Sex Appeal for Men (1976)
    by Jovan

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 101 ratings

Sex Appeal for Men information

Basenotes loves the blurb on the box for this long gone scent:
    "Sex Appeal- Now you don't have to be born with it. This provocative stimulating blend of rare spices and herbs was created by man for the sole purpose of attracting women. At will.
    More than the usual promise in a bottle. It's more like a guarantee."

Shop for Sex Appeal for Men products online

90ml Cologne
    90ml Cologne
    88ml Cologne

Reviews of Sex Appeal for Men

Showing 1 to 6 of 27 reviews.

StinkinApe's avatar

Cheap but good

This is my first review as a Basenoter so I decided to start with a familiar fragrance that I continue to wear today at least twice a month. I'm writing on the current splash aftershave/cologne and not the spray bottle. Despite other reviewers mentioning that this Jovan classic has lost some of it's punch, on my skin, even one spray above the navel can be cloying. As I believe Ericrico astutely mentioned, Sex Appeal comes into it's realm when carefully splashed like an aftershave (For me this means a modest splash applied by hands to both cheeks, a modest splash to the neck then rubbing my hands briefly on my chest.) Right away I get the hit of rich spices and, I guess, the amber as my nose picks up little boozy whiffs from time to time. It then begins the journey into the patchouli and woods with the spices rising to the surface from time to time. At this point it takes a powdery spicy oriental vibe that actually brings aspects of Vintage Aramis to mind (Probably the green herbs.). Sillage on me is moderate (Good Thing!) and longevity is spectacular at 6-10 hours depending on the weather. The nicest thing with Sex Appeal for me is that it is so well behaved in the right hands that I wear it in a fairly crowded nurses' station and I consistently receive compliments from female and male peers when I wear it. At it's current price point it is an amazing value and I'll always have some around when I want an old school vibe. Is it as good as were Andron, Grass Oil or The Original Ginseng for Men? Not a chance. Sex Appeal is a very good fragrance when used correctly. The other three were much better efforts by the House of Jovan. Bring them back Jovan/Coty! Please don't make me beg!

Pros: All the great aspects of a 70"s Power House without going overboard. Just plain smells good. PRICE!!
    Cons: Can be a patchouli stinkbomb if overused. Not as good as Grass Oil or Andron"

08 August, 2013

6of1's avatar

Newest formulation. Sadly, this is nothing like that little bottle I had in the early 80s -- it has the same scent, but watered-down. One can track the downward slide of these classic scents (PC, BS, etc, as mentioned in other reviews) by the size of the bottle offered, e.g., my Pierre Cardin is 8oz and my Sex Appeal is 4oz. Anyway, one finds a nice patchouli-based powdery musk type thing and I do detect a little anise, I think, or perhaps the notes blend to an approximation of it. It is definitely rooted in the 70s, but not stuck there in my book. Easily wearable and perhaps a little safer because of the reduced concentration. Marketed to men, but I would gamble anyone could wear this and be fine. All-in-all, a decent value the purchase of which would not be a waste of one's hoarded funds.

10th May, 2013

Bobster's avatar

I remember growing up always wanting to be like my older brother. I wanted to dress like him, smell like him, heck I wanted to be him and so it is with sex appeal. He never quite catches up with his older brother. Take all the qualities of Jovan and split in half and you have sex appeal. Half projection. Half longevity. Half the smell. Half the duration. Definitely not a bad scent just not for me.

10th March, 2013

Swanky's avatar

Another classic men's barbershop bottle, similar indeed to Pierre Cardin. It's similarly powdery (although not predominantly so) and spicy with a heady musk that screams the Seventies. Although I'm a fan of the old classics, this one does step close to the line into parody but for the low bread outlay, it's well worth it. If you have Pierre Cardin or Kanon or British Sterling, you don't need Jovan too. Longevity is phenomenal; I get twenty-four hours from this disco king.

30th January, 2013 (Last Edited: 31st January, 2013)

ericrico's avatar

Great reviews here - Shamu1 nails the scent's composition...this is truly a deep, warm patchouli-laden, nicely spiced, amber, wood and musk scent. It is rich but not too heavy for me. It actually deserves the attention it gets from fragrance lovers.

I have a Vintage Splash (4oz bottle) that I adore and recently ordered a 4oz splash online and it is the reformulation. I tried the latest spray in the store and it smelled somewhat close, but the patchouli smelled smoky/burnt and then it faded to a light skin scent - rather odd. However, the current formulation splash seems to wear a lot better...more similar to the Vintage, but toned down. Side-by-side, you can smell the richness and depth of spices that I believe make Vintage superior. So, it has a little bit less depth, but it still retains the smooth, warm patchouli, wood, musk and spices. The key note that keeps current formulation good is the warm amber. It is about equal and that allows the scent to carry and is a nice note in and of itself.

There is a bit of green herbs in the blend as well - along with cloves (which is stronger in Vintage). Going back & forth - my old juice is very balanced, rich and powerful...memories in a bottle! I love the old box and the marketing lines they print on it - cheesy as hell, but it adds to the macho vibe! The current is still very good, but it is definitely lighter and has less depth. It may be more wearable in today's world - but I really like the brute force of Vintage.

70's marketing aside...this is seriously good stuff. My collection of Vintage Musks would not be complete without this. Jovan's line of musks are very different from one another. To have this, Vintage Musk for Men, Vintage White Musk and other great bottles from the 70's and 80's in my cabinet is just pure fun and you will not smell like everyone else out there. Wear a nice splash of Jovan Sex Appeal, a high-end T-shirt and designer jeans and your hair slicked back on a warm summer day (or throw on a leather jacket over the top in the cooler weather) - but just throw your attitude around with your scent. You will get noticed.

Macho as hell...nothing that smells this good will ever go out of style. Period. I highly recommend it - get the current formulation 4oz Splash bottle, as it is being carried everywhere. I think the spray takes away from how this scent should be applied - and it makes a difference in how it smells. If you are serious - pursue a bottle of Vintage!

01st August, 2012

Oviatt's avatar

One of the best discount fragrances out there, this does remind me a little of Pierre Cardin Pour Homme (which I love) but it has more of a pathouli, spice and powder thing going on. I get a big slug of musk, which is almost a house note for Jovan. It smells comfortable and manly, in a good way. I do not have a bottle of this, but I have a cousin who wears it and I am always reminded of how good it smells when he is over. He is not a cologne guy at all and would not dream of wearing anything that did not come in aftershave form from the drug store. This is from a time when all real men needed was a close shave and a stiff drink..... and a little sex appeal, of course!

31st July, 2012

Add your review of Sex Appeal for Men

Search for on eBay United States

Jovan Sex Appeal for Men, Aftershave/Cologne 4 fl oz (118 ml)
    • Time Left: 13 days