Royal Copenhagen Musk (1976)
    by Royal Copenhagen

Average Rating: 3

Based on 21 ratings

Royal Copenhagen Musk information

Royal Copenhagen Musk is a men's fragrance by Royal Copenhagen. The scent was launched in 1976

Shop for Royal Copenhagen Musk products online

100ml Cologne
    100ml Cologne
    60ml Cologne

Reviews of Royal Copenhagen Musk

Showing 1 to 6 of 8 reviews.
    positive 5 Positive Reviewsneutral4 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

ericrico's avatar

This review is for Vintage formulation of Royal Copenhagen Musk (from an 8oz. Splash bottle):

Very, very good...and, "special", to me. I read the reviews here and what I got was similar to Shifty Bat. To me, this is about fresh herbal/green notes balanced with florals - all on a base of musk and moss. The opening is rather striking and one that I really am fond of. One does not think a "Musk" could be so clean, airy and yet rich with all these notes that are far away from an animalic accord - and this is done exceptionally well.

You see, I know the original Royal Copenhagen from my youth, along with original Vintage bottlings of Jovan Musk for Men, Coty's Musk, Vintage Jovan Sex Appeal for Men, Original Old Spice, Vintage Brut and many others. I am pretty sure my father had the "Musk" bottling by RC in its Vintage form when I was young, so I sought it out to do a comparative thread on Vintage "Musk" scents of a bygone era. This one struck me as profoundly different and one that I have a deep fondness for - like I did for Original/Vintage Royal Copenhagen when I was a kid. This is not about macho - this is about refreshment and a wonderful aromatic composition that lasts virtually all day. A little touch-up goes a long way, too!

The opening of lavender and herbs is great - mostly sage and basil, but I detect a hint of thyme as well. This is very nice and definitely (in Vintage form) does not smell cheap or overly synthetic. Read Jon_Remy's review above and you will see that I am not alone in my opinion - what it is today is nothing more than a bottle of synthetic blue liquid that smells cheap. Original/Vintage RC Musk is another scent altogether!! It is well-worth seeking out.

The transition from the bright and lively top to the nice floral heart is wonderful and the lavender stays and the herbs keep lingering for a great effect...I find this builds in warmth and strength on my skin like a true, good musk should. The jasmine in the heart creates the powdery accord, but not one that is unnatural or anything feminine, or is it too powdery at all. It actually "softens" the scent and makes it less sharp - allowing it to warm up nice and blend better with the other florals & spices and well into the base. Along with the neroli and lily-of-the-valley, this really opens up. Nutmeg comes in at the end of the heart along with the cloves - this is really breathing nicely and opens up. The spices are key here as they take the freshness of the lavender and herbs, slight powder from the jasmine and other florals from the heart and transition the scent to a nice dry down that really is wonderful. They are key in the composition. I adore the heart of this and find it to be compelling as it lingers for a long time...

The base is where the warmth comes from - again, very natural. I get a nice oakmoss first (again, mine in Vintage and pre-IFRA ban...so the true pyramid!) that really keeps this green and also a wonderful fixative that helps the freshness last. Along with a nice natural, earthy feel with the patchouli - which is a green note here, not dark at all. The scent then goes into the nice clean musk. This is a nice and vibrant musk that is not dirty. What is smoldering under all of that is a smooth amber note - creating the solid base for this fragrance. Really a great fougere "vibe" from this...just no coumarin. Just a touch soapy and knightz puts forth - but in a classy, "milled-soap" feeling of cleanliness and sophistication.

This is NOT even remotely the same as what current formulation is, so if you run out and buy a bottle from the drugstore expecting to get the Vintage Royal Copenhagen Musk, you will be very disappointed. I have only tried smelling by unscrewing the cap...and put it back on the shelf immediately.

So, this bottle led me on a retro-journey to travel back. I still need to procure a couple more bottles that my father used to have, but I now have enough to start writing. What I find so good about RC Musk in Vintage form is how the entire composition just comes together and stays fresh for hours. This smells a bit dated - but so am I. ;-) I will be 40 later this year and have a large collection of Vintage fragrances from top labels. What I wanted to do was revisit the Musk's of Yesteryear. I am familiar with layering Vintage RC with Vintage RC Musk, but I wanted to write this review about Royal Copenhagen Musk in Vintage form unto itself.

A memory...and now a great scent that I look forward to wearing (along with the other Vintage Musks) that I bought at first just to see "how much" things have changed, knowing them from my youth and smelling the chemical waste that is being labeled today under the same name.

To remember vividly - is there anything more cool, Macho and Masculine from my youth than the moment I saw my dad finish shaving, rinse off the shaving cream and then reaching up into that cabinet, pulling down a bottle of nice musk, cupping his hand and splashing it on vigorously? No. The days are gone, but the images linger in my memory. It is what brought me to scent. It is part of me. Smelling my father and the aroma around him, now that's a man! It would last all-day long! When he left, I would sometimes even climb up to reach a precious bottle just to smell it and dab a little bit on (before I was shaving!). How it brings me back...

