 PST
Buy It Now for only: $59.95
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Vintage Pino Silvestre Classic Vidal Mens Mini EDT Splash .18oz Cologne New Full

End Date: Thursday Dec-12-2019 21:05:42 PST
Buy It Now for only: $13.49

Pino Silvestre Underwood by Pino Silvestre 4.2 oz EDT Cologne Spray for Men NIB

End Date: Thursday Dec-12-2019 21:56:49 PST

Pino Silvestre Oud Absolute by Pino Silvestre 4.2 oz EDT Cologne Spray for Men

End Date: Thursday Dec-12-2019 21:56:53 PST
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Pino Silvestre Rainforest by Pino Silvestre 4.2 oz EDT Cologne Spray for Men NIB

End Date: Thursday Dec-12-2019 21:57:03 PST
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

PINO SILVESTRE by Pino Silvestre Gift SetEau De Toiette Spray + Body Spray for M

End Date: Thursday Dec-12-2019 21:57:35 PST
Buy It Now for only: $26.95

Member images of Pino Silvestre

There are no member images of Pino Silvestre yet. Why not be the first?