Royall Spice (1961)
    by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 24 ratings

Royall Spice information

A manly spicy scent, made to Royall's secret recipe.

Reviews of Royall Spice

Showing 1 to 6 of 8 reviews.

cytherian's avatar

When I heard about the rash of reformulations to the Royall Lyme Bermuda fragrance line, I didn't even bother to get the new version of Royall Spyce. Reading Amazon reviews that pound it into the ground was enough to warn me.

So I managed to grab a vintage bottle. This is VERY nice, if you like cloves, bay leaves, and nutmeg together. It's a really great cool weather fragrance but could possibly be used on a cooler summer day. I'd also take this over the Bay Rhum fragrance, as it has a little more complexity and appeal. Btw, the Bay Rhum reformulation is ghastly--don't even bother.

The only real trouble with most Royall Lyme Bermuda fragrances is that they don't last. They're more like soothing lotions or aftershaves. I have frequently used Royall Lyme as an aftershave, alternating with 4711. I wouldn't use Royall Spyce like that, because it's a bit too pungent, not lending itself to another fragrance being layered over.

06 January, 2014

tvlampboy's avatar

Nutmeg and cloves abound in this inexpensive bay rum concoction. And yes, it's very like Old Spice. (Something which, we must remember, was also spawned by bay rum to begin with.)

Expect the clove note to linger and linger, but much else here fades fast. Pity.

16 February, 2009

ComDiva's avatar

Dry, dry gourmand spices that on "sweet" skin like mine end up smelling like I rubbed pumpkin pie spices all over myself. :) I can see this smelling wonderful on someone who brings out marine or bitter notes in their wearings. Nice, especially for the price, just not for me.

11th January, 2009

bokaba's avatar

Slightly better than the new formulation of Old Spice--slightly better.

10th January, 2008 (Last Edited: 04 August, 2009)

wjacobson's avatar

One of the most refreshing summer, Caribbean, fragrances ever made. Unlike any other lime.

29 September, 2006

zenpiper's avatar

This is a fine fragrance, provided one doesn't apply too much. Needs to be misted very lightly; then it's terrific. Lovely quality to it.

27 December, 2005