Royal Delight (1993)

Royal Delight information

Year of Launch1993

Parent CompanyCreed

About Royal Delight

The story of Creed Royal Delight is a story of romance and escape. A year after the death of the King of Spain, his widow, the Queen, commissioned a fragrance from Creed in 1886 for the new man she would marry in secret, a royal guard. In those days, royal widows were not to remarry.  Royal Delight is a leathery-floral fragrance the Queen’s new husband loved and wore. With this gift of scent, the couple lived happily ever after, although news of their marriage caused scandal and forced the Queen from her throne.

Royal Delight fragrance notes

Reviews of Royal Delight

Creed Royal Delight is a somewhat less discussed discontinued EDT-era offering, a creamy, sweet, floral/leather mix.

It's a mix of citruses, florals, leather, and ambergris, and it's unclear what makes the blend slightly sweet. Perhaps it's just the ambergris mixing with the florals and citrus in a certain way, as surely the leather would contrast this.

The leather is subtle, though, a base at the bottom at what more strikes me like a wood-based blend, with lasting citrus and the violet/jasmine blend assists without overwhelming. Violet perhaps adds the perfect amount of sharpness, just as it does in Green Irish Tweed, without really taking over or distracting.

Royal Delight reminds me of a lot of Original Santal, not so much in terms of the actual notes but in terms of sweet, creamy, citrus, woody vibe that I get out of both.

Performance is very good and the fragrance is highly versatile, but I believe it fetches a pretty penny since it's been discontinued. Still, a great entry from the line and another example of a discontinued that perhaps shouldn't have been, though ultimately I do get the same mood from Original Santal. From what I can tell, though, I'm on an island with that perspective, though.

8 out of 10
27th February, 2018
rbaker Show all reviews
The fresh opening with a citric bergamot is creating a nice opening blast.

Soon this gives way to a floral drydown, with more violet and jasmine on my skin. Sweet, rich and with a creamy character, but never cloying.

The other major player is a rich and luscious vanilla, which at times has indolic undertones. Added to that is the leather, a rich, luxurious sweetish leather, less intense than REL and more integrated into the rest of the mix than a freestanding leather.

The sillage is moderate, the projection excellent, and the longevity an impressive - especially for a Creed - ten hours on my skin.

This rich autumnal creation is based in quite an original triad of leather, floral and vanilla that is blended beautifully with the other components. The ingredients are of excellent quality. At times it lacks structural refinement, but apart from that it is a fine Creed. 3.75/5.
27th February, 2018
The length of time this perfume lasts on the skin is astounding. It fills the room with only one spray. I must say that I bought this blindly. Not knowing what to expect, I went into the scent with an open mind. I knew that there were leather notes with ambergris, and was prepared for a masculine scent. The bergamot opens nicely and it immediately transitions into a jasmine/violet floral scent. Throughout the dry-down, I get a very musky smell. Could be the leather and ambergris working together. I like the scent, but because I feel that I wont get compliments out with this on, I will give it a neutral rating. I will most likely wear this around the house, and around family.
17th February, 2016
revtil Show all reviews
Royal Delight was a blind buy for me, and I really had no idea what to expect, considering the many polarizing reviews. I'm not sure if the reformulation stories are true, but I don't get any resemblance to Original Santal or Joop. What I do get is a burst of wonderful citrus top notes, a zesty tangerine, followed by a slightly animalic accord. It slowly dries down to a dark floral and powdery leather. Longevity is excellent and 2-3 sprays is really all one needs, otherwise it may be a bit cloying. I definitely feel this is a more mature, sophisticated, and older style fragrance - one that won't be appreciated by those just starting their fragrance journey. Surely not something a person in their twenties would wear. Come back to it though and I think you'll really appreciate it.
02nd December, 2015
I was pounded first by the violet and then the leather. It reminded me of Green Irish Tweed a little (due to the violet middle note). After a while the violet strengthens into a flowery grape smell with the jasmine. The bergamot is in the background and fades pretty quickly. The tangerine stays for a while to sweeten up the violet and jasmine. It stays like this for a long time and for some people it will be too cloying. It has punishing longevity and the sillage is maximum. As it dries down you get more ambergris than leather. Try before you buy.
23rd November, 2014
I'm honestly not sure what's up with Royal Delight. From the reviews here and descriptions elsewhere, I'm very suspicious that there have been at least two very different formulations over the years, one of which is a floral leather and the other of which smells like Original Santal or Joop. My (new-ish) sample is definitely from the Joop camp.

It smells like that Christmas potpourri mix of vanilla, clove, and cinnamon, drenched with grenadine or cherry syrup. It's supported by a thin sort of funky gasoline smell and a pinch of dirty pine. As for this formulation, it's pretty much unnecessary now that we have the much better Original Santal, which does the same basic thing, but with rich sandalwood and ambrox underneath giving the who scent way more richness and character than Royal Delight.

Personally, I'd love to smell this mythical other version of Royal Delight, the one that smells like Royal English Leather with more flowers - it sounds wonderful.
22nd January, 2013

Add your review of Royal Delight

Shop for Royal Delight products online

Search Amazon for Royal Delight

Member images of Royal Delight

There are no member images of Royal Delight yet. Why not be the first?