Platinum Égoïste (1993)

PerfumerJacques Polge
PerfumerFrançois Demachy
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About Platinum Égoïste

The "alter ego" of Egoiste. A fresh fragrance enjoyed by many. Similar bottle to the original Egoiste, but with a silver lid. Packaged in a silver box.

Platinum Égoïste fragrance notes

Reviews of Platinum Égoïste

Holiday scents #9 - Chanel, Platinum Egoiste

PE doesn't start off very assertively, but soon the aromatic credentials come through in a wave of varied herbs that is more strident and much less comforting than it sounds like it should be. The heart works through sage and then generally segues from the herbal notes to a woody base that is the slightest bit creamy and voluptuous, with a hint of - could it be coffee? The effect is certainly there.

Although the retail ground is certainly thick with fresh-to-woody masculines, this is the first time I've had it rendered quite like this. I have to say that I am a little confused by the comparisons with Cool Water; I never put the two together until reading other reviews, and I have certainly never thought of CW as containing the same aromatic components as PE. But perhaps this bears more investigation.

Anyway, back to the review: the aromatics I like a lot. The woody base, with prominent cedar and vetiver, I also like. The hint at a possible gourmand element, also. The development on exposed skin is dramatic. As with so many of the scents I am trying in reformulation, the conclusion is that this must have been darned good back in the day if we're saying that this is an inferior version...

The FWF family tell me that PE is bitter, rather than sweet, with a hint of vanilla. This is by way of comparison with feminine Chanels. For me, an undoubted thumbs up for a terrific rendition of woods, and a promise to myself to investigate further. As it happens, PE is struggling to be the best thing I have smelled today having sniffed >something< stepping into a Massimo Dutti outlet, but this is rarified company in my eyes.
11th August, 2016
Love this stuff! Of all my 30 plus bottles I seem to reach for this one the most!
10th August, 2016
Beautiful masterpiece from Chanel. I remember when it smelt rich and lasted.
23rd June, 2016
To my nose this is a precursor to YSLs Rive Gauche. Platinum Egoiste has a sharp, barbershop, shaving cream vibe that isn't as smooth as Rive Gauche but lasts at least 50% longer on me than RG. I prefer RG but for the quality and longevity this is a great companion scent in the barbershop vein. One of the best Lavender scents around. Enjoy!
15th May, 2016
With a soapy flowery base, it seems like someone brought too much sage and pepper to the party. Wanted to sample Egoist (and not this flanker) but received this flanker instead. In the drydown it reminds me of the soap that my mother used to wash my mouth out after blurting various expletives that were probably induced by sensations like this.
24th March, 2016
Although this has a Chanel competence, I find that it has no business having "Egoiste" in it's name. Not particularily unique.
03rd March, 2016 (last edited: 22nd June, 2016)

Add your review of Platinum Égoïste