Sables (1985)
    by Annick Goutal

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 245 ratings

Sables Fragrance notes

Everlasting Flower, Cinnamon, Mysore Sandalwood, Indonesian Pepper, Smoked Tea, Amber

Sables information

Sables is a men's fragrance by Annick Goutal. The scent was launched in 1985

Reviews of Sables

Showing 1 to 6 of 54 reviews.

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Oriental

Whether you enjoy Sables will depend entirely upon how much you like immortelle. This is because 1) immortelle is a Godzilla note that tends to trample any accord it’s used with, and 2) Sables screams like Jamie Lee Curtis in Halloween. (In case you haven’t experienced it, immortelle smells like gallons of maple syrup and a side of bacon.)

Try before you buy.

02 July, 2014

the reaper's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

When I tried Sables for the first time I didn't like it. Perhaps it was because we were in Paris, it was October and the wearher was a mixture of rain, cold and clouds. But I took a vial with me back home. Then one day I decidd it ti give it a full try and WOW!!! What a perfect a beautiful man fragrance. It's strong but not cloying. It stayed with me for three days, not lying, and the longevity and projection at third day were the same as first day. I so much regret not buying it but this year I'll return to Paris and will pack me a five bottled stock. Oh yes sir.

22 December, 2012 (Last Edited: 03 March, 2014)

teardrop's avatar

England England

The opening smells to me like dried flowers or straw, lightly spicy, dry, bitter & almost acrid. Then, after twenty minutes or so, l totally get the maple syrup note, & thankfully none of the curry vibe that gets mentioned a lot. ln the heart, this fragrance almost veers too sweet, but never quite crosses the line, & deep in the drydown l get faint whiffs of tea, pepper & wood. Five hours in it's still going, close to the skin.
    This strikes me as a nicely comforting autumn scent, warming & drying on a gloomy, damp day. l also think it is easily unisex. lt is the fragrance that helped me to understand the immortelle note, & l was pleasantly surprised to find that l like it. l did, however, make the mistake once of wearing it to work at the hospital, & in that environment it just smelled wrong, like an old, melted toffee found down the back of a sofa! My bf also hates it on me, so l'll stick to wearing it for cosy evenings at home by myself!

15 December, 2012

pianist75's avatar

very disappointed...ibought this blind , reading the reviews here but man what a let down:(( ,

23 August, 2012

gimmegreen's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

There is this lovely family-run perfume shop where I go and buy giddy florals and ransack samples. The mama of the shop must look at me and think, ‘What a waste!’, because she inevitably gives me a few big bold bruisers to sample as well. Sables is one of them.
    Its audacity is about the only positive I can think of.
    Certain smells are shaped by culture. In India, where I grew up, we eat fenugreek greens – they’re bitter and pungent and delicious. Afterwards, when you sweat, it smells like Sables. I have yet to find an Indian who will claim to love the pungent scent of fenugreek sweat. I suppose the comparison is with asparagus-influenced urine – interesting, but you wouldn’t rush to douse yourself with it.
    The first few seconds of Sables promises much more – a ravishing mix of herbals lifting the sweaty immortelle; but after that it’s all the things people say: sugar, bacon, maple syrup, fenugreek. To which I’d add a salty edge (I suppose the bacon covers that). The pepper in the mix is a further annoyance and the drydown is just a stale version of the heart. Its rich and piercing spiciness seems to have been an object lesson to Serge Lutens.
    Not for me. Give me a different version of audacious.

20th August, 2012

eyefeelgood's avatar

If manna fell from heaven to feed the hungry wandering the desert, it must have had the flavor of Sables. If the oatmeal with brown sugar I ate for breakfast as a kid were pounded into a hearty bread dough with toasted walnuts, a few crushed butterscotch candies and a splash of root beer, and that melange baked under an open flame to crusty perfection, it would radiate Sables.

Honestly, thus far in my life the two aromas that most moved me spiritually were suntan lotion on baked girls' skin and hot wax being applied to ski bases. OK, not sophisticated, but I'm comfortable being honest. As for scents I wore, I hadn't experienced anything defining. I'd tried many; I do enjoy smelling, I'm just not often deeply stirred.

Then I wandered into that little shop on Rue Gaston Sapporta. Sables! Is this time travel? I think Sables is triggering memories from long ago, i.e., from a previous life. Seriously. This IS land flowing with milk and honey. The ever-so-subtle application of Sables to my sweat zones and pulse points is magic.

Je vous remercie bien, Madame Goutal.

04 May, 2012

Add your review of Sables

Search for on eBay United States

ANNICK GOUTAL SABLES MEN EAU DE TOILETTE SPRAY 100 ML / 3.4 OZ. NIB
    • Time Left: 20 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    2 x Sables for Men by Annick Goutal Vial Mini Sample .06 fl.oz. New !!
    • Time Left: 21 days