Polo (1978)

PerfumerCarlos Benaim
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > Prestige & Collections
Parent Company at launchWarner Communications > Warner Cosmetics

About Polo

Ralph Laurens first male fragrance contains a very distinctive pine note.
The packaging and bottle are a forest-green colour.
FIFI award winner in 1979

Reviews of Polo

I just got a RL gift set, in which this was one of four perfumes.

I absolutely love it. It's a very spicy yet fresh smell. And by far one of the more masculine scents in my stock. I was searching far and wide for a men's perfume that wasn't sweet in any way, and this one definitely does the job. The pine notes are quite dominant. As are the basil, cedar and musk; especially when one has worn it for about an hour.

I wouldn't describe this as a perfume that interests women all that much, as women, in my expierience, usually demand a bit more sweetness, but this is a scent I would wear for myself any day.

Although I can only say positive things about the smell of this perfume, I find it a tad difficult to find occasions to wear it, as it is definitely a heavy perfume. I don't like to force my perfume on my fellow students/colleagues (especially this one, mainly because it's very noticable), and I don't view it as a perfume appropriate for a date, because it is in no way sensual or romantic.

I would probably wear this on semi-formal occasions such as dinner or drinks (non-romantic, that is!), or if I'm going to town for coffee/shopping/something else similar, and I'd enjoy that very much, 'cause I'm completely in love with this scent.

I can't really be objective when it comes to longevity or projection, as my skin is apparently perfect for wearing perfume. Any perfume (except very cheap, low quality perfumes) lasts all day on me, and projection is always quite good on me.

01st February, 2017
I can't knock the original Polo, except that I'm not as enthralled by it as I once was many years ago when I'd first purchased a bottle. It is a crisp, woody fragrance that says what it does with a LOT of notes in it. I would say that one's experience with Polo will have a lot to do with their own perceptions of the gazillion top, heart, and base notes in this one.

Maculine, but may be out of fashion and on the "old" side of scents that are out there. But it definitely holds a place as a legend, IMO.
10th December, 2016
In my youth receiving a bottle of Polo Original was almost like an introduction into manhood.Men who were men wore Polo Original and no other woodsy/green scent existed that could be remotely as enjoyable.Looking forward after several years(sigh)I'll say this-if Coty made this cologne it would be far cheaper.

Polo Original has a very coniferous tone to it so yes...it's definitely green.A good hit of tobacco in there with a smaller but noticeable leather.Where it gets odd is behind all this lies a gummy and green blob.This 'blob' leaves you asking for a little more from this cologne as it's just a leafy and green mess that rolled through a forest.You soon realize that Quorum is more of a green masterpiece than Polo original as a much cheaper cologne.

In my adult years I think it could be a tad stronger at 2 sprays but not entirely low projection unless my nasal sensitivity has decreased a little.Never really lasted that long on me.At it's cost back then...maybe 4 hours at $45-$50 for a 4oz. bottle.A very masculine scent but I'd say try it first.
18th November, 2016
I got the gift set for my dad, and I decided to sample it when it arrived, having never smelled it before. It has atomic strength and is a bit off putting at first, but it calms down after a half hour. This scent can last maybe around ten hours. As far as sillage goes, simply wearing the aftershave is enough to get you noticed from across the room. So, use sparingly, and spray it under your clothes.

Scent? I imagine a smoke shop in the middle of pine woods. That's how it smells to me from beginning to end. I can't think of any other way to describe it. This is truly a man's scent. No hipsters or kids allowed. I can't even pull it off.

Occasions? I wouldn't call it a casual or work fragrance. I think it should be worn on formal occasions and at home in front of the fire. Not very versatile in my opinion, but it does its job well.
07th October, 2016
Nothing to add that others haven't said in other reviews. Standard classic that stands the test of time. The best from the Ralph Lauren line for sure. Very pleasant herbal woody scent and should be in every man's arsenal. Enjoy?
12th May, 2016
A solid piece of Anglo-Saxon inspired classicism.

From the outset it hits you with green, and herbal anisic blue notes supported by vetiver, and a brown and purple camphoraceous patchouli exalted by plasticky white musk.

I must admit that I don't like anisic perfumes and I'm not keen on patchouli or white musk but there's something in the way they combine here that really turns my stomach.

Like a Footsie 100 CEO, impressive but not somebody I want to spend time with.

23rd March, 2016 (last edited: 31st March, 2016)

Add your review of Polo

Shop for Polo products online

Shop for Polo at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Polo