Royal English Leather (1781)
    by Creed

Royal English Leather Fragrance Notes

Reviews of Royal English Leather

Showing 1 to 6 of 76 reviews.

zatarain's avatar
    zatarain

The only Creed I truly liked. To me it smelled like an old leather armchair recently cleaned with Lemon Pledge. The cheap, harsh industrial smell of furniture polish made a nice counterpoint to the soft, elegant old worn leather. Well-balanced and evoked a feeling of nostalgia. As I recall - my sample is long gone - it didn't have great longevity, but it was beautiful in its way. According to the Creed web site, it's currently "vaulted".

When all is said and done, I think Knize Ten has everything I liked about REL and then some, and I'm happy with Knize Ten.

19 January, 2014

charger's avatar
    charger

I was so excited to get a small decant of this because I love leather. Unfortunately this one is not for me. I find it to smell extremely feminine and dated. I don't want to say "old lady" but that is exactly what I am reminded of for several hours. As it dries it becomes a skin scent that smells kind of clean and soapy and isn't too bad, so I give it a neutral. Knize Ten is a much better leather on my skin (and thankfully is less expensive and still available)

10th February, 2013

rogalal's avatar
    rogalal

This is rather quickly becoming one of my favorite scents. Not to get too nerdy, but it's based on Methyl Ionone, that doughy bready note that's kind of suede-ish that provides a lot of the magic in Mitsouko and Tabac Blonde. It's got a fantastic but brief blast of pineapple on top and some flowers in the middle, while a subtle stanky animalic gasoline note forms a very quiet but intriguing depth. Given hours, it ends up drying down to a slightly powdery old-fashioned amber.

It's almost impossible to write about Royal English Leather without comparing it to the equally legendary and and very similar Knize Ten. Knize uses the same basic formula, but is a bit wilder because both the flowers and the animalic gasoline smell are louder, which leaves the Creed feeling more refined, if a little less exciting. That being said, I prefer Royal English Leather, as Knize Ten can go a little crazy on me and end up smelling gross on a bad day, while the Creed always seems to behave perfectly.

04 December, 2012

chrisaxp's avatar
    chrisaxp

This is the smell of success, of victory, of accomplishment, of confidence. It is a strong scent, but not in an overtly sexual way. The picture it brings to mind is that of a man surveying his world and knowing that he is the master of not only what he sees but of himself.

The initial mandarin smell is strong but only lasts long enough to remind you that there is more to life than the leather of the bottom tones. There is beauty in this world that you have mastered, and you need to take the time to stop and examine it.

This scent had a powerful impact on me and I will find a way to add it to my collection.

16 October, 2012

D.Sprad's avatar
    D.Sprad

One of the things I always hope to achieve by wearing Royal English Leather is being different from the pack in the way that I smell. It's just one of those few things I sometimes very much crave - the feeling of wearing a fragrance I know will be exceptionally rare to detect on anyone else I encounter. Creeds in general are often very much their own fragrances, but there will always be comparisons drawn. When you wear Green Irish Tweed, there is a chance you will be recognized as smelling like Cool Water, or Black XS when wearing Himalaya, and so on and so forth. Royal English Leather is distinguished by its total inability to be even vaguely recognized other than for itself. When you wear this fragrance, you wear Royal English Leather and nothing else. It is the very image of uniqueness, and provides insight into the fragrance tastes of a time long past, which is an interesting picture for me.

I think it's unfortunate that the opening, which I can only describe as a wonderful soapy, floral, semi-sweet cleanliness, occasionally draws comparison to a urinal cake. I don't detect the comparison on the skin at all, only somewhat on paper, and I think it's disturbing that smelling a pleasant clean scent in this day and age inspires the image of something used to make horribly offensive odors go away. I have never been told by anyone that they thought that Royal English Leather's beginning smells of a urinal block, except one person, again on paper rather than the skin. I cannot begin to fathom equating the beautiful beginning of this fine scent to something like that.

I'll admit the name Royal English Leather is quite underwhelming to what it suggests. The leather that exists upon application is very subtle and cleverly hides behind the cleanliness. It occasionally shows itself in the beginning, and then emerges later on. I can understand, then, why people who apply the fragrance expecting a leather-bomb find themselves disappointed. Luckily I wasn't seeking such a fragrance, and thus am able to recognize how wonderful Royal English Leather is without the strong bias of having wanted strong leather. The drydown of the scent is marvelous, as has been discussed, developing into a semi-sweet and woody leather. Through and through, I love this creation, and there is not one minute I'd prefer to smell something else when it is on my skin.

13 July, 2012

Preston H's avatar
    Preston H

Let me start off by saying that this fragrance isn't discontinued. Ok now let's get to the scent. This stuff is strong, so don't overdo this or you're gonna turn ppl off. Starts off kinda medicinal and not all that great, as a matter of fact for the first hr I don't really care for it at all. Then, after an hr the magic happens, soft leather with creeds signature sweet ambergris base and creamy sandalwood. That drydown is epic. When i wear it i think to myself, this is what ppl in the 1700s wore, kinda cool. Fall/winter scent, I wouldn't try this in the summer.

09 May, 2012