Polo (1978)

PerfumerCarlos Benaim
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > Prestige & Collections
Parent Company at launchWarner Communications > Warner Cosmetics

About Polo

Ralph Laurens first male fragrance contains a very distinctive pine note.
The packaging and bottle are a forest-green colour.
FIFI award winner in 1979

Reviews of Polo

Warner version - A strong cigarette tobacco opening. Beautiful and artistic. One of the all-time greats for cigarette smokers.

Cosmair version - Noticeably different in the top, more of a woody leather. Not as complex, but smoother and more wearable.

Luxury Products version - Smells like a failed reformulation, harsh.
21st August, 2018
I vaguely remember the original Polo from the days when I was far too young to wear any personal fragrance myself. I can believe those who say the original was better. This version is not too bad at all, but a little too dirty to be properly green and refreshing.
12th May, 2018
Just sprayed this on my wrist.
Wow, smells very nice, piney with some tobacco in the distance.
It DOES smell like "money." Pine-like colognes conjure up images of those pine tree car air-fresheners, but that's okay.

20 MINUTES PASS

This does NOT smell good. It reminds me A LOT of the dry down in Preferred Stock. Almost like a dirt smell.
I suppose I should say it has a "dirty" note, which is common in a lot of old school powerhouses but this to me is more just like a DIRT note. If I put your nose to my wrist, and try to appreciate it, I can kind of visualize tobacco with a very faint pine smell. But just a casual whiff, and this smells very unpleasant.
People are going to think I haven't bathed.
Maybe it's because this is a reformulation, maybe it's because I'm experiencing it out of context-not in the era it was made for-or maybe it just doesn't mix well with my body chemistry.
But I don't like it and I have to get this off of me.

RUNS TO SINK TO SPLASH SOME WATER ON WRIST

Is it gone?
*sniff*
*sniffs again*
It's...
*keeps sniffing*
It's actually smelling a little bit better. Just a little bit. The pine and the tobacco are mixing better with one another...but it's still very oft putting in a contemporary context.
Very dry, tobacco/cigarette butts/dirty smell laced with a slight bit of pine and...is that a hint of cinnamon?
*sniffs once more*
Okay...I get it. I can see a little bit of WHY it was so popular during its heyday. I'm even beginning to like it.

CONCLUSION
This is going to put off a lot of people who didn't grow up with this scent. As YouTube fragrance reviewer MyMickers said, "it smells like death." And in the dry down, it does. At first.
But once you give it some time (or maybe splash some water over the sprayed spot to dilute it???) it becomes this very dry, masculine scent, and and almost addictive.
Most people, like myself, aren't used to cologne smelling like this, so they mistake something very different as = bad.

This does come across as a very dated scent. I think most fragrances that have a prominent pine-note in there are going to come across as dated because the general public associates pine-scents with cheap air fresheners.
But this is also a very good scent, and while the dry down can be a little challenging, it's pretty nice. On the right person, for the right occasion, with the right outfit, this could be pulled off very well.

08th March, 2018 (last edited: 12th April, 2018)
pine and fir with strong notes of tobacco in a very masculine way. Also woods and patchouli along with moss, and a hint of leather. I like this scent the most when initially applied as I can smell the pine and fir. Under drydown it becomes exclusively tobacco, leather, and woods. Moderate sillage and strong longevity. I'm just not that great of a fan of the scent - especially in drydown - the tobacco and leather kind of ruin it for me; I would prefer a more natural forest scent. I much prefer Encre Noire by Lalique for example, when it comes to forest-smelling colognes.
04th March, 2018
I wore this scent back in the early '80s through the early '90s and got away from it with the introduction of New West for Him, by Aramis. Recently, a wave of nostalgia came over me and I decided to give Polo another chance. I purchased a new bottle (spray), yet still had a drop or two in my original Polo (splash) bottle. This new Polo is most definately reformulated. The top notes are quite noxious and overpowering, unlike the original formula. There is a very strong scent of Ylang-Ylang combined with a dollar store version of a pine scented household cleaner. That being said, once the top notes evaporate (30-60 minutes), the original Polo fragrance comes forward. The dry down most definately leaves the signature fragrance pleasantly on the skin. I'm giving this fragrance a thumbs up because it's still a classic, but Ralph Lauren should really consider going back to the original formula. The initial spray / spritz can be a big turn off to a potentially new customer base. After the dry down, the scent is pleasant and well worth the compliments.
11th February, 2018
A designer jus that has stood the test of time and will continue to do so.

It has been reformulated a few times, however the basic premise remains.

This epitomizes what masculinity was, not so much anymore. In fact I am of the mind that you need to be 'old' to wear this (whatever that means)!

A must have in every collection? Yes.
04th February, 2018

Add your review of Polo

Shop for Polo products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of Polo