Polo (1978)

PerfumerCarlos Benaim
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > Prestige & Collections
Parent Company at launchWarner Communications > Warner Cosmetics

About Polo

Ralph Laurens first male fragrance contains a very distinctive pine note.
The packaging and bottle are a forest-green colour.
FIFI award winner in 1979

Reviews of Polo

There's nothing quite like Polo.

The Cosmair vintage version is a creation that would read entirely as "niche" now were it not so familiar. It's a full-bodied aromatic experience, rich and spicy and, in what makes Polo challenging for younger folks like myself, dirty.

The current version is recognizable as Polo (and is a good step up from the formulation of a few years ago); it's lighter and cleaner and more synthetic, but the distinctive Polo DNA remains intact.
22nd August, 2019
Polo is one of the first fragrances I came to know very early in life. Since everyone around me was wearing it, this scent made quite an impression on my developing mind and has stayed with me my entire life.

I'm referring to a 60ml Cosmair edition which I recently purchased. The notorious Polo opening is indeed quite brash and I could see how someone could find it a bit unpleasant. But so many great fragrances open with notes that seem out of place until the fragrance settles on the skin.

What I find remarkable about Polo is how well all of the notes have been mixed in perfect proportions and harmony to create a vivid experience that few other scents ever produced achieve. I would say Polo is without a doubt one of the greatest scents ever created. A true masterpiece.

Polo is still widely available in 2019, though many prefer the vintages (produced by either Cosmair or Warner) which can be found on eBay. I will look forward to comparing/contrasting vintage Polo but haven't done so yet.

For people who aren't used to vintage powerhouses this could be an unpleasant experience because there are so many ingredients that have been banned or are simply unavailable in modern fragrance.

On how it wears: I don't find that Polo is compatible with warm weather, and I think more than 2 sprays could get you in trouble in a day & age where people are more sensitive to fragrance. The performance is spectacular and will stick around for a very long time on skin and clothing! It could be worn for either casual or formal occasions leaning on formal.

People will recognize this scent because it's still popular and worn by many people. I can safely say that Polo will appeal mostly to the mature male audience and that it might just be the very last scent you'd wear to try and be trendy!
17th March, 2019
When I'm watching a movie with my boyfriend, I like to spritz four different scents on me to sniff and compare while watching the action on screen. Last night I smellt Polo on my left wrist, Knize on my right, Opium on me left knee, and White Linen on my left (I'm bendy). While I already knew that I love the last three scents, I put on Polo only as contrast. I have never been that interested in Polo; we mainly got it for collector's reasons after having read Turin and seen it on discount somewhere. However, one day later, I'm again wearing it on my wrist and I am absolutely smitten with it. At first, it smells like the perfect platonic idea of a fresh pack of tobacco, stored in a wooden pine box, very darkly transcendent yet totally tangibly wet too. Then the pine and lavender start to mix in prominently and make it very sexy to me. I can't relate to all the comments limiting it to business contexts only - to me this is very alluring, soilish, and gothic. I now desperately want my boyfriend to wear it but he thinks it smells like decay. I see what he means, and I, too, smell the tomb/crypt; the borderline moldiness of a private library with bad air circulation that an old dude with lots of mental abysses reads dusty books in while sitting on an even older leather chair, obviously smoking tobacco from a pipe and never bothering to open the window. But, to be honest, this sounds alluring to me!
After a while the carnal/gothic wetness starts to fade, and the dry woods and lavender overtake, and I see more how people think it business.
09th February, 2019
I still have about 50% of a bottle from about '99-'00, but I think it's starting to turn. Great initial blast, great 4-6 hours after that, but then something smells off for the rest of the day....

I always loved this frag, even if my wife couldn't stand it! It covered up the way my car smelt in those days, when certain other people would ride in it.... :) better than ozium!

One whiff of this takes me back 20 years....oh the good 'ol days....
28th January, 2019
Ifti Show all reviews
Green, spicy, woody.
Classic teetering on outdated.
Recent version.
Definitely no nonsense or frills. Anticipate it being a regular for someone who appreciatew timeless quality and isn't too much bothered by intricacies and trends.
Big blast of opening, settles to a reassuring deep masculine with woods n leather. Spice keeps going. Best part is the far dry down, fuzzy woody spice, with an old school clout. As with other old school classics (Pour Lui), personally feel it's too long to get to the tidy drydown. Maybe I need to give it more time and cooler weather for it to shine. mildly disappointed... Azzaro now awaits :)

Edit 2: 31/12/18
Corr what was I thinking.
This is goooood.
29th September, 2018 (last edited: 31st December, 2018)
Warner version - A strong cigarette tobacco opening. Beautiful and artistic. One of the all-time greats for cigarette smokers.

Cosmair version - Noticeably different in the top, more of a woody leather. Not as complex, but smoother and more wearable.

Luxury Products version - Smells like a failed reformulation, harsh.
21st August, 2018

Add your review of Polo

Shop for Polo products online

Shop for Polo at online perfumeries

Polo Ralph Lauren Ultra Blue 4.2 oz Eau de Toilette Spray New in Tst Box

End Date: Wednesday Dec-11-2019 4:32:04 PST
Buy It Now for only: $58.48

Polo Red Rush By Ralph Lauren 4.2 oz Eau de Toilette Spray New in Tst Box

End Date: Wednesday Dec-11-2019 4:33:15 PST
Buy It Now for only: $62.98
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Polo Red By Ralph Lauren 4.2 oz Eau de Toilette Spray New in Tst Box.

End Date: Wednesday Dec-11-2019 4:35:21 PST

Ralph Lauren Polo Variety 4 Piece Mini Gift Set New

End Date: Wednesday Dec-11-2019 6:10:58 PST
Buy It Now for only: $62.18
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Ralph Lauren Polo The Big Pony 4 Purple for Women 3.4 oz EDT NEW TSTR BOX SEALED

$38.00 (0 Bids)