Royal English Leather (1781)
by Creed

Royal English Leather information

Year of Launch1781

HouseCreed
Parent CompanyCreed

About Royal English Leather

Royal English Leather is a masculine fragrance by Creed. The scent was launched in 1781

Royal English Leather fragrance notes

Reviews of Royal English Leather

REL has a simplistic notes breakdown which consists of citrus, leather, sandalwood, and ambergris. In the opening I got hints of citrus which comes from the mandarin orange and bergamot. This is combined with notes of leather. The fresh citrus note leaves giving way to notes of leather and sandalwood. Ambergris can be detected which makes the backbone structure of the scent. IMO, it’s a very simplistic with little complexity in the life of the scent. I get very good longevity with scent which is surprising given that it's an EDT. Overall, it's one of my few favorite leather scents.
22nd February, 2015
Genre: Leather

A rich and somewhat sweet leather of great depth and presence, yet also very civilized. My wife describes it as “clean riding tack,” and I won’t disagree. Royal English Leather doesn’t seem to develop too much on me, but why should I complain, since the accords it holds are so appealing? Deservedly a classic among leather scents, right beside Eau d’Hermes and Chanel's Cuir de Russie.
01st July, 2014
The only Creed I truly liked. To me it smelled like an old leather armchair recently cleaned with Lemon Pledge. The cheap, harsh industrial smell of furniture polish made a nice counterpoint to the soft, elegant old worn leather. Well-balanced and evoked a feeling of nostalgia. As I recall - my sample is long gone - it didn't have great longevity, but it was beautiful in its way. According to the Creed web site, it's currently "vaulted".

When all is said and done, I think Knize Ten has everything I liked about REL and then some, and I'm happy with Knize Ten.
19th January, 2014
I was so excited to get a small decant of this because I love leather. Unfortunately this one is not for me. I find it to smell extremely feminine and dated. I don't want to say "old lady" but that is exactly what I am reminded of for several hours. As it dries it becomes a skin scent that smells kind of clean and soapy and isn't too bad, so I give it a neutral. Knize Ten is a much better leather on my skin (and thankfully is less expensive and still available)
10th February, 2013
This is rather quickly becoming one of my favorite scents. Not to get too nerdy, but it's based on Methyl Ionone, that doughy bready note that's kind of suede-ish that provides a lot of the magic in Mitsouko and Tabac Blonde. It's got a fantastic but brief blast of pineapple on top and some flowers in the middle, while a subtle stanky animalic gasoline note forms a very quiet but intriguing depth. Given hours, it ends up drying down to a slightly powdery old-fashioned amber.

It's almost impossible to write about Royal English Leather without comparing it to the equally legendary and and very similar Knize Ten. Knize uses the same basic formula, but is a bit wilder because both the flowers and the animalic gasoline smell are louder, which leaves the Creed feeling more refined, if a little less exciting. That being said, I prefer Royal English Leather, as Knize Ten can go a little crazy on me and end up smelling gross on a bad day, while the Creed always seems to behave perfectly.
04th December, 2012
This is the smell of success, of victory, of accomplishment, of confidence. It is a strong scent, but not in an overtly sexual way. The picture it brings to mind is that of a man surveying his world and knowing that he is the master of not only what he sees but of himself.

The initial mandarin smell is strong but only lasts long enough to remind you that there is more to life than the leather of the bottom tones. There is beauty in this world that you have mastered, and you need to take the time to stop and examine it.

This scent had a powerful impact on me and I will find a way to add it to my collection.
16th October, 2012

Add your review of Royal English Leather

Shop for Royal English Leather products online

Search Amazon for Royal English Leather

Member images of Royal English Leather

There are no member images of Royal English Leather yet. Why not be the first?

Fragrances launched in the same year as Royal English Leather (1781)