Royall Lyme (1957)

Royall Lyme information

Year of Launch1957

HouseRoyall Lyme of Bermuda

About Royall Lyme

Like the other Royall scents, it's made to a well guarded secret recipe.

Derived from an authentic island formula favored by colonial Victorian gentlemen. This delightfully crisp all-day refresher combines the oils of the plumpest West Indian Royall limes with 77 rare essential oils to produce a zestfully unobtrusive yet undeniably lime scent. A timeless, cooling essential for after shower or shave.

Royall Lyme fragrance notes

Reviews of Royall Lyme

Nice inexpensive Lime Cologne with a standard Bay Masculine drydown. I believe my sample is Vintage, however this is short-lived with the Lime. Nostalgic and pleasant surely.
These days I get a better kick of Lime from Bugatti 1992
and certainly Jo Malone's Lime Basil Mandarin being EDT strength, offers a longer ride.
Still, a pleasant find if you can find it at the right price.
04th February, 2017
Royall Lyme Bermuda Ltd sold off its licensing to the Clarecastle Group, sometime in the early 2000's. The telltale sign of the change is on the box and bottle, where it now reads "Made in USA" instead of "Made in Bermuda".

I corresponded with someone from the Clarecastle Group about reformulations and they admitted some had to be done for Lyme and Spyce. They claim it's a nominal difference, but I see too many people say otherwise. However, Muske has not changed much (still pretty much as-is).

The original Royall Lyme is a great fragrance, but yes... it wears more like an aftershave or cologne than an eau de toilette. Longevity is light. So I imagine with the current release it's ridiculously short. Try to find the vintage. I have two bottles of it now (refreshed my original) and I'm still enjoying it. Not the best lime based fragrance, but for the price it's worth owning. Kitschy bottle too, with the pewter crown cap. :-)
10th July, 2015
I bought my first bottle of Royall Lyme in Pasadena, USA, in 1963, & so savoured it that I rationed it out to last until 2009(!). I have since used almost half of my next bottle (I won't be able to smell it on my shroud...).
Like others here, I was surprised to find that while the aroma was as splendid as before, the new lotion certainly doesn't last like the original. On investigating I discovered the very sad news that the company had been bought, & all its potions now made, under licence, in the US. This undoubtedly explains why the new version is inferior...
23rd June, 2014
dreese Show all reviews
Every comment here has it nailed pretty well; a very nice, refreshing lime on top of some musk. Disappears so quickly, I cannot endorse it as being worth the price.
21st December, 2013
Wonderful lime blast

Rich and sweet aroma of sun-ripened tropical limes. Very refreshing after a good shave -- tightens the skin nicely, leaving it very smooth. Puts me in a good mood in the morning. One of my favorite aftershaves, particularly in the warmer months. My only disappointment is its sub-par longevity. Still, a wonderful product.

Pros: Aromatic, soothing
Cons: Sub-par longevity

18th June, 2013
A wonderful refreshing lime that actually smells like limes, albeit sugared. It only lasts for 15 minutes or so, but I still love it.

A bit of Bay oil in the drydown.
08th February, 2011

Add your review of Royall Lyme

Member images of Royall Lyme

There are no member images of Royall Lyme yet. Why not be the first?