Private Number for Men (1992)
by Etienne Aigner

Private Number for Men information

Year of Launch1992

HouseEtienne Aigner

About Private Number for Men

Private Number for Men is a masculine fragrance by Etienne Aigner. The scent was launched in 1992

Reviews of Private Number for Men

Basil, Bergamot, Galbanum, Neroli, Lavender, Fruit Note, Carnation, Jasmine, Rose, Clary Sage, Fir, Amber, Musk, Cedar, Moss, Tonka.

Every so often, the lady luck tips her cap in my direction and this time, I walked away with a NIB 50ml Private Number for Men for the staggering sum of $.99 plus $4 shipping. Not too shabby for juice that's fetching approximately $45 per bottle.

What made this even better was that I was searching for a deal on this particular scent since Aigner is my favorite designer house......and because I had never even sampled this 1992 offering. Suffice it to say that neither the price nor the scent itself disappointed me.

Private Number is a fougere that leans fresh and has a very similar fruit note that is implemented in Aigner's Statement for Men. That note is really the only link between both, but it left an impression on me in Statement and is no surprise that it stands out to me in Private Number.

Both Private Number (1992) and Statement (1994) are aptly named. Both are fougere's that are fresh with Private Number being lower in volume and Statement more boisterous. Private Number opens with a spicy citric accord that immediately introduces green and fruit. The heart of Carnation, Sage, Fir, Jasmin and Rose take on one, blended entity and contribute a very pleasant and indistinguishable accord. The sum of its parts are actually excellent and I could care less that I don't detect a conventional transition. The volume is close and I assume that's what makes it "Private".

Once the base accord unveils itself, the volume is even lower and a mossy wood with just a dash of sweet from amber and musk evolve into a very comfortable skin scent. Private Number is nice, soft, fresh and polite. It's true it breaks no new ground.........but so what? Good is good.

Another very good Aigner addition for my wardrobe .........and a thumbs up from SS.
04th March, 2015
I found this in a bag while cleaning cupboards in my home today. I vaguely remember this being a gift waaay back in the year it was released, i had tried this once, then stashed away and completely forgotten its existence and even who the hell gifted me this one. And not with good reason: i resprayed today and it's an embarrassing scrubber that has nothing going for it, no wonder it has been discontinued. Some things are best left forgotten.
31st March, 2011
Private Number is, or should I say was, an undiscovered gem. It opens with a fresh Eau-de-Cologne accord of citrus, lavender and orange blossom, but quickly dries down to a warm woody-ambery blend very similar to Jil Sander's Feeling Man. Private Number's base is lighter, though, and lasts quite well. It's distinctive, suave, and inviting, with a subtle sensuality beneath the refined exterior. This smells to me like Mozart's music sounds --- a lyrical, simply orchestrated journey, with little surprises along the way if you're paying attention.
14th March, 2010
I had a bottle of this in 1997. I also remember it as being an extraordinarily smooth and elegant fragrance, with prominent sandalwood and vanilla notes and no hard edges. It's a great mystery to me why this distinctive and classy scent was dropped as I would have loved to have made it my signature fragrance now.
17th September, 2009
Private number for men is a discontinued 1990's scent, but still can be found in some online shops, now for a low price..

Back in the 90's a good friend of mine used to wear it and somehow it has kept on my mind since then. I have always remembered this scent as something extrordinary smooth, hardly comparable with any other scent I had known.

After I purchased it a few weeks ago and tested it on my skin my opinion about it now is ambivalent. I like the mild, slightly floral heart- and basenotes (musk, smooth gardenia?). Unfortunately, in the topnote, I smell one component that is quite disgusting, like too much nutmeg. However, this vanishes after half an hour, and then you have a very beautiful sunny day scent on your skin.

Since it brings back some memories for me, I am glad about my purchase, but I think it deserves a neutral rating.

22nd November, 2008

Add your review of Private Number for Men

Shop for Private Number for Men products online

Shop for Private Number for Men at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Private Number for Men

Member images of Private Number for Men

There are no member images of Private Number for Men yet. Why not be the first?