Polo Sport (1993)

HouseRalph Lauren
PerfumerHarry Fremont
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > Prestige & Collections

About Polo Sport

Bright, bold, cobalt blue - The sleek contoured design was inspired by the shape of a water bottle. The cap is patterned to represent the design of a bar bell weight. Well that's what I was told anyhow. It's got lots of seaweed in it, which seems a bit disturbing, but it's not put many people off, as it's the worlds number one "Sports" fragrance. Don't ask me what makes a fragrance a "sports fragrance" apart from the name. I once drunk a whole bottle and I didn't run any faster.

Polo Sport fragrance notes

Reviews of Polo Sport

Vintage formulation by Cosmair is excellent, although its practically impossible to find now.

Newer reformulation severely lacks projection and longevity, and the scent disappears completely in a half hour.
13th October, 2016
If you're going to buy this, try your best to score a vintage bottle from the 90's. I wore this a lot in high school and recently found myself in the mood to wear it again. Lo and behold it smells as good as I remember it smelling. And when you smell a vintage, you're immediately reminded of the superior quality of ingredients that were used in fragrances before all the IFRA restrictions and reformulations (the current version pales in comparison). The average sports fragrance today has none of the complexity or character of this, which although nice and cutting edge, was nothing spectacularly complex in its day. Polo Sport is a tart aquatic, blending fresh fruity notes with a salty, marine/seaweed sort of smell. It mixes sour with salty and sweet to create something reminiscent of coastal breezes, perhaps in cooler, northern climates, as it's certainly not tropical in any way. It's distinct, and despite the plethora of sports fragrance which have been produced since its inception, Polo Sport retains some degree of originality, easy to identify and fairly memorable. While the vintage bottle I use smells great, its longevity may have suffered over time, as it lasts only about 3 or 4 hours before it's gone. I'm not hugely nostalgic about fragrances and rarely yearn for scents of yesteryear, but Polo Sport is one that manages to scatch that itch while also smelling good enough and modern enough to continue wearing today. Give me this, Polo Green, and Cool Water's Lancaster version and I'm pretty much set as far as vintage is concerned. Thumbs up, with a warning to avoid the current formulation in favor of vintage if possible.
04th October, 2016
Wished they still made this. Yes it is synthetic, but I used to get more compliments on this than any other fragrance. Great frag for the gym applied sparingly. Many aquatics have come after this one but they haven't really improved much. Love the clean pineapple and seaweed notes that smell clean aquatic but not fishy. I think this one just really works with my body chemistry.
04th December, 2015 (last edited: 03rd December, 2015)
Luca Turin thinks the "sweet and sour pineapple" in this variation of the original Polo is a good thing. He gave the scent four stars, calling it a "lavender pineapple."

I think the original Polo is offensive enough. The addition of this even worse off-shoot does the reputation of the original no good. To my nose this is a very dry, green and sharp scent and the pineapple is just stupid, only making things worse.

The scent is just plain bad, as was its namesake.
02nd October, 2015
Genre: Fougère

It’s blue, it says “sport” on the bottle, and, surprise, it’s a “fresh,” fruity-aquatic fougère. What were you expecting – Knize Ten? Heaven knows the world needs more fragrances like this – but only if we find a way to make their fumes fuel an automobile or a city bus.

Attempting pineapple in lieu of the usual apple, Polo Sport is on the tart side as its ilk goes, which might make the industrial chemical aquatic accord more tolerable than elsewhere. But only by degree. In my book Polo Sport is no more or less superfluous than any other blue fragrance for men, and guys who want something of this sort will get what they expect from it. I only wonder why they would want it?

23rd June, 2014 (last edited: 25th July, 2014)
The Original Polo Sport... A great fragrance that we will miss...

One of the classic fragrance designers, Ralph Lauren, has produced a number of scents we have grown to love. It is too bad that some of these fragrances have run their course and "put out to pasture" - so to speak. Polo Sport is one of these fragrances that became a classic, but with time, has become increasingly hard to find. Perhaps it, too, has been discontinued. I recently purchased this fragrance online and could hardly await arrival of the scent that became popular in the mid-90s - as a mid-40s guy (and still roguishly handsome) - I remember this time period fondly...

Out of the bottle Polo Sport presents a complexity of notes, but settles into simplicity of citrus, fruity, and "woodsy" notes. A classic scent that is breathes clean, fresh, and distinguished. Well done, Mr. Lauren..!! While the longevity and projection/sillage of this new bottle is average, it seems that bottles produced in the late 90s or early 00s, the fragrance lasted longer with greater sillage. There have been comparisons to younger siblings, "Red, White, and Blue" and "Polo Blue Sport" - I am not sure I get those same notes. Each are great fragrances, but very much different than this blend.

Polo Sport has plenty of "Wow Factor" (compliments from the opposite sex) potential. The first day I wore this, I did not receive any compliments, but due to it's fresh and clean wake, the potential is there. One of the beauties about Polo Sport is the versatility or flexibility - perhaps tailored more for Spring and Summer, I feel confident the fragrance can be worn any time of year and for any occasion. It also can be a favorite for all ages - those of us who grew up with Polo Sport and the younger audience who want to feel clean and fresh.

The bottle is an exceptional and classic design - typical Ralph Lauren.. As mentioned, I purchased this online. That said, the packaging is average at best. I, generally, am not a "conspiracy theory" type of guy, but I have pondered the thought of authenticity of this purchase. (I will add the purchase was through a very reputable source..) Regardless, the packaging is average or modest.

Speaking of the purchase, Polo Sport can still be found moderately priced. My final tally of Polo Sport is 4.3 stars out of 5. Yes, there may be better fragrances out there - even I have those that rank higher - but Polo Sport is truly a classic fragrance that I enjoy. I highly recommend adding to your collection - or for us 40+ more distinguished gentlemen (and I use that term 'loosely'..), replenishing our cologne cabinet with a new bottle of Polo Sport.

The Daily I.M. - The best thing in the world, is the world itself (from one of my favorite movies). Make your life count...
10th April, 2014

Add your review of Polo Sport

Shop for Polo Sport products online

Shop for Polo Sport at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Polo Sport

Member images of Polo Sport

There are no member images of Polo Sport yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Polo Sport