Portfolio for Men (1999)

PackagingMarc Rosen
Parent CompanyFalic Group
Parent Company at launchParlux

About Portfolio for Men

Launched as the new signature scent for the Perry Ellis brand. Named Portfolio after Perry Ellis first ready to wear clothing line for men. [Sc]

Portfolio for Men fragrance notes

Reviews of Portfolio for Men

If you've been on websites like this one and read the forums for a while you learn that some people tend to "test drive" a new scent by spritzing a little on before bed and analyze it before falling asleep.

Some reviewers write about waking up and describe the scents' dry down or the end of its evolution on their skin by morning.

That's what I did with Perry Ellis' Portfolio, what happened though was that I was so tired that I fell asleep so I did not have the opportunity to monitor its transformation from initial application through the first hour.

What happened is that I suddenly woke up seven hours later wondering, "what is that smell"?

It does smell like shaving cream and it is not, to me, an impressive cologne for men. Synthetic, and pear/leather type of aroma, though no leather is listed in the note pyramid. With other scents I wake up and after catching a whiff of what I sprayed last night usually wake up thinking, "wow, nice" or "interesting" or "great"!

By the way, I knew this had not so great ratings but I had an ebay seller accidentally send me the regular Portfolio than the ELITE Portfolio, which gets great reviews.

07th July, 2015
Attractive pear dominated opening that though a bit heavy on the synthetic side doesn´t overpower and unfortunately fades all too quickly from the scene once the musk comes to the front in the dry down. Conceptualized as a work fragrance and for that purpose well executed. Inoffensive, a bit sweet and musky with no really overpowering green elements that could induce allergies or bad vibes.
Synthetic lavender similar to the one in Perry Ellis 360 Blue but far more restrained starts to assert itself in the middle notes five minutes in and pushes the blast of synthetic pear aside. For a minute or so the lavender is very astringent and cloying, before calming down when the base notes assert themselves.
The musk creeps in 10 minutes into the scene and absorbs some of the harsh synthetic lavender and pear accords and from that point on projection begins to falter but never really slips into skin scent territory until deep into the dry down.
Perry Ellis Portfolio is a musky, soapy middle-of-the-road release with no real presence or personality, perfect for the modern, politically correct American office space where impressions are assumed to be threatening. Instead what you get in this one is a musky dryer fabric sheet scent during the dry down that dominates the fragrance for most of its life and surprisingly holds on to the skin for a full work day. Very solid longevity for a light fruity fragrance, lasts 6-8 hours, though unremarkable and common as it is, it is still pleasing.
A less greenly and lighter version of Wings by Giorgio Beverly Hills. Serves its objective as a work fragrance to the hilt, but offers little else.
26th January, 2012
Decent fragrance. Reminiscent of Dior's Higher. I think it lasts a bit longer, though.

It has a pleasant pear fruitness.
11th November, 2009
Portfolio is very original. I really can't compare it to any other fragrance. It has an icy, slightly minty, almost sweet pear smell to it. It has a clean smell to it, with maybe a very, very slight hint of Mat (although I could be thinking of some other fragrance). I do enjoy the Portfolio line, and, in fact, I have all three, the Portfolio original, Portfolio Elite, and Portfolio Green. Of the three, the Portfolio Elite is my favorite. Perhaps it's because I'm partial to the color blue. The bottle looks like a cold blue winter day, and the smell is quite apropos for a cold blue winter day. I like wearing fragrances in the winter because your body heat seems to make the fragrance create a scent aura about your person.
06th September, 2008
Woody citrus. Pretty much nothing else. Inoffensive and casual but nothing unique.
23rd June, 2008
My first fragrance purchase. Fresh, clean pear/citrus scent. Bottle's great for travel, being brushed metal. Sprayer is unreliable, however. Lasts long enough. Linear. Reminds me of Boss In Motion. Smells crisp, but is cloying after a time. Hard to get excited over, but certainly not bad.
07th December, 2007

Add your review of Portfolio for Men

Shop for Portfolio for Men products online

Shop for Portfolio for Men at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Portfolio for Men

Member images of Portfolio for Men

There are no member images of Portfolio for Men yet. Why not be the first?