Pour Un Homme (1934)

PerfumerErnest Daltroff
PackagingFélicie Bergaud
Parent CompanyAles Group

About Pour Un Homme

Pour Un Homme is a masculine fragrance by Caron. The scent was launched in 1934 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Ernest Daltroff. The bottle was designed by Félicie Bergaud

Pour Un Homme fragrance notes

Reviews of Pour Un Homme

A beautiful, powdery lavender, followed by rose, chocolate and a musky vanilla. It's well done. Masculine, but could be worn by a lady. Well, I wear it.
01st June, 2017
Not that it means a lot but I thought it worthwhile to register here in order to review this product.

I have been wearing this fragrance since 1967 when I was introduced to it by a lady friend who became my only lady for some time. I have continued to wear this product until today, 2017.

It is said that perfumes react differently to you personally and that the fragrance "settles" according to personal bodily functions. For me this particular blend has been a winner for 50 years. I have tried other fragrances from other companies from time to time and although they served me well I always somehow come back to Pour Un Homme.

Somehow this fragrance settles on my body and is detectable by others in a subtle way. Men have told me that I have a distinct fragrance, women seem to swoon over the fragrance and dare I say are "turned on", what else can I say, it works for me.

If you are a young man and want to try this old style fragrance give it a go, you will be pleasantly surprised how women react to the downright masculinity it puts out. A touch on your face and liberal squirts under the arm-pits will do the job. No deodorant let the lavender work itself for you.
31st March, 2017
Stardate 20170119:

Vintage Version:

For the record I love lavender and get my fix from the lavender farmer at the farmers market in Manhattan.

I have no idea why this is so liked. Lavender and vanilla just don't work here.
Any lavender oil is better than this abomination.

Come to think of it Caron makes crappy masculines - this, 3 Man, Yatagan. All meh and overrated IMO

Avoid this and get lavender oil instead (available in your neighborhood grocery store)
19th January, 2017
Pour Un Homme is my third foray into Caron masculines, and the second of the free samples they sent me. My expectations were of a lavender-and-vanilla composition, perhaps along the lines of Le Male, but I hoped for better.

The first several seconds are a literal blast of extremely realistic and naturally-rendered lavender - it took me aback a little at first but soon settled. After about half a minute, the vanilla comes in and melds nicely. An hour in, and the combination gives off a toasty, biscuity vibe that is redolent of coumarin.

Sadly, after a few hours, the sheer power of the dominant accords crosses the line into fly-spray territory, and stays there for some time. True story: I wore this to my son's primary school Christmas play. There were lots of other parents there, especially female, and I thought I caught a smell of a strong feminine Dior or Chanel. You guessed it - that's you, buddy, in your Caron.

Actually, at the end of the day Pour Un Homme returned to the coumarin phase that I find pleasant. However, there's no way I want to countenance the extensive fly-spray period again in a hurry.

There's no denying the quality, and the three-dimensional rounded impression left by all the Carons. However, after the magnificence of Troisieme Homme and the savagery of Yatagan, this one is a definite miss for me. It might seem a strange kind of averaging to render love/hate as a neutral rating, but it's my review and I can see this as a polarising scent. Thankfully, with the people at Caron being so nice, you can try before you buy.
15th December, 2016
As much time as I've given Pour Un Homme, I just don't like it.

The celebrated vintage version is just filthy, like the smell of a really old public restroom where the pipes and toilets are soaked with a century's worth of urine, in which someone has sprayed some sort of cheap lavender cleanser. In my mind, it lives next to Jicky in a museum of historical horrors, a disgusting tribute to how stinky people used to be that they would ever consider a smell like this an improvement on their natural odor.

Meanwhile, the modern version is less of a freakshow, having been considerably neutered of its urine smell. That being said, it's still rather unpleasant. Once the 3 minutes of nice lavender fades, we're left with the smell of dirty towels, which eventually goes rubbery and ends up smelling like a gross, mildewed plastic shower curtain.

I'm not really sure why I dislike Pour Un Homme when I generally enjoy weird, gross perfumes, at least from an artistic standpoint. Somehow, Pour Un Homme strikes me as a leftover mistake, like an antique mess devoid of nuance and artistry that has somehow lived on despite itself. I may lose snob points for this review, but thumbs down for me...
12th December, 2016
Of all of the fragrances I have sampled or owned, Caron Pour Un Homme perhaps most embodies the gap between first impressions and ‘acquired taste.’ Its top notes are potent and oily, while its base is unexpected, seemingly incompatibly sweet and warm. It smells, frankly, nothing like ‘cologne’ (no calone nor ambroxan, no generic Sephora smell here!) And then there is the incredible rawness of the lavender with its “playdough” smell…

Once you’ve worn it a few times, however, it becomes a different animal entirely. The lavender is still potent, but you see how the effect is not crude but calculatedly bracing, the lemon note giving it an acidic start, which to which the rosemary adds an almost mentholated astringency. Then the tonka bean (somewhere between cassia cinnamon and vanilla grass) appears bringing out its caramel characteristics of the lavender and providing segue to the richness of the vanilla. In the drydown, the hay-like warmth of coumarin settles mossily into the musk base, all of its still complimented by an herbaceous sweetness. Somewhere in there are textural expressions of cedar and sage to round out the hay. The primary notes (lavender and vanilla) are about cleanliness and affection, but the coumarin (this scent is really an essay on the coziness of fougeres) is solid comfort.

For all the positive posts by bloggers who really know their stuff, there is also a surprising amount of misinformed prejudice about this fragrance – that it is for dandies, that it is old fashioned, ‘feminine’, too basic, or just plain awful, but don’t be fooled. Once you’ve acquired a taste for it, it is one of the most consistently wearable masculines in production. The materials are good, and largely reformulation-proof, the longevity is decent and the sillage will certainly wake you up in the morning before settling down to a discreet and office-friendly allure that isn’t bad for yard work either (mixes well with sweat.) Great after a shave, pleasant before bed and something that someone you love will enjoy smelling on the collar of your shirt.
01st February, 2016