Sables (1985)

HouseAnnick Goutal
Parent CompanyStarwood Capital Group > Taittinger > Louvre Groupe
Parent Company at launchAnnick Goutal

About Sables

Sables is a masculine fragrance by Annick Goutal. The scent was launched in 1985

Reviews of Sables

Oriental Experiment

Take a red herbal liqueur of cherry, dried apricot and salted plum.
Mix with burnt sugar and spice.
Pour onto hot dry sand.

Observe that while the liqueur drains away, the massive blocks of Helichysum and peppery amber & sandal do not change much.

Find Sables below Eau du Sud, Voyageur and Fleurs de Sel on the Perfume Periodic Table, in the column marked Salt.

****
28th January, 2016
well..being indian ...we use fenugreek in most cooking and its a common ingredient ..but I was really not prepared for it in a scent ..I mean I couldn't fathom the first blast initially and couldn't relate it to fenugreek ...but then read some reviews above and bingo ...! holy moly this IS fenugreek all the way ..very heavy fenugreek at that ...so not for public but personal wearing --strictly ..unless you want to be known as the the guy who plays with herbs ..in a bad way ! ...don't know whats the inspiration for it as fenugreek is not listed as one of the ingredients but that's what its all about ...the immortelle ...flower maybe the reason for it ...but its a woody / herby dominant fenugreek note ..and gives a feeling that you have come out the kitchen of a indian cooking house ...very familiar to me...
pros : very niche & different
cons : strictly for private wearing / or in the kitchen...
17th August, 2015
Blind buy. Decent tea scent but nothing work owning.
23rd November, 2014
I love cooking with fenugreek and have for years.

I don't like smelling like it, unless I'm working in the kitchen and find it a badge of pride. Everyone asks what are you wearing and I just tell them it must be the fenugreek I cooked with. Since most people are unfamiliar with this burnt sugar, bacon scent, they are intrigued. However, wearing this out in public is another story.

As Barbara Herman notes, there is a hint of celery, bacon, ham, maple syrup, cinnamon etc. in both fenugreek and immortelle, the flower that is centered in this scent.

To wear it, one is redolent of it, for it is not subtle and lasts for days. More a scent for self-indulgence than one for wearing around others.

Totally original but with limited appeal. Cannot begrudge it its thumbs up, though, as it is a revelation for those unfamiliar with cooking with fenugreek.
30th July, 2014
Genre: Oriental

Whether you enjoy Sables will depend entirely upon how much you like immortelle. This is because 1) immortelle is a Godzilla note that tends to trample any accord it’s used with, and 2) Sables screams like Jamie Lee Curtis in Halloween. (In case you haven’t experienced it, immortelle smells like gallons of maple syrup and a side of bacon.)

Try before you buy.
02nd July, 2014
When I tried Sables for the first time I didn't like it. Perhaps it was because we were in Paris, it was October and the weather was a mixture of rain, cold and clouds. But I took a vial with me back home. Then one day I decided to give it a full try and WOW!!! What a perfect a beautiful man fragrance. It's strong but not cloying. It stayed with me for three days and longevity and projection at third day were the same as first day. I so much regret not buying it.

Edit May 2015:
I had a sample which I got from Champs Elysees Annick Goutal store. It smelled just wonderful and lasted 3 days on my skin. I didn't buy it. Instead I bought Nuit Etoileé. But then I regret not buying it so I went on and bought the new version (packaging) in USA. This new version is very WATERED DOWN. I have had to spray 10 times to smell something on my skin for a little time. It resembles Ambre Sultan but even weaker. I regret buying it. It definately has been reformulated.

By the way, am I the only one who finds this fragrance similar to Lagerfeld Classic?
22nd December, 2012 (last edited: 30th May, 2015)

Add your review of Sables

Shop for Sables products online

Shop for Sables at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Sables