Polo (1978)

PerfumerCarlos Benaim
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > Prestige & Collections
Parent Company at launchWarner Communications > Warner Cosmetics

About Polo

Ralph Laurens first male fragrance contains a very distinctive pine note.
The packaging and bottle are a forest-green colour.
FIFI award winner in 1979

Reviews of Polo

Nothing to add that others haven't said in other reviews. Standard classic that stands the test of time. The best from the Ralph Lauren line for sure. Very pleasant herbal woody scent and should be in every man's arsenal. Enjoy?
12th May, 2016
A solid piece of Anglo-Saxon inspired classicism.

From the outset it hits you with green, and herbal anisic blue notes supported by vetiver, and a brown and purple camphoraceous patchouli exalted by plasticky white musk.

I must admit that I don't like anisic perfumes and I'm not keen on patchouli or white musk but there's something in the way they combine here that really turns my stomach.

Like a Footsie 100 CEO, impressive but not somebody I want to spend time with.

23rd March, 2016 (last edited: 31st March, 2016)
Ahhh...Polo. My first love. Of course I wore a few fragrances before Polo, but they were all pathetic in comparison to the wonderful pine and woods love affair my nose began with Polo in 1983. The original Polo was such a rich and complex concoction, and I splashed it on every day for many, many years. Then, one day it changed. The richness seemed to fade. It became less powerful, more alcohol based with my pine and woodiness somehow subdued. I still bought Polo and wore it hoping that I just got a bad bottle or something for about five more years, but eventually even I had to admit to myself that it just wasn't the same. I still enjoyed it to a lesser degree than I had before, but then...I found a bottle of vintage Polo! The love affair was back on! It's amazing the feelings that smell can generate, the memories that come sweeping back into the mind when a scent from the past hits the olfactory organ. I'm so happy to have the original Polo back in my rotation. I love this scent with a passion, and always will. Now, I need to try the Modern Reserve that I've heard so much about but never got around to trying. Viva Vintage Polo!!!
29th January, 2016
Herbal spicy scent which smells natural with complex composition. Very masculin and still contemporain.

Good Stuff 8/10
15th August, 2015
I own the current formulation and love it. It is the only fragrance I keep in the drawer next to my bed so that I can access it easily when I get home from work. I find it to be the perfect scent to wear in the evenings at home, makes me feel comfortable in my skin. The pine opening is stunning and then you are left with a thoroughly masculine aura thanks to a beautiful recreation of dried golden tobacco in a freshly opened packet of cigarettes complimented brilliantly by the multitude of other notes..
10th July, 2015 (last edited: 04th November, 2015)
To start with this brings back one vivid memory from my childhood. Opening the small, empty, wooden barrel-shaped container that my Grandad used to keep his pipe tobacco in. Gets me every time. For me it's a powerful, green, fresh and very masculine scent. And unmistakeable fresh tobacco from start to finish. To be honest i thought I got cinnamon too at the start, but I think that must be a mistake as I don't think it's listed as an ingredient. My boss years ago used to wear it, and this, combined with my childhood memory, is what this scent conjures up for me: a very masculine, authoritative, older man, a man's man who speaks directly and is what he is. I would wear this if I thought I'd be in a group of men, especially in a competitive environment. And in this situation I would forget subtlety - spray liberally, you're either wearing it or you're not. Make your mind up! Great longevity and silage too. Great. :)
June 2015
26th June, 2015

Add your review of Polo

Shop for Polo products online

Shop for Polo at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Polo