Safari for Men (1992)

Year of Launch1992

HouseRalph Lauren
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > Prestige & Collections

About Safari for Men

A classic fresh fragrance. The male counterpart to the original Safari Perfume. The packaging represents the finer things in life with a faux croc-skin leather on the box and a decanter type bottle, embossed with a Ralph Lauren crest.

Safari for Men fragrance notes

Reviews of Safari for Men

I have owned Safari since it first came out in the early 90's. I used to think it was a really strong scent, (which it is initially) and I was always a bit shy about where I'd wear it. However, two things have always kept me going back to it.

First, I always liked the woody leather drydown it gives me, which seems to last on my skin beyond 8 hrs. Very unusual for me.

Second, Safari is a fragrance that I get complimented on quite frequently. Now that Safari's past it's prime, no one seems to ever recognize it and I am always asked what I'm wearing.

Additionally, Safari's timeless bottle looks great on my atop my dresser.
16th March, 2015
I was expecting so much more from Safari. It to me is a reasonably non-descript warmish fougere, with little character. I bought a bottle for a friend who owned it previously and in his opinion it is significantly weaker than it was in the 90's. I have any number of fragances that are superior and given the price, it is not worth the money (luckily I paid less than $50 Au - $42 US for the 4.2 Oz). It has been likened to YSL Jazz by some people, but Jazz is in every way a superior scent. For a real Man's fragrance I would opt for Montana parfum d'homme, Jazz or any number of others.
21st December, 2014 (last edited: 20th December, 2014)
Plasticky, synthetic cologny stuff.
23rd November, 2014
Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren is an unexpectedly good fresh fougère with a bold, slightly clumsy (but quickly-to-evolve-better) opening played on green and balsamic tones, with notes of mint and dry aromatic herbs, a refreshing and juicy accord of citrus notes, a sweet, rich and slightly creamy sandalwood note “reinforced” by a classic, discreet and solid fougère structure: lavender, leather, carnation, rose, oak moss. A bunch of spices provide a nice, exotic dynamism, well interacting with leather and mossy notes. Basically a respectably conventional fougère just fresher and spicier than others, quite good indeed, with an enjoyable sort of effortless, unpretentious and relaxed sense of elegance. A warm, radiant, almost “holiday” version of more austere and dark Mittel-European fougères like Tsar (to which Safari resembles quite much). The drydown is even better than the first stages: a soft, pleasant yet dark and dusty leather-mossy accord with balsamic, sweet and spicy notes on top and a subtle ambery vibe, cozy and graceful like a warm summer evening. Easy-going but refined, a sunset in a bottle. Not a masterpiece, but well made for sure, and still totally wearable and enjoyable today as well.

05th November, 2014
Is there a 2 thumbs up rating? When a "blue aquatic" walks into the room, Safari turns, squints and folds its arms as the bloody varmint skulks back to whilst it came from! Safari is not a "men's fragrance" it is a fragrance for MEN, period. Toss your razor and use the splash bottle, because you are not afraid to over apply this juice.
23rd July, 2014
My favourite fragrance. It is very (possibly even aggressively) masculine.

Opens with a eucalyptus hit which instantly dies down to a spicy asafoetida-like earthiness. An hour or so later becomes a leathery woody sent which lasts for the rest of the day. Safari does remind me of well...being on safari it has a warm earth-like grassland quality.

I agree with others that the sent is for more mature men but for me (aged 23) the latest aquatic/vanilla/synthetic/feminine scents which dominate the UK market don't suit me in the slightest but Safari and the like do. I always get compliments with this fragrance.

If you want to smell like a man and can pull off being your own man then buy this. Long may safari stay in production
03rd March, 2014

Add your review of Safari for Men

Shop for Safari for Men products online

Shop for Safari for Men at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Safari for Men

Member images of Safari for Men

There are no member images of Safari for Men yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Safari for Men