Safari for Men (1992)

Year of Launch1992

HouseRalph Lauren
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > Prestige & Collections

About Safari for Men

A classic fresh fragrance. The male counterpart to the original Safari Perfume. The packaging represents the finer things in life with a faux croc-skin leather on the box and a decanter type bottle, embossed with a Ralph Lauren crest.

Safari for Men fragrance notes

Reviews of Safari for Men

To be very direct about Safari for Men my thumb is waving between thumbs up and neutral on this scent by Ralph Lauren.In my opinion if you like Polo Original then Safari for Men is a wonderful contribution to a mature man's fragrance.It's non-sweet and very sophisticated...

This cologne is very heavy of eucalyptus and leather.Over time it opens up a little more revealing some clean citrus quality and a light tinge of spice and wood.A bit of lavender adds to this giving a soapy quality...but not shaping the cologne into a soapy fragrance as a whole.But overall it's just a really slick and clean scent that's wonderfully masculine.Something tells me when Safari was created they were working on a upscale competitor to English Leather and toiled day and night to find a note to shape it drastically without sacrificing it's style.Then someone caught a hint of someone wearing Proraso aftershave and found eucalyptus pairs nicely with the blend.

Why this cologne sits on the branch of neutral for me is longevity.4 hours later it's gone like a fart in the wind.Can't smell this cologne on myself after that timeframe...not even a hint.It's awful that a $60+ cologne that smells so good dies out as quickly as a $10 bottle of Coty Musk for Men.Back when Safari first came out I got 6 hours from it,so the strength of the vintage is exaggerated in my opinion because this wasn't a powerhouse scent.It always has been a low projection scent that someone can notice if they are right beside you.For it's cost though Safari should hang on at least 8-12 hours at it's cost...no excuse.
25th March, 2017
Got a 11ml sample of cosmair splash in australia recently wow now i get it why some old stuff is so great I get this beautiful soapy smell for hours and hours love it...
15th March, 2017
Crisp, clean scent from Ralph Lauren...still wonderful after all these years!

Such a wonderful interplay of spiciness and woods, Safari is timeless in its character, suited more for older wearers.

And what a nice bottle design! ;->
28th December, 2016
Ralph Lauren Safari for me represents a classic masculine fragrance, an archetypical "fresh spicy" fougere that has above average projection and longevity for an EDT. It doesn't resemble most of the Polo line (though I don't claim to be an authority on these) and its name alone rightfully suggests antiquity and primitiveness as it takes me back to a time when this is what I what expected middle-aged and older men to wear. I'm at a loss for many of the notes---some are obvious, like lavender, rose, cardamom---but Safari is such a harmonious blend that it's hard to encapsulate in a note breakdown. It's very versatile--good for cold and warm weather, day and night.

That I still have the same 60ml bottle from the 1990s shows how sparingly I've used Safari in the last 15+ years, instead opting for the newer, fresher options that have since popped up, but that I'm reaching for it again indicates that I've come around to the idea that Safari is symbolic of something meaningful, a subtle masculinity that is more difficult to embody in a fruity aquatic, even if the fruity aquatic is more applicable in more occasions.

Safari is both heavy and fresh to the point that it can, like Chanel Pour Monsieur, be one of only a few bottles that you own. Tom Ford for Men in the past decade did what Safari did in the 90s---updated the classic men's scent. Another recommendation if you like Safari.

8 out of 10
10th September, 2015 (last edited: 06th February, 2016)
Oviatt Show all reviews
I wore this a lot when it first came out—I was a fan of Polo, Polo Crest and Monogram, so it was a natural that I should take this one up. I like the ascerbic opening with its eucalyptus and bergamot; from there, it goes straight to dry spices, leathery patchouli and manly sweat. No sweetness anywhere and in fact it reminds me quite a bit of a drier, medicinal Givenchy Gentleman, in its vintage form.
Safari is as arid, spicy and masculine as a khaki bush jacket worn all day in the field, back in camp with a pink gin sundowner in its hand. It is hard and handsome, with a loaded bolt action rifle in hand and a day’s stubble on its sunburned face.
In his ongoing attempt to reimagine—in his own image—the last days of the British Empire, Ralph Lauren has created a harshly masculine, modern scent, seen through a sepia-toned lens, with all the retro trappings of the Raj. This recreation may not truly be a pukka sahib, but is still someone to be reckoned with.
01st July, 2015
I have owned Safari since it first came out in the early 90's. I used to think it was a really strong scent, (which it is initially) and I was always a bit shy about where I'd wear it. However, two things have always kept me going back to it.

First, I always liked the woody leather drydown it gives me, which seems to last on my skin beyond 8 hrs. Very unusual for me.

Second, Safari is a fragrance that I get complimented on quite frequently. Now that Safari's past it's prime, no one seems to ever recognize it and I am always asked what I'm wearing.

Additionally, Safari's timeless bottle looks great on my atop my dresser.
16th March, 2015

Add your review of Safari for Men

Shop for Safari for Men products online

Shop for Safari for Men at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Safari for Men

Member images of Safari for Men

There are no member images of Safari for Men yet. Why not be the first?