Polo (1978)

PerfumerCarlos Benaim
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > Prestige & Collections
Parent Company at launchWarner Communications > Warner Cosmetics

About Polo

Ralph Laurens first male fragrance contains a very distinctive pine note.
The packaging and bottle are a forest-green colour.
FIFI award winner in 1979

Reviews of Polo

When I'm watching a movie with my boyfriend, I like to spritz four different scents on me to sniff and compare while watching the action on screen. Last night I smellt Polo on my left wrist, Knize on my right, Opium on me left knee, and White Linen on my left (I'm bendy). While I already knew that I love the last three scents, I put on Polo only as contrast. I have never been that interested in Polo; we mainly got it for collector's reasons after having read Turin and seen it on discount somewhere. However, one day later, I'm again wearing it on my wrist and I am absolutely smitten with it. At first, it smells like the perfect platonic idea of a fresh pack of tobacco, stored in a wooden pine box, very darkly transcendent yet totally tangibly wet too. Then the pine and lavender start to mix in prominently and make it very sexy to me. I can't relate to all the comments limiting it to business contexts only - to me this is very alluring, soilish, and gothic. I now desperately want my boyfriend to wear it but he thinks it smells like decay. I see what he means, and I, too, smell the tomb/crypt; the borderline moldiness of a private library with bad air circulation that an old dude with lots of mental abysses reads dusty books in while sitting on an even older leather chair, obviously smoking tobacco from a pipe and never bothering to open the window. But, to be honest, this sounds alluring to me!
After a while the carnal/gothic wetness starts to fade, and the dry woods and lavender overtake, and I see more how people think it business.
09th February, 2019
I still have about 50% of a bottle from about '99-'00, but I think it's starting to turn. Great initial blast, great 4-6 hours after that, but then something smells off for the rest of the day....

I always loved this frag, even if my wife couldn't stand it! It covered up the way my car smelt in those days, when certain other people would ride in it.... :) better than ozium!

One whiff of this takes me back 20 years....oh the good 'ol days....
28th January, 2019
Ifti Show all reviews
Green, spicy, woody.
Classic teetering on outdated.
Recent version.
Definitely no nonsense or frills. Anticipate it being a regular for someone who appreciatew timeless quality and isn't too much bothered by intricacies and trends.
Big blast of opening, settles to a reassuring deep masculine with woods n leather. Spice keeps going. Best part is the far dry down, fuzzy woody spice, with an old school clout. As with other old school classics (Pour Lui), personally feel it's too long to get to the tidy drydown. Maybe I need to give it more time and cooler weather for it to shine. mildly disappointed... Azzaro now awaits :)

Edit 2: 31/12/18
Corr what was I thinking.
This is goooood.
29th September, 2018 (last edited: 31st December, 2018)
Warner version - A strong cigarette tobacco opening. Beautiful and artistic. One of the all-time greats for cigarette smokers.

Cosmair version - Noticeably different in the top, more of a woody leather. Not as complex, but smoother and more wearable.

Luxury Products version - Smells like a failed reformulation, harsh.
21st August, 2018
I vaguely remember the original Polo from the days when I was far too young to wear any personal fragrance myself. I can believe those who say the original was better. This version is not too bad at all, but a little too dirty to be properly green and refreshing.
12th May, 2018
Just sprayed this on my wrist.
Wow, smells very nice, piney with some tobacco in the distance.
It DOES smell like "money." Pine-like colognes conjure up images of those pine tree car air-fresheners, but that's okay.

20 MINUTES PASS

This does NOT smell good. It reminds me A LOT of the dry down in Preferred Stock. Almost like a dirt smell.
I suppose I should say it has a "dirty" note, which is common in a lot of old school powerhouses but this to me is more just like a DIRT note. If I put your nose to my wrist, and try to appreciate it, I can kind of visualize tobacco with a very faint pine smell. But just a casual whiff, and this smells very unpleasant.
People are going to think I haven't bathed.
Maybe it's because this is a reformulation, maybe it's because I'm experiencing it out of context-not in the era it was made for-or maybe it just doesn't mix well with my body chemistry.
But I don't like it and I have to get this off of me.

RUNS TO SINK TO SPLASH SOME WATER ON WRIST

Is it gone?
*sniff*
*sniffs again*
It's...
*keeps sniffing*
It's actually smelling a little bit better. Just a little bit. The pine and the tobacco are mixing better with one another...but it's still very oft putting in a contemporary context.
Very dry, tobacco/cigarette butts/dirty smell laced with a slight bit of pine and...is that a hint of cinnamon?
*sniffs once more*
Okay...I get it. I can see a little bit of WHY it was so popular during its heyday. I'm even beginning to like it.

CONCLUSION
This is going to put off a lot of people who didn't grow up with this scent. As YouTube fragrance reviewer MyMickers said, "it smells like death." And in the dry down, it does. At first.
But once you give it some time (or maybe splash some water over the sprayed spot to dilute it???) it becomes this very dry, masculine scent, and and almost addictive.
Most people, like myself, aren't used to cologne smelling like this, so they mistake something very different as = bad.

This does come across as a very dated scent. I think most fragrances that have a prominent pine-note in there are going to come across as dated because the general public associates pine-scents with cheap air fresheners.
But this is also a very good scent, and while the dry down can be a little challenging, it's pretty nice. On the right person, for the right occasion, with the right outfit, this could be pulled off very well.

08th March, 2018 (last edited: 12th April, 2018)

Add your review of Polo

Shop for Polo products online

Shop for Polo at online perfumeries

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren Deodorant Stick 2.6 oz-77 ml-Men

POLO RED by RALPH LAUREN Men's homme 4.2 oz., 125 ml Eau De Toilette, EDT Spray

End Date: Tuesday Mar-19-2019 0:46:10 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $45.95
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Ralph Lauren Polo Red Cologne Men Perfume EDT Spray 0.5 4.2 oz Deo Stick 2.6 New

Buy It Now for only: $23.99