This is truly exceptional scent that I have and I am very glad I decided to take this interesting little tangent in the world of fragrance. I will, for memories sake, keep a nice rotation of Vintage Musks around. Whether or not I even shave in the morning - after showering or washing my face thoroughly with a nice soap/cleanser, I find myself reaching for this bottle and other Vintage Musks as a way to start my day. A nice vigorous splash. I actually have to shower or wash it off in order to change scents as it is so potent and radiating - now, that is how it USED to be!!! I also sometimes touch up and put another splash on...it never gets cloying or overbearing. To smell like a gentleman never goes out of style and retro scents actually bring compliments from all age groups. It is how you carry yourself, your attire and attitude. It's about being a Man...something that perhaps is rare to find in our modern times. Not brash, overly-macho or arrogant - but refined, fresh and confident.

No score. Precious memories are not quantifiable with a fraction.

For you, Dad.

26 June, 2012

Shifty Bat's avatar

I knew there was no way a flanker could stack up to the original RC, a reigning champ in my rotation, but I really am pleased with this. (Top notes are lavender, basil and sage; middle notes are jasmine, neroli and lily-of-the-valley; base notes are nutmeg, patchouli, amber, musk, oakmoss and cloves.)
    For me it boils down to a pleasantly bitter-sweet vanilla lavender scent, but it has motion to it. The musky-sweet top that smells like the color of the juice itself would suggest is both garden-herbal green and fizzy and grape-like, the latter aspect reminiscent of Escada's Magnetism for Men. In fact, RC Musk now seems to me a bit like a cross between Magnetism and the original RC. For the first ten or twenty minutes I was a little off-put and self-conscious about the strange, old timey herbal potency of the opening. This is just a flash in the pan though, and Musk turns down the volume considerably thereafter and stays close, warming as it does as the ambery clove base with a smoothing, almost creamy nutmeg begins to rise. Sweet, soapy, a touch green, and in the end a very pleasant wear for me. Perhaps a little dated, but unlike anything else I wear.

23 March, 2011

Worth1969's avatar

I remember wearing this as a winter fragrance back in the late 80's (that's when I discovered it). As i recall, the original version was a viril, yet sensous musk with great longevity and warmth. The five star fragrance company has since taken over and pretty much ruined the scent. I purchased it recently without trying it first and, suffice it to say, was deeply disappointed with the results. This now smells like an outdated drug store musk with a funky, murky quality that resembles rotten fruit. From now on, when purchasing an older scent I'm going to insist on trying it on my skin first. Five Star fragrances??
    Are you kidding me?!!!

thumbs up for the original version.
    Thumbs way down for the remake!

29 September, 2009

Jon_Remy's avatar

This used to be my ALL-TIME favorite, but not anymore. Over the years, fragrance companies have watered down their fragrances and this appears to be one of them. I remember it being a rich, long-lasting GREAT musk. That was then, but this is now and all I can say is, IT'S CHEAP. Its staying power is pathetic, maybe 5 minutes. It is nothing like what I remember. The older version lasted all day. This obviously "new formula" smells mostly like the original RC Musk, but is really, really pathetic. I leave the top off so that hopefully the alcohol will evaporate and leave it a little more concentrated, but that didn't even help. I suppose if this ever came out in an eau de parfum version, then I'd consider buying it. It's truly sad that companies cut back on the essential oils to cut corners. It's just another example of pulling the wool over our eyes thinking we won't notice. Well, we do, and I suppose I'll have to find another alternative. The Kiehl's musk is really nice, as well as Dana's Monsieur Musk. This really used to be my favorite musk, and now I'm sad :(

13 March, 2009

tvlampboy's avatar

Sweet, strong, synthetic Seventies sex sap. A must have for fans of Kiehl's and Jovan. This "Disco Stu" juice may take a lot of flak, but, hey, it's sexy enough to have gotten millions of men laid all around the world.

Buy it -- it's cheap. If you don't like it, you can always pack it up as a little gift for your next Basenotes swap.

09 February, 2009

Stu's avatar

One of the first fragrances I ever purchased and still evokes many memories for me as well. I would actually wear it again.

04 May, 2008

• Time Left: 22 days
    Royal Copenhagen Musk For Men 3.3 oz Eau De Cologne Spray By Royal Copenhagen
    • Time Left: 25 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Royal Copenhagen Musk by Royal Copenhagen 8 oz edc Cologne Splash (Original)
    • Listing Type: Auction
    • Time Left: 6 days
    Royal Copenhagen Musk Men 8 oz 8.0 oz 240 ml Cologne edc Splash New in Box
    • Time Left: 13 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    ROYAL COPENHAGEN MUSK 2.0 OZ / 2 OZ / 60 ML AFTER SHAVE LOTION SPLASH NEW IN BOX
    • Time Left: 4 days