Royall Bay Rhum (1962)
    by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

Average Rating: 3

Based on 36 ratings

Royall Bay Rhum information

Royall Bay Rhum is prepared with oil of Mycia Acris from the leaves of the genuine Bay Tree. Royall's website also mentions lots about secret thins, so who know's what's in this.

Shop for Royall Bay Rhum products online

125ml Fragrance
    118ml Fragrance
    118ml Cologne

Reviews of Royall Bay Rhum

Showing 1 to 6 of 11 reviews.

cytherian's avatar

I have the vintage version of Bay Rhum, by Royall Lyme Bermuda (not the atrocious reformulation at the hands of the Clarecastle Group that acquired it). It's really quite pleasant, a soft and welcomed light bay leaf fragrance. It is not a cologne, because it simply doesn't last. But while it's there, it's very soothing. I won't even touch the new formulation, as I've heard horrid testimonies about it.

06 January, 2014

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Very simple scent, mainly cloves and bay rhum and very little of anything else.
    It does its job, and that is the main thing, but its price makes it uncompetitive with so many other bayrhums in the market.If you ask me, I would rather have Ogallala, maybe not as good, but costs a fraction of Royall's. Even Pinaud is a better value for the money than Royall.
    Don't get me wrong, it is one of the best Bayrhums, but its price in unjustified.

10th March, 2012

bokaba's avatar

Your basic bay rum. Nothing fancy, no frills all purpose shave lotion. It's a little sweet and a little spicy for my tastes and burns like the dickens. I would go for Dominica Bay Rum if I were interested in this "manly" Hemingway type genre--it is a pure bay leaf and rum without vanilla or cinnamon.

14 November, 2009

tvlampboy's avatar

Not so clove-y as Burts Bees Bay Rum, but with better longevity. Very masculine, very bracing and (yes), tgl is spot on in his analysis: VERY medicinal.

Like Santa Maria Novella's Pot Pourri? (And I do.) If so, then you'll love this modestly priced gem. If not, avoid it as you would the bubonic plague.

16 February, 2009

Bergamot, Lavender, Lemon, Neroli, Orange, Rosemary
    Carnation, Cedar, Nulg, Orris Root, Tonka
    Amber, Musk, Oakmoss, Tonka

I’ve long been a fan of bay rum scents, Royall’s Bay Rhum has a really nice thing going on in the opening with the citruses, lavender, and bay – a complex bay rum accord that is invigorating, lively, and bright. A part of the invigorating liveliness is the clove note that maintains a respectable subservience in the opening accord. The bay note stays through the middle level of the fragrance where it joins with cedar and carnation, and, with the combination of all these spicy things, the accord becomes too clovey… the clove takes over the accord and reigns supreme: It becomes overbearing in middle notes. The fragrance seems depleted shortly after the arrival of the base. There is really not much of a drydown except for a clove dominated skin scent that lasts at most an hour on my skin. This is a nice scent – well constructed, very good notes, not the worst longevity, but I’m still looking for a traditional bay rum that doesn’t turn into cloves.

23 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 24 December, 2009)

odysseusm's avatar

Gentlemen, I have called this meeting to discuss the overlooked element in Royall Bay Rhum. That, dear colleagues, is C-L-O-V-E-S! I am not talking about a little bit of a spicy note. I am talking about a great big guy banging a huge brass gong labeled ‘cloves’ until my head hurts. I am more than a little surprised that no one has mentioned this 800-pound gorilla. One reviewer’s phrase “medicinal harshness” hints at it. Think of the infamous scene in the movie “Marathon Man” where the Laurence Oliver character (a dentist) is torturing the Dustin Hoffman character. He alternately probes an exposed tooth nerve and then applies oil of cloves, which soothes the pain. Well, here the cloves IS the pain and the torture, and it is a medicinal harshness indeed. I don’t get green bay-leaf notes, nor menthol/mint ones, nor coniferous or pine notes. Any of those would be nice. Oh, did I mention that I do get clove notes? Now, a little clove can add a charming barbershop aura to a scent, and I like some fragrances with that hint. But this is relentless, over-the-top, and a scrubber. Peace be unto those who like it, I am not among that select crew. If, as one reviewer suggests, there are worse ones than this… I shudder to contemplate such a thing.

20th August, 2008