parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Sequoia (2001)
    by Comme des Garçons

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Sequoia Fragrance notes

Red Rum, Kara-Karoundé, Agarwood, Mahogany, Redwood

Reviews of parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Sequoia

Showing 1 to 6 of 37 reviews.

Tony T's avatar
    Tony T

Heavenly Bliss

I love it. It has the M7 thing going on but amped up. very boozy/woody scent.Agarwood but not just agarwood (Chinese) gives it a real kicker. also some mahogany added for a fuller,longer lasting scent. Oud is not mentioned but I believe it's in here.. Too bad I only have a decant.. better for cooler weather ..

Pros: One of a kind
    Cons: strange"

27 August, 2013

Redbeard's avatar
    Redbeard

I'm getting a lot of booze in the top notes of this one, like a straight, peaty scotch just for a minute or two. Soon the actual notes arrive, and initially it's smooth, sweet wood. Not the usual woods + vanilla masculine oriental type, and not the CdG harsh, dry woods with a blast of smoke, but somewhere nicely in the middle. There's just enough resinous sap to remind you of a real conifer tree, but it's not like some scents where a bully at summer camp shoves your face into the side of a pine tree. Unless I'm fatigued from too much reviewing, there's surprisingly little here. It's not that strong, but it doesn't need to be because it's just a big tree, not a stick of incense burning in a monastery that demands your full spiritual contemplation. There's some sweetness, but not too much; it's still well within the territory of mainstream masculine wood scents, like Rocabar decided to lay off the sugary christmas cookies. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that there are a lot of things that Sequoia *isn't*, because it's just a pretty tree in the woods. The simplicity of sweet wood is somewhat of a relief before I try and conquer their Incense series, and now I understand why this was put in the Red series: because like Palisander, it's about quiet, happy warmth.

04 April, 2013

leto's avatar
    leto
    Turkey Turkey

I am surprised that nobody mentioned that this is very reminiscent of Jubilation XXV. A good one but not original at all. Great performance for the price.

13 March, 2013

Sunsetspawn's avatar
    Sunsetspawn

I see there is rum in there, and perhaps that would be the cause of what I was considering the "whiskey" smell. Of course, there is a type of oud in there, and that could assist in the "whiskey" smell. Unfortunately I don't drink enough to sort this out properly, I don't have any rum, my whiskey is sealed, and vodka and scotch won't help. My liqueur cabinet stinks. It could also be interpreted as "pimento," but not quite as foody.

Anyway, besides this bitter and intriguing note that will last forever on clothes but be absorbed immediately on skin, this is a forest in a bottle. As art, it's very nice. As a wearable scent, it's interesting but unsatisfying. Of course, my tastes lean towards gourmand and other nearly edible sweet and delicious scents, so consider that with this review.

06 March, 2012

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

A light, non-intrusive woody composition that shows the CDG's fingerprints all over. A sligh boozy accord of rum and woods (mainly cedar) joined by spices and some patchouli (?). Hints of oud somewhere, incense and other resinous notes with just a tad of sweetness. The cedarwood is just perfect, never sharp or overdone. Overall Sequoia has a consistent body but avoids the typical heaviness of other conpositions in the same vein and it's a perfect candidate for anyone who's looking for an easy-wear with a good amount of character. Moderate lasting power.

Sequoia is pretty linear but masterfully executed. Thoroughly enjoyable and most of all, immediately recognizable.

07 December, 2011

LushLife's avatar
    LushLife

This one smelled so fantastic on a card I couldn't wait to get it on my skin. Sequoia doesn't just offer a forest notes, it brings all the details of a huge redwood tree. I agree with dynendal's review; it really does an excellent job of capturing the essence and smell of the redwood.

...until it hits your skin. Within 5 minutes it became the most horrible, medicinal smell. I couldn't stomach it, I had to wash it off immediately! So much potential from the bottle, so horrible on skin. I liked CdG Kyoto, and it worked well on me. But this one was horrific, smelled like floor cleaner once applied.

29 April, 2011