Polo (1978)

PerfumerCarlos Benaim
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > Prestige & Collections
Parent Company at launchWarner Communications > Warner Cosmetics

About Polo

Ralph Laurens first male fragrance contains a very distinctive pine note.
The packaging and bottle are a forest-green colour.
FIFI award winner in 1979

Reviews of Polo

I own the current formulation and love it. It is the only fragrance I keep in the drawer next to my bed so that I can access it easily when I get home from work. I find it to be the perfect scent to wear in the evenings at home, makes me feel comfortable in my skin. The pine opening is stunning and then you are left with a thoroughly masculine aura.
10th July, 2015
To start with this brings back one vivid memory from my childhood. Opening the small, empty, wooden barrel-shaped container that my Grandad used to keep his pipe tobacco in. Gets me every time. For me it's a powerful, green, fresh and very masculine scent. And unmistakeable fresh tobacco from start to finish. To be honest i thought I got cinnamon too at the start, but I think that must be a mistake as I don't think it's listed as an ingredient. My boss years ago used to wear it, and this, combined with my childhood memory, is what this scent conjures up for me: a very masculine, authoritative, older man, a man's man who speaks directly and is what he is. I would wear this if I thought I'd be in a group of men, especially in a competitive environment. And in this situation I would forget subtlety - spray liberally, you're either wearing it or you're not. Make your mind up! Great longevity and silage too. Great. :)
June 2015
26th June, 2015
Polo is a massive heavy weight in projection , if aramis is Ali then this is George forman, bruising and thumping the air with pine and woods ..this really does suit a more mature man as it's so far nailed into the seventies and eighties that it would take one hell of a push start to bring it into the now..one could start by not over applying, because like aramis if overdone it can stain a room but done subtly it can be pleasent and very clean smelling , I couldn't think of a more appropriate scent for a walk in a forest or a weekend by a lake ..maybe a cognac sat on an old chesterfield with a crackling fire, like another reviewer commented ..a big quality wooly jumper too.
09th June, 2015
I have always hated this scent - for almost 40 years.

It is a dry, green, tweedy thing with an underlying sweetness that is nauseating to me. Very unpleasant. Of course, it has been around almost 40 years because other noses love it. So, I am definitely in the minority.

One of the powerhouse scents that men must have found - and still do - wonderfully masculine and repulsive, so therefore of value.

Those with noses, sniff elsewhere.
08th June, 2015
Polo Green is one of the first fragrances I ever owned. It only came in a splash bottle and I was probably one of the people that over applied it and ruined it for many.

Revisting it recently (yes I still have the original version in a splash bottle), it really is a great scent. I like the pine woods and oakmoss drydown and it has an old school complex appeal amidst the linear fragrances out today. Some things should never change.
16th March, 2015
Pine, patchouli and other stuff on a monumental and iconic scale. Universally over-applied throughout the 80s, Polo is simply too good to hold THAT against the scent. Polo epitomizes the term masculine and it's still around for good reason.
03rd February, 2015

Add your review of Polo

Shop for Polo products online

Shop for Polo at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Polo

Member images of Polo

There are no member images of Polo yet. Why not be the first?