Average Rating:

Snuff information

Snuff is a men's fragrance by Elsa Schiaparelli. The scent was launched in 1977

Reviews of Snuff

Showing 1 to of 3 reviews.
    positive 3 Positive Reviewsneutral No Neutral Reviews • negative No Negative Reviews

danielremy's avatar

France France

Vintage Snuff : cold ashtray

My friends tell me it smells like a cold ashtray but I absolutely love it! Vintage Snuff (1939) is an unkown masterpiece for men on the Tobacco theme. It is not surprising because it's the surrealist period, when Elsa Schiaparelli called Roure and Jean Carles to make her new perfumes, strong, potent, daring, unconventionnal. Only Shocking became famous, but there were also Sleeping, Zut and Snuff.

Snuff was a green, bitter, harsh cigar with hints of leather, so strong that the cologne bottle smells all over the room (and it's only the cologne, not the perfume in its pipe bottle).

Very difficult to find, vintage Snuff reminds me Sous le Vent (Guerlain), because of its green bitter and animalic aspect.

23 July, 2013

Miss Denise's avatar

If this were released today it would be a niche unisex fragrance. It starts with an icy, martini-like blast of alcohol, then settles down immediately to a rich cedar woods with hints of sage that is reminiscent to my nose of Serge Luten's Cedre or a more rich Tam Dao or some of the Ormonde Jayne fragrances.I also get a hint of leather.

This isn't overly sweet to me, nor does it smell like the tobacco it's supposed to evoke.

But then I cannot vouch for the quality of the vintage manufacturer's sample I've got. It's scrawled in cursive "Snuff de Schiaparelli.

I've never smelled the earlier women's version so I have no basis for comparison, but my sample has good longevity and has bloomed nicely in the heat.

It's a pity that Schiaparelli couldn't have held on to producing this for awhile, because this would have found a new appreciate and market today.

07 September, 2010

sniffman's avatar

I don't understand the history of this fragrance, since it originated almost 30 years before 1977. I assume it must have been reformulated then. I just received a mint bottle from e-bay. It reminds me of Rafale (Molinard) and Monsieur Lanvin: spicy and woody. Its linear, old school, and cloyingly sweet. I'm a big fan.

04 March, 2009