Sables (1985)

HouseAnnick Goutal
Parent CompanyAmore Pacific
Parent Company at launchAnnick Goutal

About Sables

Sables is a masculine fragrance by Annick Goutal. The scent was launched in 1985

Reviews of Sables

Sables doesn't evolve much on me. I get a smoky and warm mixture of immortelle, amber, cinnamon and sandalwood. Though in the end I decided that Sables is not what I would personally wear, I'm very impressed throughout the wearing. It has a sweet aspect but at the same time it's very masculine to my nose. I don't know why but the image evoked by Sables in my head is muscles and a mature man, lol. The longevity is around 10 hours and the sillage is good, one spray and I got a whiff or another frequently. Definitely a wonderful fragrance to at least give a try.
03rd January, 2019
Very 'French' mossy, tobacco-y mens fragrance with helichyrsum (everlasting) herb. It has an intriguing "burnt" or caramelised aspect, also recalling the smoothness of a scotch whisky (Islay single malt), and tonka bean absolute. I could imagine this coming from Robertet, the most famous of the Grasse supply houses. One of their long forgotten mens fragrances from the 1960's which they called "Vetuclub" (I don't know under what name it was ever marketed) had this same 'burnt sugar' note, which I thought was most peculiar at the time. Quite an evocative scent for me.
28th December, 2018
Immortelle (maple syrup) upon an amber base with mild spices. The immortelle is dominant most of the time but it's paired with a nice dry tea smell. The combination is interesting and I like the smell, but I'm not too keen on smelling like this too often, as it becomes too much after a while.
19th September, 2018
I love the immortelle in 1740 Marquis de Sade and Eau Noire. However, I just couldn't get past the immortelle-honey(/maple syrup?) accord that is the dominant feature of Sables. Thick as a block, overly sweet, lacking clarity, and simply quite underwhelming for me on the Guy Robert test.

I find this to be a reasonably potent scent, a whole lot better than most other Goutals that are too fleeting, and it is perhaps on par with Ambre Fétiche. Sables is definitely interesting, quirky - and therefore a must try for almost anyone (unless one categorically avoids either immortelle or sweet perfumes).

A comment on the sweetness: while it is saccharine, it is rather dry and 'grown-up', and not unpalatably vulgar like calorie-laden sophomoric modern sugars.

2.5/5
12th September, 2017
Sables is French for sands, and this does promote an association with a sand-like beige color. The listed note of everlasting flower (immortelle) is prominent. Other than that, it's savory sweet, nicely warm and agreeable - maybe with a hint of the listed tea note.
11th September, 2017
After spraying it, Sables made me think of a spicy and bitter cocktail I had with Elderflower. Very boozy. I thought it had a very feminine side, and could surely be worn by both males and females. A bit less in the dry down.

I can't compare it to anything else. It's very warm, with lots of spices, woods and amber.

Try it !
23rd May, 2017

Add your review of Sables

Shop for Sables products online

Shop for Sables at online perfumeries

Annick Goutal Sable For Men Cologne 3.4 oz ~ 100 ml EDT Spray

SABLES by Annick Goutal 5ML UNISEX PERFUME SAMPLE

End Date: Tuesday Feb-12-2019 14:14:52 PST
Buy It Now for only: $14.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

SABLES by ANNICK GOUTAL for MEN 3.3/3.4 oz (100 ml) Eau de Toilette Spray Sealed

End Date: Wednesday Feb-13-2019 0:16:43 PST