Pour Un Homme (1934)

PerfumerErnest Daltroff
PackagingFélicie Bergaud
Parent CompanyAles Group

About Pour Un Homme

Pour Un Homme is a masculine fragrance by Caron. The scent was launched in 1934 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Ernest Daltroff. The bottle was designed by Félicie Bergaud

Pour Un Homme fragrance notes

Reviews of Pour Un Homme

This is an OK cologne. I wear it once or twice a week with Arm & Hammer "fresh" natural deodorant. It's in-your-face lavender, which dries down to a warm vanilla base. Oh, and it's as cheap as dirt.

If anyone reading this has any Nicolai Pour Homme, DM me and I'll pay you whatever you want for it.
08th October, 2017
Metallic rosemary-lavender and sweet vanillic sandal. Pour un Homme is barely more than that. Two notes, carefully balanced, unfurling in a slow and steady evolution that increasingly blends warm with cool, chewy with hard textures, beige with blue.

Pour un Homme is for an old fashioned kind of guy. One who is modest and believes that discretion is the better part of valour... and so it should come as no surprise to find that this quiet and simple composition were in danger of being misunderstood in these days of high contrast formulae which broadcast at top volume. To underestimate this scent - just because it doesn't grab you by the nose - would be a mistake. It takes time and effort to get to know this one, (it took me quite a while to come round to it) but in the end the effort pays off.

Until Ernest Daltroff had the idea of pairing lavender with vanilla to create a masculine no one had done anything like it before. Despite the claims made for Jicky (which was originally a feminine) and some of the more dandified eaux de colognes, Pour un Homme was the first Eau de Toilette made solely for men.

For Daltroff this was a brave thing to do, some may even have thought it foolhardy, and for his business it was a gamble - a risky venture into the unknown. Men were not used to anything more than a brisk splash at shaving time which quickly faded away. For perfumers the problem was to avoid making anything for men that smelled (or lasted) like their wife's perfume. Anything effeminate which could pose a threat to a man's sense of his masculinity was to be avoided like the plague.

Anything flowery or sweet must, you would have thought, be rejected by the conservative taste of the male, and that's what makes the uptake of Caron's groundbreaking sweet lavender so remarkable. It was a huge success despite being a masculine that hugged so closely to the feminine codes. Or perhaps (in an era when most men wouldn't have been seen dead at a perfume counter) Pour un Homme was a winner precisely because it appealed to the wives, mothers and girlfriends who actually bought the stuff for their men.

Whatever the reasons behind its popularity, the secret of PuH's success with men surely lies in the subtle blend of traditional and more unusual modern odours. Lavender has longstanding associations with washing and this was the ideal candidate for introducing a perfume product into a man's daily grooming ritual - shaving, the only possible time when he could be induced to put on scent. The strategy, therefore, would be to replace the customary aftershave splash and friction with the new toilet water. To make it more acceptable to the recipient of this new fangled product, PuH opens with a sour vinegary note which is soon joined by the metallic tang of rosemary. Sour sweat and the sting of the razor give an edge to the lavender that would no doubt have been felt as reassuringly masculine by many men; not at all soft or effeminate, quite unlike the rounded pot pourri aroma of the linen closet. So far so good...

And then there is the vanilla base accord, backed up by sandalwood and amber. Sweet, yes, but who could possibly feel emasculated by the smell of toffee, cocoa and home baking; possibly just a slight regression to the oral stage of childhood dependency...? But there are no feminine flowers to scare off the wary male, just a slow evolution of subtly mingling contrasts and harmonies that he could ignore if necessary or enjoy if he chose.

PuH couldn't afford to be brash and in-yer-face like todays 'look at me' selfie style formulae. Back in 1934 Caron couldn't have been sure that men would take to wearing perfume of any kind; they had to tread carefully. This meant they had to offer something that was not too complex or difficult, something built around familiar notes, something masculine yet pleasing to women, something easy to wear yet still a little sophisticated. Something like Pour un Homme.

Even though it may feel tame by todays standards, launching this very subtle and captivating "special creation" for a man was a bold move. Caron took a chance, jumped into unknown territory and their gamble paid off. PuH became a triumphant best seller, and the house's biggest commercial success.

PuH was equally important for the wider world of perfume. It became the foundation for a whole new genre (or should that be gender?) of perfume, the one which has grown into what we now know as the masculine side of the aisle.

Pour un Homme de Caron; two chords that changed the face of perfume, two chords and a visionary nose.

*****
26th September, 2017 (last edited: 27th September, 2017)
A beautiful, powdery lavender, followed by rose, chocolate and a musky vanilla. It's well done. Masculine, but could be worn by a lady. Well, I wear it.
01st June, 2017
Not that it means a lot but I thought it worthwhile to register here in order to review this product.

I have been wearing this fragrance since 1967 when I was introduced to it by a lady friend who became my only lady for some time. I have continued to wear this product until today, 2017.

It is said that perfumes react differently to you personally and that the fragrance "settles" according to personal bodily functions. For me this particular blend has been a winner for 50 years. I have tried other fragrances from other companies from time to time and although they served me well I always somehow come back to Pour Un Homme.

Somehow this fragrance settles on my body and is detectable by others in a subtle way. Men have told me that I have a distinct fragrance, women seem to swoon over the fragrance and dare I say are "turned on", what else can I say, it works for me.

If you are a young man and want to try this old style fragrance give it a go, you will be pleasantly surprised how women react to the downright masculinity it puts out. A touch on your face and liberal squirts under the arm-pits will do the job. No deodorant let the lavender work itself for you.
31st March, 2017
Stardate 20170119:

Vintage Version:

For the record I love lavender and get my fix from the lavender farmer at the farmers market in Manhattan.

I have no idea why this is so liked. Lavender and vanilla just don't work here.
Any lavender oil is better than this abomination.

Come to think of it Caron makes crappy masculines - this, 3 Man, Yatagan. All meh and overrated IMO

Avoid this and get lavender oil instead (available in your neighborhood grocery store)
19th January, 2017
Pour Un Homme is my third foray into Caron masculines, and the second of the free samples they sent me. My expectations were of a lavender-and-vanilla composition, perhaps along the lines of Le Male, but I hoped for better.

The first several seconds are a literal blast of extremely realistic and naturally-rendered lavender - it took me aback a little at first but soon settled. After about half a minute, the vanilla comes in and melds nicely. An hour in, and the combination gives off a toasty, biscuity vibe that is redolent of coumarin.

Sadly, after a few hours, the sheer power of the dominant accords crosses the line into fly-spray territory, and stays there for some time. True story: I wore this to my son's primary school Christmas play. There were lots of other parents there, especially female, and I thought I caught a smell of a strong feminine Dior or Chanel. You guessed it - that's you, buddy, in your Caron.

Actually, at the end of the day Pour Un Homme returned to the coumarin phase that I find pleasant. However, there's no way I want to countenance the extensive fly-spray period again in a hurry.

There's no denying the quality, and the three-dimensional rounded impression left by all the Carons. However, after the magnificence of Troisieme Homme and the savagery of Yatagan, this one is a definite miss for me. It might seem a strange kind of averaging to render love/hate as a neutral rating, but it's my review and I can see this as a polarising scent. Thankfully, with the people at Caron being so nice, you can try before you buy.
15th December, 2016