Sandalwood (original) (1970)
    by Crabtree & Evelyn

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 37 ratings

Sandalwood (original) information

Sandalwood (original) is a men's fragrance by Crabtree & Evelyn. The scent was launched in 1970

Reviews of Sandalwood (original)

Showing 1 to 6 of 10 reviews.
    positive 9 Positive Reviewsneutral1 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

green_lobsters's avatar

I agree with all the (much better) reviewers here. I feel privileged to own a 'true' sandalwood made simply with fantastic ingredients.
    There is something deceptively simple about this smell, it does seem to sit in the background of your senses. I have been told that the sandalwood signature smell sits on the borders of olfactory perception, meaning that some people smell it consistently well, some people smell it fleetingly and some don't smell it at all. I think I must be somewhere in the middle as, whilst wearing, I seem to only notice it occasionally.
    That said what I do smell is a fantastic milky (yoghurty even) woody freshened with a subtle citrus. I have to take everyone elses word for it that it truly smells of Mysore sandalwood as there is no way I am going to contribute to it's destruction.
    Australia, you're our only hope!

21st March, 2014

Jack Hunter's avatar

I managed to get hold of a full bottle of this long discontinued treasure from 1983 and the sandalwood in this is amazing.

The scent is dominated by Ylang Ylang and creamy buttery mysore sandalwood goodness. On first application the fragrance is very fresh and floral with a buttery sandalwood note underneath. As the hours pass the mysore santal accord becomes more dominate though you can still pick up the Ylang Ylang for the duration.

I have to say this is the most beautiful natural smelling sandalwood I have smelled in a fragrance. It is creamy, buttery, rich with depth but also mellow in a meditative way. I have tried loads of Sandalwood scents from Tam Dao to Santal Noble and they all pale in comparison to the glorious sandalwood found in this.

I got several hours longevity with this scent and the projection was about average though I could still smell the lovely santal woodiness on my clothes long after.

A treasure that has been discontinued long ago due to the scarcity and expense of Mysore Sandalwood. If you ever find this on ebay going cheaply then grab it as it is a gem in the world of fragrances!

11th May, 2013

awara-hoon's avatar

Although this is,strictly speaking, a male scent,I did used to wear it,occasionally.To be honest,with mixed success,it is quite 'uplifting" and for me,a vaguely comforting scent,I would wear it for nostalgic reasons,perhaps,but it did seem a tiny bit "dry" somehow,I can almost agree with the reviewer who said it was "weak",I can see what he meant by that,but overall,it is a pleasant and not remotely offensive or overpowering scent,which it can be, I would not dislike this on anyone else.

28 October, 2012

PandorasPal's avatar

This was the first sandalwood I ever bought (imprint here). Not another like it (including C&E's Sandalwood Eau de Toilette). Light, fresh, like a cool breeze. But the store closed (before the Internet) and couldn't find it locally. Went on to heavier sandalwoods, but couldn't forget this one.
    Internet opened ... found something similar (C&E's Sandalwood EDT). It was close, but not the same. If C&E is making the original again, I'll buy it.

16 May, 2009

's avatar

I used to buy this to scent my home, especially my bath. I recall many people commenting, upon entering my space, about the lovely smell of my home. I always attributed it to this scent. Funny, I never wore it but in retrospect, I see that I valued it greatly nonetheless. As I write this, I really miss this one. Maybe I will find some.

17 December, 2008

Gimpee's avatar

A big clean and fresh woody smell. Ideal for layering or on its own for a unique understated smell. Decent longevity, but not to overpowering. The drydown remained quite fresh and sharp, with the sandalwood in the back as an everpresent. It is a classic gentlemans frag.

11th September, 2008

Add your review of Sandalwood (original)