Polo (1978)

PerfumerCarlos Benaim
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > Prestige & Collections
Parent Company at launchWarner Communications > Warner Cosmetics

About Polo

Ralph Laurens first male fragrance contains a very distinctive pine note.
The packaging and bottle are a forest-green colour.
FIFI award winner in 1979

Reviews of Polo

In my youth receiving a bottle of Polo Original was almost like an introduction into manhood.Men who were men wore Polo Original and no other woodsy/green scent existed that could be remotely as enjoyable.Looking forward after several years(sigh)I'll say this-if Coty made this cologne it would be far cheaper.

Polo Original has a very coniferous tone to it so yes...it's definitely green.A good hit of tobacco in there with a smaller but noticeable leather.Where it gets odd is behind all this lies a gummy and green blob.This 'blob' leaves you asking for a little more from this cologne as it's just a leafy and green mess that rolled through a forest.You soon realize that Quorum is more of a green masterpiece than Polo original as a much cheaper cologne.

In my adult years I think it could be a tad stronger at 2 sprays but not entirely low projection unless my nasal sensitivity has decreased a little.Never really lasted that long on me.At it's cost back then...maybe 4 hours at $45-$50 for a 4oz. bottle.A very masculine scent but I'd say try it first.
18th November, 2016
I got the gift set for my dad, and I decided to sample it when it arrived, having never smelled it before. It has atomic strength and is a bit off putting at first, but it calms down after a half hour. This scent can last maybe around ten hours. As far as sillage goes, simply wearing the aftershave is enough to get you noticed from across the room. So, use sparingly, and spray it under your clothes.

Scent? I imagine a smoke shop in the middle of pine woods. That's how it smells to me from beginning to end. I can't think of any other way to describe it. This is truly a man's scent. No hipsters or kids allowed. I can't even pull it off.

Occasions? I wouldn't call it a casual or work fragrance. I think it should be worn on formal occasions and at home in front of the fire. Not very versatile in my opinion, but it does its job well.
07th October, 2016
Nothing to add that others haven't said in other reviews. Standard classic that stands the test of time. The best from the Ralph Lauren line for sure. Very pleasant herbal woody scent and should be in every man's arsenal. Enjoy?
12th May, 2016
A solid piece of Anglo-Saxon inspired classicism.

From the outset it hits you with green, and herbal anisic blue notes supported by vetiver, and a brown and purple camphoraceous patchouli exalted by plasticky white musk.

I must admit that I don't like anisic perfumes and I'm not keen on patchouli or white musk but there's something in the way they combine here that really turns my stomach.

Like a Footsie 100 CEO, impressive but not somebody I want to spend time with.

23rd March, 2016 (last edited: 31st March, 2016)
Ahhh...Polo. My first love. Of course I wore a few fragrances before Polo, but they were all pathetic in comparison to the wonderful pine and woods love affair my nose began with Polo in 1983. The original Polo was such a rich and complex concoction, and I splashed it on every day for many, many years. Then, one day it changed. The richness seemed to fade. It became less powerful, more alcohol based with my pine and woodiness somehow subdued. I still bought Polo and wore it hoping that I just got a bad bottle or something for about five more years, but eventually even I had to admit to myself that it just wasn't the same. I still enjoyed it to a lesser degree than I had before, but then...I found a bottle of vintage Polo! The love affair was back on! It's amazing the feelings that smell can generate, the memories that come sweeping back into the mind when a scent from the past hits the olfactory organ. I'm so happy to have the original Polo back in my rotation. I love this scent with a passion, and always will. Now, I need to try the Modern Reserve that I've heard so much about but never got around to trying. Viva Vintage Polo!!!
29th January, 2016
Herbal spicy scent which smells natural with complex composition. Very masculin and still contemporain.

Good Stuff 8/10
15th August, 2015

Add your review of Polo

Shop for Polo products online

Shop for Polo at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Polo