Platinum Égoïste (1993)

PerfumerJacques Polge
PerfumerFrançois Demachy
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About Platinum Égoïste

The "alter ego" of Egoiste. A fresh fragrance enjoyed by many. Similar bottle to the original Egoiste, but with a silver lid. Packaged in a silver box.

Platinum Égoïste fragrance notes

Reviews of Platinum Égoïste

Turin's "sad fougère".
My poignant recollection.
Time - prophet and judge.
25th June, 2017
I never smelled Egoiste but this platinum version is what I consider to be the classiest scent that I own.

It's mature, fresh, piny even. I can smell the rosemary and vetiver as well.

Great performance on me.

I get a full day out of it which means I can smell it on my clothes at the end of the day.

I just associate it with the conception of class.

Very fresh and clear.

Biggie mentions it in the lyrics of "Nasty Girl".

30th April, 2017
A smooth version of Rive Gauche pour Homme. The Woods, Geranium, and Lavender give it that RG quality but without the anise. I prefer RG, but the moss and wood here give it more sophistication and it feels classic. The basenotes of Vetiver, Cedarwood, Labdanum, and Treemoss are the most interesting parts of the fragrance for me. The Petitgrain and rosemary are the least interesting. Still over all it's a good fragrance.
26th April, 2017
it's classic, thats why Notorius BIG mentions it in his lyrics :)

I think I'm going to buy it again, but have heard the scent may have changed from a decade or so ago when I first owned it.
12th March, 2017
Tried this today at a department store. The longevity was pretty decent, and it's not terrible... but it was way more feminine than I expected. Gets a solid "meh" from me.
12th March, 2017
Holiday scents #9 - Chanel, Platinum Egoiste

PE doesn't start off very assertively, but soon the aromatic credentials come through in a wave of varied herbs that is more strident and much less comforting than it sounds like it should be. The heart works through sage and then generally segues from the herbal notes to a woody base that is the slightest bit creamy and voluptuous, with a hint of - could it be coffee? The effect is certainly there.

Although the retail ground is certainly thick with fresh-to-woody masculines, this is the first time I've had it rendered quite like this. I have to say that I am a little confused by the comparisons with Cool Water; I never put the two together until reading other reviews, and I have certainly never thought of CW as containing the same aromatic components as PE. But perhaps this bears more investigation.

Anyway, back to the review: the aromatics I like a lot. The woody base, with prominent cedar and vetiver, I also like. The hint at a possible gourmand element, also. The development on exposed skin is dramatic. As with so many of the scents I am trying in reformulation, the conclusion is that this must have been darned good back in the day if we're saying that this is an inferior version...

The FWF family tell me that PE is bitter, rather than sweet, with a hint of vanilla. This is by way of comparison with feminine Chanels. For me, an undoubted thumbs up for a terrific rendition of woods, and a promise to myself to investigate further. As it happens, PE is struggling to be the best thing I have smelled today having sniffed >something< stepping into a Massimo Dutti outlet, but this is rarified company in my eyes.
11th August, 2016