Rahät Loukoum (1998)

HouseSerge Lutens
PerfumerChristopher Sheldrake
Parent CompanyShiseido

About Rahät Loukoum

Rahät Loukoum is a shared / unisex perfume by Serge Lutens. The scent was launched in 1998 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Christopher Sheldrake

Reviews of Rahät Loukoum

Meriem Show all reviews
This is a decent gourmand, but for me, a bit underwhelming.

The primary problem with it where I am concerned is that it's a riff on marzipan to me, not lokum, which is confusing to the point of being a little offputting (I might be a bit too literalist, but if you're going to create a perfume named "Rahät Loukhoum," I feel that it really should do what it says on the tin. Or at least not smell so very much like something else entirely). It's almonds and cherries. Almonds and cherries are lovely. But they aren't roses, or pomegranates, or mastic, or pistachios, or any other note one might reasonably expect to get from something purporting to be based on Turkish delight. I don't even really get a sugar/powdery note from it as I would expect with lokum, but rather a honey and vanilla.

Laying aside the fact that it just isn't very lokum-like, and judging it on its own terms: it's pleasant, but it's not very intriguing. And since it is not in fact lokum to me, I am a bit underenthusiastic about it all around.
08th November, 2017
Notorious as a sweet candy bomb, with reviews so polarized that you know there's something really interesting going on. Rahat Loukoum is a kind of dare, along the lines of "bet you can't pull off this one." Well sure you can, if you love sweet almondy fragrances. This one moves to the head of that class via complexity and style. Various support notes, notably aldehydes and bitter almond, play in and out for hours, lending a much-needed air of playfulness and joy to a fragrance that easily could have veered into tragic overkill. Try to track down one of the older, smaller bottles. A tiny bit goes a very long way.
08th October, 2017 (last edited: 10th October, 2017)
A variation on the classic formula of Mugler's Angel.

From the descriptions of cherry and almond in the reviews here, I was prepared to smell the first version of Lutens' Louve (almost a decade later), but no.

One immediately gets the Angel impression of Christmas potpourri one smells in all the mall shops at Christmas time. Candles reek of it, it is sprayed on wreaths and is contained in actual aerosol cans for spraying about the house at holiday time.

Being rather a fan of this scent, though not interested in wearing it after my first bottle of Angel emptied, I can recommend it as rather festive. I can only give it a neutral rating due to it being copied from Mugler's formula with fewer ingredients. Rahat concentrates on linear fulfillment of the top notes of Angel, rather than truly replicating that complex and unique creation.

Considering the cost difference, best to choose the original Angel and get the benefit of more thought and effort.
07th June, 2016
This is a very complex and pleasant feminine fragrance that you may not get all the layers of the scent with only one testing. it took my a few more testing because of it's complexity.
The opening is a sweet and bitter combination of cherry, almonds and honey. the cherry note is a little bit harsh at the start and I do recommend to let it stay on your skin for about 4-5 seconds and then try smelling it. there is a strong bitterness beside this fruity opening and it has an oily quality into it.
Actually it's like the smell of bitter almond's oil plus fruity cherry and sweet honey.
The honey note is the savior here that calms down the bitterness of the almond note and also with the help of cherry creates a sensual fruity aroma.
As time passes, I'm getting a little less cherry and at the same time a little more honey. the bitterness of the almonds does exist, but now it has less oily feeling and a little more bitterness. with these small changes suddenly musk kicks in from nowhere and it says hi! it's not that strong but I can feel it beside other notes.
The quality and blending of the notes is awesome. you can smell and separate all these notes one by one which is amazing.
In the base the fruity cherry and bitter almond notes are in the background. at this level warm and sweet honey note and musk exchanging their position with vanilla. the sweetness of the scent does exist though, but now it's vanilla like sweetness instead of honey like and musky sweetness.
If guys who reading this do enjoy sweet and bitter scents, this will work for them too. this can be unisex for sure.
Projection is good and longevity is around 6-7 hours on my skin.
Master Christopher Sheldrake did it again!
19th June, 2014
I sniffed out the milky bitter almonds right off the bat but they subside well enough to greet the arrival of heliotrope and cherries on a surprisingly resinous base of vanilla and tonka. Sweet? Hardly. And I do have low tolerance for sweetness. Yet this does not set off my saccharin siren. Perhaps the key lies in moderating the fragrance application.

The texture feels slightly powdery, much like a delicate dusting of icing sugar on a piece of confection but considering the hint of floral note at its heart the overall impression I have of RAHAT LOUKOUM is not of a dense and syrupy-sweet straight-out gourmand but rather of a light oriental with a gourmand twist. If you like airy powdery almond/heliotrope scents such as Hypnotic Poison, Cologne Blanche or L'Eau d'Hiver, chances are you will enjoy this.
28th February, 2012 (last edited: 16th March, 2012)
Delicious! Not having read the list of ingredients I actually thought the cherries were a sort of screaming tuberose that got very food-y because of the sweetness of the juice. In the middle notes I got a very resinous vanilla, something reminding me of tonka... Along with a spicy, slightly burnt note which I guessed was something along the lines of myrrh or lapsang suchoung. A gourmand oriental would be my description. Couldn't stop smelling my wrist when I wore it.
11th February, 2011

Add your review of Rahät Loukoum

Shop for Rahät Loukoum products online

Search Amazon for Rahät Loukoum

Member images of Rahät Loukoum

There are no member images of Rahät Loukoum yet. Why not be the first?