PS (1979)

About PS

PS is a masculine fragrance by Paul Sebastian. The scent was launched in 1979

PS fragrance notes

Reviews of PS

Paul Sebastian Fine Cologne is one of my few, rare "perfects" for so many different reasons, where shall I begin? For starters, few know that Paul Sebastian is not an individual designer, but rather a portmanteau of the middle names of it's two creators: Leonard Paul Cuozzo and Alan Sebastian Greco. These New Jersey residents concocted this scent completely on their own in 1979, and began marketing it locally to various Tri-State area shops via relationships with distributors and made a name for themselves with the scent in and around their home turf. They had considerable success without any traditional marketing and advertisement by packing the scent along with PS-branded gifts like mugs and playing cards, etc. Interest in the scent grew and soon PSI Paul Sebastian Inc. was a fragrance company making this stuff for global distribution, eventually launching a women's scent "Design" in 1985, to be followed by the male counterpart a decade later, along with "Casual" the same year. Before long PSI Paul Sebastian Inc was bought by FFI and eventually absorbed into EA Fragrances where it is today, with our New Jersey entrepreneurs probably sitting on a mint before it was all over.

As for the rest of us, well what we got was a staple oriental that no man should really ever be without. PS Fine Cologne is exactly that: an expertly blended assemblage of classic basenotes such as sandalwood, patchouli, vanilla, musk, with a very simple heart and middle note structure of sage and lavender that just takes us by the hand and leads us down into the warm comfort of that base within minutes of dry-down. PS is warm and inviting, sweet, elegantly simple, yet sophisticated from the blending; one is hard-pressed to pick out any of the individual notes except maybe the armoise, lavender, and vanilla. I'd swear there is some sort of fatty or fecal note in here too lending additional thickness, but I'm no expert nose. The way PS goes on skin fresh then softens, heats, and mellows it's way to the finish makes it perhaps the most inoffensive oriental I've seen, which is part of why it's just so great. You can slap this on in summer just a tad to project that lavender and sandalwood, heap it on in winter to really crank up the vanilla and musk, plus just dot it or it's slightly lighter after shave component around during any season after a wet shave or shower to soothe the senses. It's genteel and classy enough to hang at fine dining occasions or professional meetings, but sensual enough for romantic use too. I'd say this one doesn't quite fit in athletic use or day trips with friends, as it just doesn't have enough fresh oomph for that, but an oriental fragrance is as an oriental fragrance does.

There is a bit of a warning side-note to this however: overapplying turns what is otherwise a refined and gentle scent into an oily, fatty, and musky sillage monster of nose-bleeding proportions. There was a coworker of mine years and years ago that ruined my taste for Joop and nearly ruined my taste for this as well by using it in weapons-grade quantities. I don't know what it was about this guy picking the strongest male fragrances out there and then spraying or splashing them to death all over him, but despite this one's mild manner, it can be a unsavory sweltering beast if you don't use it properly. PS is a strong fragrance by the nature of it's composition, but it's not a throbbing, pulsing strong like some powerhouse scents of the period, but rather a steady sustaining power chord from a lovely vintage guitar; it's the kind of strong that mesmerizes you rather than puts you on the defensive. This timeless scent could have come about in the 20's, the 60's the tail end of the 70's as it did, or now, it's just that timeless. It uses commonly found ingredients in an execution that elevates them to a place far greater than the sum of their parts. Bravo to those two guys from New Jersey, they have my heart in their hands.
01st November, 2017
Note: Review is based on a bottle tried in 2014.

As a lover of perfumes from earlier decades, PS was a huge disappointment. The composition is a standard run of the mill 'masculine' with spices, musk, patchouli, and other wood notes. It is densely blended to achieve that particular effect where discerning individual notes is hard, and it comes off as a single blend/accord. Something like this should have been respectable, at least. However, the quality is severely compromised by inferior ingredients: the result is cheapness amplified. It is somewhat nasty and abrasive (in an olfactory sense, rather than chemical), and I wouldn't begrudge anyone who would proceed to hastily wash this one off after application.

In fact, that's precisely what I did.

