Preferred Stock (1990)

HouseCoty
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Beauty
Parent Company at launchPfizer

About Preferred Stock

Preferred Stock is a masculine fragrance by Coty. The scent was launched in 1990

Preferred Stock fragrance notes

Reviews of Preferred Stock

Preferred Stock was simply put, the everyman's Drakkar Noir. All the guys I know got it as a stocking stuffer or part of a gift set alongside Stetson, Sierra, Aspen, and other Coty/House of Stetson fragrances (when the latter was still a separate thing). Drakkar was just classier, sharper, and more crisp, while this tried to take the same dark, clean, mysterious yet distinct blast of cool and sweeten it up to something with less teeth.

Well, if you wanted something that made you stand out in a crowd at the local PTA meeting or Saturday bowling night, you wear Preferred Stock; if you want to do the same standing out at a five star restaurant or a night on Broadway, you wear Drakkar. It really was a simple matter of high or low end with these two, since that extra sweetness comes at the cost of more synthetics and a lessened sense of projection or longevity. It's not to be said that this one is terrible at either thing, it's just not a very powerful "powerhouse" despite falling into all the tropes of one in terms of composition.

I think it probably comes down to the reason for ownership: most guys with this don't have it by choice, unless it's their second bottle because they fell in love with the memories they made wearing the first. People wear this because they just have it lying around, much like the aforementioned Stetson, or things like Brut, Old Spice, Pierre Cardin, and anything in the Curve line by Liz Claiborne. It just became de-facto popular due to ubiquity, but not a ubiquity of desire, as all the folks who plunk down more money for the Drakkar, but because everyone else had bought them this thinking they needed it/wanted it.

To be fair and objective to the fragrance, it is a nice, well-balanced if somewhat synthetic fresh fougere. It comes with a nice patchouli, vetiver, and musk undertone to all that sweet soapy goodness on top, giving it surprising class and depth for what it is. If you always wanted a less risque Drakkar for office use, then this is your mainstay scent. Giorgio would try to take this scent trope further down the romantic path by cranking up the warmth and sweetness with their "Giorgio Red", but ultimately created something that was almost too sweet to be taken seriously, and became a niche fragrance rather than the next mass-market contender male scent like this was.

I'd say Preferred Stock is one of the finer latter 20th century Coty offerings for men this side of Stetson Original, but in the greater scheme of things, that really just makes it plain old-fashioned good, and not amazing. I honestly keep it in my collection because my brother loved wearing it, and when I want to feel sentimental I put some on and go to work, which is probably what everyone does who still wears it.
16th August, 2017
I've always been attracted to Preferred Stock solely by the name and package design. The black with red highlighting, and the geometric shaped logo that has a subtle gradation. Simple and very stylish. I assumed it would smell similar to Drakkar Noir.

It definitely reminds me of Drakkar Noir on the opening, although it's not necessarily the same. The reviews are accurate when they say it's like 25% Drakkar Noir and 75% Giorgio of Beverly Hills Red. Unfortunately it's really cheap and really crude smelling. Although I get hints of what it was trying to go for, if you wear this today, people will think you're wearing Raid.

I don't hate it though, at least as far as it's opening and heart notes are concerned. Like I said, I get the vibe it was going for. Raunchy and brash, characteristics of the 80s fragrances it was imitating. But there's a fine line between risky and eww. This walks that line but keeps falling over into "eww" territory.

The final dry down is really awful. Like dirt and cigarette butts. It's like you haven't bathed. It's how I imagine Pig-Pen from the Peanuts comic strip smells like.
03rd August, 2017 (last edited: 12th August, 2017)
From what I remember of Preferred Stock (through the 3.4oz splash bottle I still have) this was a contender scent in the early 90's.It was competing against Drakkar Noir's dark and leathery trademark and the cinnamon woodsy side of Red for Men by Giorgio.Many working class men bought it for the great price and it became a staple gift under the Christmas tree almost as common as English Leather.

This cologne smells of rough cinnamon and a pinch of violet.Citrus soaked tree bark and leather.A bit of white soap and a dash of vetiver to give it a little green quality.Preferred Stock was fairly harsh and synthetic...I'll agree to the judgement on that.But I got complimented on it now and then.And even when I smell it on someone passing by? I praise it over Drakkar Noir.Not perfect but Preferred Stock still smells good.It just might be something don't want to wear all four seasons of the year.It's a 4-6 hour cologne with fair projection.
18th February, 2017
I love it I wore quarts of this in the 90s and sadly enough I don't own it now.(but not for long)citrus bomb sandlewood and leather is what I get its got a sharp drakkar noir Gio red old spice vibe to me anyways, love it love it. fresh and clean no doubt
12th July, 2016
man114 Show all reviews
Wore this the last two days on a throwback because I've had a few bottles sitting here forever.

You know, I don't mind it. Sure it smells synthetic, it's cheap as dirt. It reminds me of a cheapened less complex Giorgio Red.

My rating is based somewhat in price but unlike the 1990s no one really wears it as much anymore due to all the fresh scents, so all I can say is isn't bad these days, kind of refreshing like people wearing Royal Copenhagen which no one seems to wear either despite wide availability (and I can spot that one a mile away).

02nd October, 2015
dreese Show all reviews
The descriptions here are accurate, but to my nose this comes across as bitter and synthetic.
06th February, 2015

Add your review of Preferred Stock

Shop for Preferred Stock products online

Shop for Preferred Stock at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Preferred Stock

Member images of Preferred Stock

There are no member images of Preferred Stock yet. Why not be the first?