Sables (1985)

HouseAnnick Goutal
Parent CompanyAmore Pacific
Parent Company at launchAnnick Goutal

About Sables

Sables is a masculine fragrance by Annick Goutal. The scent was launched in 1985

Reviews of Sables

I bought it for my husband having never sniffed it on the basis of it being the fragrance that Annick Goutal created for her husband. Grand Amour is the other side of the coin, her response to the bouquets of flowers that said husband bought for her each week of their married life. Back to Sables; I was intrigued by Victoria Frolova's love of AG masculines and indeed I have worn the unisex Eau du Sud, Nuit Etoilee and Myrrhe Ardente for years. Sables has no doubt been reformulated and I don't know if it was more pungent back in the day, have to assume so, as there are many references to it's strength and longevity, but the dry down of Sables is really very femme and I have stolen Sables back to my side of the dresser. As far as I know Annick Goutal is still operated by Camille Goutal with Isobel Doyen as perfumer, under the ownership of Amore Pacific. Annick's story is bittersweet, rather like Sables itself, a heart wrenching tale for any perfumista and of course I fell under its spell. Join me.
09th July, 2016
A very high end,classy and elegant Masala, Fenugreek heavy. Hugely creative and avant-garde juice in the mid 80's. The most flamboyant and creative Chef's in our French Hotel bathed in it. Goutal was ahead of the times and we all learned how to roll the name in conversation. Always in a way most Paris(ian)
Trouble is, that I was never flamboyant and only mildly creative.
My taste for Curries has always been Cumin and Cinnamon heavy, Fenugreek light.
In the 80's I could'nt understand why anybody would really want to perfume themselves in this way.
Recent tasting has reinforced that view.
Always be a peasant I guess!
19th March, 2016 (last edited: 22nd June, 2016)
Oriental Experiment

Take a red herbal liqueur of cherry, dried apricot and salted plum.
Mix with burnt sugar and spice.
Pour onto hot dry sand.

Observe that while the liqueur drains away, the massive blocks of Helichysum and peppery amber & sandal do not change much.

Find Sables below Eau du Sud, Voyageur and Fleurs de Sel on the Perfume Periodic Table, in the column marked Salt.

28th January, 2016
well..being indian ...we use fenugreek in most cooking and its a common ingredient ..but I was really not prepared for it in a scent ..I mean I couldn't fathom the first blast initially and couldn't relate it to fenugreek ...but then read some reviews above and bingo ...! holy moly this IS fenugreek all the way ..very heavy fenugreek at that not for public but personal wearing --strictly ..unless you want to be known as the the guy who plays with herbs a bad way ! ...don't know whats the inspiration for it as fenugreek is not listed as one of the ingredients but that's what its all about ...the immortelle ...flower maybe the reason for it ...but its a woody / herby dominant fenugreek note ..and gives a feeling that you have come out the kitchen of a indian cooking house ...very familiar to me...
pros : very niche & different
cons : strictly for private wearing / or in the kitchen...
17th August, 2015
Blind buy. Decent tea scent but nothing work owning.
23rd November, 2014
I love cooking with fenugreek and have for years.

I don't like smelling like it, unless I'm working in the kitchen and find it a badge of pride. Everyone asks what are you wearing and I just tell them it must be the fenugreek I cooked with. Since most people are unfamiliar with this burnt sugar, bacon scent, they are intrigued. However, wearing this out in public is another story.

As Barbara Herman notes, there is a hint of celery, bacon, ham, maple syrup, cinnamon etc. in both fenugreek and immortelle, the flower that is centered in this scent.

To wear it, one is redolent of it, for it is not subtle and lasts for days. More a scent for self-indulgence than one for wearing around others.

Totally original but with limited appeal. Cannot begrudge it its thumbs up, though, as it is a revelation for those unfamiliar with cooking with fenugreek.
30th July, 2014

Add your review of Sables

Shop for Sables products online

Shop for Sables at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Sables