Salvador Dali pour Homme (1987)
by Salvador Dali

SupplierGivaudan
Parent CompanyCofinluxe
Parent Company at launchCofci

About Salvador Dali pour Homme

Salvador Dali pour Homme is a masculine fragrance by Salvador Dali. The scent was launched in 1987 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Thierry Wasser

Salvador Dali pour Homme fragrance notes

Reviews of Salvador Dali pour Homme

This forms a strong accord, with complexity spilling out from the edges. Something prominent in the main accord is off for my tastes, but it has character.
04th May, 2016
I think this is great, but I also think you need to be in the right mood for this one. It's dark, muddy and heavy, like the dirty green of the bottle it comes in, so if you're in a bright, sparkly "all's well with the world" kind of mood, I would reach for something else.
It has an overall scent that is kind of unwholesome, earthy and ancient, yet every now and again you get single notes briefly appearing, like a series of images in a bizarre dream : patchouli, oakmoss, smoke, burning rubber, lavender, geranium, spices and a sort of sweet, chocolate like smell. It's also darkly sexual. If I had to describe it in an image, it would be a dark, brooding shape, watching lustfully from the shadows of an ancient cave, damp and hot, dimly lit by flickering, smoking torches.
For me it's not an everyday perfume, and it's not for the faint hearted, but I think it's great.
I'm surprised to see the ratings on sillage and longevity, because on me it's only moderate for both of these.
February 2016
23rd February, 2016
One of those rare fragrances I knew I'd like even before I sprayed it, simply taking the cap off and catching a whiff of this beast brought a smile to my face. On initial spray, it reminds me somewhat of the original Givenchy Gentleman (before it was totally fucked up), but with much stronger animalics and a dark, earthy patchouli. Florals (mostly lavender) and herbs come into the mix next, reminding me faintly of Zino by Davidoff, but this one is not as civilized as that. A dark, brooding gem of a scent which eventually turns into a dirty musky-leather.

Longevity is enormous (I could still smell it on my skin the next day), so a single spray or two should suffice. Vintage version as tested and preferred.

Highly recommended for those who enjoy these type of scents.
20th November, 2015
As far as I know, Salvador Dali re-launched this gem. When - I don't know.I know they did. So you can't call it discontinued anymore.

Good, I mean great for me. This is pure evil in a bottle... But in a good way! I mean - when I wear it, I feel like I'm in the middle of the dark, wet, huge forest and evil sourrounds me...

Longevity and sillage - outstanding.

Masterpiece of a fragrance. Enough said.

I wish I lived in the 80's and could have used all those powerhouses at their greatest times...
18th October, 2015
A kiss or a whisper...

This is a fragrance foreseen in nightmares.
I have a suspicion that this was what Colonel Walter E. Kurtz in Apocalypse Now was talking about when quoting "The horror! The horror!" from Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness".
In a recently discovered letter from Howard Philips Lovecraft to Clark Ashton Smith, in which Lovecraft describes one of his nightmares, the following passage was surely portending the birth of an anomaly like Salvador Dali pour Homme, some 50 years before its coming.

"...I dreamt of a dark pond amidst a desolated garden with long dead rose bushes. Its green, stagnant water was shimmering under an alien moon, emanating an unbearable foreboding of great evil. I was standing mesmerised in front of it, staring at its unfathomable depths, and completely unable to avert my eyes. And then I heard a cacophonous, orgiastic commotion of fifes coming from the ominous line of trees in the distance. And like answering to a call, the water begun to stir, like something unimaginably dreadful was about to emerge any moment. And along with the tumultuousness of the water, there came the smell...Oh dear God, the smell...
With a terrifying feeling that something was standing right behind me, I woke up drenched in sweat, and shaking. The last thing I remember from my dream was a fleeting glimpse of a pair of pitch black lips over my shoulder, whispering "I shall find you..." And although I'm sure that it was my imagination playing tricks on me, I'd swear that for what felt like an eternity, although it was only a few seconds, the smell seemed to have followed me, filling my bedroom.
God have mercy on us all, should this foulest of smells ever finds its way from the world of dreams to the world of the living."

If one and only one creation of every art was to be displayed in a gallery dedicated to art's finest examples, then it should be no other than Salvador Dali pour Homme representing perfumery. I guess it would be redundant to say anything about its bottle, other than it's the most bizarre and surrealistic vessel ever used to contain a fragrance. But since we're talking about Señor Dali, I also guess that this shouldn't come as surprise. I'll just add that this is not a bottle that anyone would like to sleep in the same room with. Perhaps Henry S. Whitehead's short story "The Lips" could give a good reason why. But if the bottle is bizzare one time, what's inside it simply doesn't have anything analogous in the known universe. I simply can't describe how it smells like, because I don't know what I'm smelling. But whatever it is, it is something on a titanic scale. Words like notes, sillage and longevity have absolutely no meaning here. Maybe this is the reason why it took Thierry Wasser 13 years to create another fragrance. Maybe he was someplace hiding, terrified after he realised what he had unleashed upon the world. For this is one of the very few scents, of which when I trace a whiff of them in the air, I wouldn't want to meet the one wearing it. I could swear that the air around me becomes thicker every time I dare to spray a single shot on me. And judging by their body language, I could also swear that it changes people's behaviour towards me when I'm wearing it. It's like they sense an undercurrent of hostility coming in spindrifts. And it makes an otherwise friendly smile looking beguiling in the light of day, and dangerous after dark. It is a scent that defies the senses and all the usual ways of perceiving a scent, and speaks directly to the soul. Or threatens to steal it...
16th July, 2015
I find the drydown excessively cloying... I can't with it, need a special day to wear it. If this were more on the bitter side, i would give it 9/10 stars. But cause of the sweetness, i give it 7,5. If you are a perfumista, is a must!
26th March, 2015