Royall Spice (1961)

Royall Spice information

Year of Launch1961

HouseRoyall Lyme of Bermuda

About Royall Spice

A manly spicy scent, made to Royall's secret recipe.

Reviews of Royall Spice

When I heard about the rash of reformulations to the Royall Lyme Bermuda fragrance line, I didn't even bother to get the new version of Royall Spyce. Reading Amazon reviews that pound it into the ground was enough to warn me.

So I managed to grab a vintage bottle. This is VERY nice, if you like cloves, bay leaves, and nutmeg together. It's a really great cool weather fragrance but could possibly be used on a cooler summer day. I'd also take this over the Bay Rhum fragrance, as it has a little more complexity and appeal. Btw, the Bay Rhum reformulation is ghastly--don't even bother.

The only real trouble with most Royall Lyme Bermuda fragrances is that they don't last. They're more like soothing lotions or aftershaves. I have frequently used Royall Lyme as an aftershave, alternating with 4711. I wouldn't use Royall Spyce like that, because it's a bit too pungent, not lending itself to another fragrance being layered over.
06th January, 2014
Nutmeg and cloves abound in this inexpensive bay rum concoction. And yes, it's very like Old Spice. (Something which, we must remember, was also spawned by bay rum to begin with.)

Expect the clove note to linger and linger, but much else here fades fast. Pity.
16th February, 2009
Dry, dry gourmand spices that on "sweet" skin like mine end up smelling like I rubbed pumpkin pie spices all over myself. :) I can see this smelling wonderful on someone who brings out marine or bitter notes in their wearings. Nice, especially for the price, just not for me.
11th January, 2009
bokaba Show all reviews
Slightly better than the new formulation of Old Spice--slightly better.
10th January, 2008 (last edited: 04th August, 2009)
One of the most refreshing summer, Caribbean, fragrances ever made. Unlike any other lime.
29th September, 2006
This is a fine fragrance, provided one doesn't apply too much. Needs to be misted very lightly; then it's terrific. Lovely quality to it.
27th December, 2005

Add your review of Royall Spice

Shop for Royall Spice products online

Search Amazon for Royall Spice

Member images of Royall Spice

There are no member images of Royall Spice yet. Why not be the first?

Fragrances launched in the same year as Royall Spice (1961)