Platinum Égoïste (1993)

PerfumerJacques Polge
PerfumerFrançois Demachy
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About Platinum Égoïste

The "alter ego" of Egoiste. A fresh fragrance enjoyed by many. Similar bottle to the original Egoiste, but with a silver lid. Packaged in a silver box.

Platinum Égoïste fragrance notes

Reviews of Platinum Égoïste

Two words sum this one up - boring & generic.

It's also overpriced, and Chanel is not available via discounters.

It's a typical boring, generic fresh scent with a more mature twist I suppose. Reminded me of my grandfather.

I don't understand the comparisons to Bleu de Chanel or Cool Water, both of which I find to be very good scents. They smell nothing like this, and thank goodness.
16th May, 2015
Platinum Egoiste has heritage that has traveled many miles and taken alternate routes, with backstory that could fill a history of Chanel chapter to arrive at its modern sparkling, "platinum" version of Oliver Polge's proudest achievement Egoiste. Egoiste which was conceived as a woodier riff on Bois de Iles was masterpiece enough but just not modern with its vanilla and sandalwood. During the nineties new synthetic molecules were popping up all around Polge and Platinum emerged as Chanel's modernist masculine response with a handful of green aromatics and a sprinkle of warm notes, dabble of "cedar" and built around a couple of sparkling synthetic molecules to create Platinum out of Egoiste - an all new fragrance really. Egoiste name is borrowed for gravitas, but bears slight relation to Platinum. Inspired by Chrome's shine, but sleuced liberally with the egoiste like aromas. Throughout these reviews of Platinum Egoiste you find references to Bleu de Chanel (which had not been conceived) and Curve and Fierce for good reason. Platinum has the same modernist shiny character as these more common designer fragrance models while it is dressed with Lavender, rosemary, galbanum, vetiver - bam - lots of green. Lavender, clary sage, labdanum for traditional Egoiste warmth - no sandalwood or vanilla - interesting. The cedar wood (iso e super?) and whatever else goes anonymous in the mix to give it that platinum chrome plated, steely modernist edge. Platinum Egoiste along with Bleu de Chanel EDP are the finest representations of modern sleek style befitting the name of Chanel. I like it when I want to smell well finished but generic and well scrubbed - Platinum, anonymous behind the radiance.
13th May, 2015
My first review. In a pathetic effort to give something back to this fantastic site:

Two words sum this up. Classy/Rich.

I've read the other reviews. I agree it is kind of cool and metallic in places. but i feel that aspect lends the fragrance a classy mature but contempry aspect. Its got way more layers and substance than cool water.

I'm 48 and wanted to move away from the dated powerhouses but not into kiddy corner. I think this bridged the gap for me.

As my collection grows and I learn. This is definitely for evenings. Not down the pub, Terre de hermes does that job so well. But to dinner or a show with the wife . Maybe a late night in town suited and booted. It will work just as well summer or winter in that regard.

Its never overpowering but has good silage and excellent longevity. 2 sprays and I can still smell it on me the next day.
29th April, 2015
I have used this one and off for several years. To me it is a high quality fresh and clean fragrance. The longevity is very good.
It is a very safe for work cologne, which also puts across the Channel quality.
Just a good quality and well balanced fragrance which I think I will always keep a stock of.
05th April, 2015
This is an absolute classic in my humble opinion, but what happened to it after it was reformulated? Longevity seems to have been curtailed by half of what it used to be or maybe it's my skin.
28th March, 2015 (last edited: 03rd April, 2015)
Unoffensive but unimpressive, and apparently without much connection to Egoiste itself, Platinum Egoiste might be best characterized by the "fresh spicy" label, a label that rarely fits so well. It strikes me as more of a warm weather day scent but frankly has the versatility to be year-round. It's mostly dominated by herby (rosemary, sage) and floral (lavender) notes, and is quite light, which I found a little disappointing, given that Egoiste was somewhat stronger. Nonetheless if "fresh spicy" strikes you as an intriguing combination for a lighter scent, Platinum Egoiste might be something you deem worthwhile. It's not pricey or unappealing in the scent itself, but it simply doesn't intrigue me enough to use in lieu of another green or floral scent.

6 out of 10
11th March, 2015

Add your review of Platinum Égoïste

Shop for Platinum Égoïste products online

Search Amazon for Platinum Égoïste

Member images of Platinum Égoïste

There are no member images of Platinum Égoïste yet. Why not be the first?