17th May, 2017
In the Summer this Colonge smells very Musky and Spicy. It last like 13 hours and it smells the whole room when your wearing it. In the Winter it doesnt smell musky at all. It smells like Obsession For Men. Light and it doesnt last long. The season change made me order a Vintage (1979) bottle from Ebay... BIG MISTAKE cause it smelled like Trees. I assumed the colonge went Bad until I realized the season changed the smell.
04th March, 2017
Crisp, spicy, fresh, classy, mature...these are the words that come to mind in describing Paul Sebastian Fine Cologne. Quite easy to locate and at very good prices...PS is overall a simple, linear, and predictable scent that doesn't overpower (unless too much is applied). The wood notes work nicely with the subtle vanilla and lavender ones, resulting in a very masculine scent that esp. works well for formal occasions, IMO.
09th December, 2016
I've got a somewhat amusing story to share on this one. My wife was out of town for two weeks visiting a sick friend, and when I picked her up at the airport and we were waiting at the baggage claim, a gentleman who I'll guess to have been in his 60's happened to walk by and my nose went off perceiving a familiar fragrance. Mortifying my in some ways shy (or perhaps in some ways reserved) wife, I actually begged the gentleman's pardon and inquired what fragrance he was wearing, and he was kind enough to answer that he was wearing Paul Sebastian. I thanked and complimented him and looked into it as soon as I got home and ordered, guessing correctly that it was PS.

One of my longtime seniors where I practice Aikido always had this fragrance to him that seemed to hint at aspects of Clubman Original or Brut but was neither, and I guess I became so used to it on him that it no longer occurred to me to ask, it was simply him. But I always associated it with his calm, easygoing and helpful yet in control and precise manner on the mat. Perhaps it's a little odd, but I must say that I'm happy to have discovered and obtained this fragrance to enjoy from time to time on myself, which while it always brings my good friend to mind, assimilates itself to fit me in my own way when I wear it.

I'd also like to add that I'm one who tends to feel a touch of hesitation when I see vanilla in the listed notes. Not that I necessarily have anything against it, but I find that for my tastes, it's a note that can easily be presented in an overly powdery and/or overly sweet manifestation that just doesn't strike me as masculine and just doesn't feel like it suits me. However, much like in the above mentioned Brut and Clubman Original, PS achieves a wonderful balance with it that I can assure you is not powdery, not too sweet, and is masculine. In PS it seems to occupy one's space in a commanding yet completely unimposing manner.

I would also share that earlier this week I wore this one day deciding to apply two sprays, and not only did that last me through the entire day, but the next day was a snow day allowing me the luxury to bum around, and since I knew I would be doing some shoveling, I just threw on the sweatshirt that I was wearing the previous day when I had applied two sprays of PS to my chest. Would ya know it? It lingered on my shirt even though I had given it enough time to dry when I had applied it to my skin the previous day before putting my sweatshirt on, and I ended up not wearing any other fragrance that day as it once again lasted me the whole day, this time from the previous day's sweatshirt!

I know, I know. Terribly written paragraph! But you get the idea. I recommend this fragrance. Enjoy!
29th January, 2015
I would have to agree with Gentleman Farmer... I have been a user of Paul Sebastian since the mid 1980's... and all through the years I consistently received compliments on the cologne... I too recently decided to replenish some of my stock... and also noticed the different coloration... only to also discover that the formulation had been changed... I wonder what genius decided to change and ruin what was one of the most balanced, masculine, great smelling, long lasting colognes on the market.

The new cologne is horrid... Unfortunately, when I opened the new version of this cologne, I had gone well past the the time to return the cologne and get a refund.. so, I simply threw 3 bottles of the new formulation right into the garbage can (I could not even bring myself to give these to someone else... just garbage).

Fortunately, I still have 4 bottles of the original formulation, so I should be good for a while, but I will be looking for a new masculine long lasting fragrance.... So disappointed.
11th January, 2015

Add your review of PS

Shop for PS products online

Shop for PS at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for PS

Member images of PS

There are no member images of PS yet. Why not be the first?