Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne (1941)
by Caron

Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne information

Year of Launch1941

HouseCaron
PerfumerErnest Daltroff
PackagingFélicie Bergaud

About Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne

Now called Royal Bain de Caron after the Champagne manufacturers had a word, suffering the same fate as what was to become Yvresse by YSL.

Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne fragrance notes

Reviews of Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne

Genre: Oriental

Royal Bain de Caron is a bright, citrus-laden oriental scent built over a sweet and intensely powdery vanilla and amber base. The creamy texture of its citrus accord reminds me for some reason of Shalimar, and I suppose that if you peeled away the civet, the smoke, and the spices from Shalimar, you’d wind up with something like Royal Bain de Caron. All of which is a roundabout way of saying that Royal Bain de Caron is a stripped down version of the classical oriental fragrance structure.

In its apparent simplicity and the “tutti frutti” nature of its citrus accord, Royal Bain de Caron seems surprisingly modern for a 1920s composition. I recall reading somewhere that Royal Bain de Caron was reformulated in the 1990s, and I have to say it smells like it. I can’t deny that it’s buoyant and cheerful, rare qualities among oriental fragrances, but Royal Bain de Caron also smells thin and bare to me, like an orchestral theme played on an electric keyboard. Whether you enjoy this scent depends on what you want out of an oriental fragrance. If it’s sweet powder and good cheer you’re after, Royal Bain de Caron has plenty, but for the exotic spices, sultry atmosphere, and mysterious depths an oriental fragrance can conjure, you’ll have to look elsewhere.
01st July, 2014
bFlay Show all reviews
So I tried this after having it recommended to me several times by my local shop girl. I will allow as other reviewers talk of the many different reformulations that my experience may have been bottle/batch specific. RBdC is...interesting. I'm doubtful of the "shared" designation as it is very sweetly floral, definitely lilac and a pure lilac at that. The cedar note is there and im not sure it harmonizes very well with the lilac. Together they tend to smell like Grandmother's hope chest when opened on a hot, humid day. This MIGHT be pleasant for a certain niche of women, but really doesn't spark a masculine vibe...or a youthful one. RBdC does last remarkably long - over 8 hours on skin.
19th May, 2014
Caron is a fragrance house that can't leave you indifferent (Guerlain is, to my mind, much more consensual).

RBdC opens in a very strong and very disturbing opening note, like the shock you have opening a bottle of champagne.

And then, after few seconds, it softens in plain Vanilla and a floral, powdery scent, like those old violet candies...

I wouldn't wear it outside. But for a sunday of early december, when you want to take care of yourself and have a touch of nostalgia, it is just perfect.
29th November, 2013
I first wore this in the mid-1970s and continued to use it for about twenty years, when its strength began turning me off for some reason.

None of the descriptions here match my experience of the scent, which I can best
describe as that of melons and vanilla.

It was totally unique for its time (it may have been re-formulated) and always caused a stir in public. I loved it, but it's part of my scent history at this point.

Would highly recommend the original formulation.
27th March, 2013
Two things to know about Royal Bain de Champagne by Caron:

(1) It is not a bath oil, or bubble bath, or bath product

(2) It does not smell like Champagne

What it is. A lilac and vanilla Eau de Toilette. This soft oriental in the family of En Passant, Jarling, and Stila Creme Bouquet, with a touch of soap. Once I figured out what it is, I started to love it. A must-sample for lilac fans.
20th November, 2012
It's always fun to review perfumes from the house of Caron, because everyone knows that everything that anyone says may well be true—about their specific formulation! In this case, my generous vial of ROYAL BAIN DE CHAMPAGNE bears the original name (before the champagne police filed another law suit, or did this one precede CHAMPAGNE/YVRESSE?) and came in a box with the reference/batch #Q6961492 GE.

All of this means, of course, that I can blather on with impunity, with no danger of anyone charging me with anosmia, since the likelihood that anyone reading these words has a sample from this very batch is no doubt vanishingly small. With this feeling of liberation to galvanize my spirit, let me begin by saying that I really had no idea whatsoever what this fragrance was about. The original name, to begin with, was all wrong—at least as regards the contents of my vial from batch #Q6961492 GE. Far from evoking images and memories of champagne, this bain would appear to be filled with chopped up leaves of wilted tuberose. It's not really tuberose, I realize, given the notes said to be in the original perfume, but that's what the overall effect is to my nose, a sort of pseudo-tuberose: thick and tuberose-esque without however approaching the heights (and authenticity) of FRACAS or CARNAL FLOWER. Key word here: thick.

How can I be detecting a thick pseudo-tuberose note in a fragrance devoid of tuberose? you may ask. Probably in the same way that a monkey sitting in front of a typewriter for an infinite amount of time would eventually produce all of the works of William Shakespeare. Just keep mixing the components up again and again, and forget the recipe, and let someone else throw in his two cents' worth of advice, and then start again, and fiddle some more, and eventually, when all the planets are correctly aligned, a vial drawn from batch #Q6961492 GE will find its way into the hands of a single sniffer, on a day with the right humidity, who has precisely the chemical components in her body created through the digestion of eggplant and garlic sauteed in sesame oil and served with sticky brown rice. That person, and that person alone, will smell pseudo-tuberose in ROYAL BAIN DE CHAMPAGNE, batch #Q6961492 GE.

It's not bad, I think, but in order to fairly evaluate this scent, I'll need to try it in a bath. There's no point in complaining that an apple's not an orange, after all. If, as legend has it, ROYAL BAIN DE CHAMPAGNE was composed to be used as a surrogate solution for the champagne with which some wealthy gent scented his baths, then it really must be tested in those waters. I may have to acquire a bottle for that purpose. Do try this at home!
05th September, 2011

Add your review of Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne

Shop for Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne products online

Shop for Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne

Member images of Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne

There are no member images of Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne yet. Why not be the first?