Spanish Leather (1902)

Spanish Leather information

Year of Launch1902

HouseGeo F Trumper

About Spanish Leather

Spanish Leather is a masculine fragrance by Geo F Trumper. The scent was launched in 1902

Spanish Leather fragrance notes

Reviews of Spanish Leather

It's nice and clean in a soapy way with a hint of leather saddle soap which does smell like Imperial Leather that people talk about. Though this aspect is low key.

At the start there is some rose and geranium which soon disappears leaving a clean soapy smell. It's very nice in a barbershop way and clean but a bit underwhelming. It could have been more distinct with that Imperial Leather smell that I like been a bit more louder on the skin.

All in all I like it and it's my third favourite choice from the house behind Eucris Edp (truly wonderful scent) and their Sandalwood fragrance.
31st March, 2018
I think it's worth mentioning that classic "Spanish leather" perfumes aim to recreate the smell of the herbs and flowers that leather was scented with back in the 1800's, thereby creating an illusion of leather to people familiar with what it smelled like back then, but aren't intended to actually smell like leather or contain any of the modern leather ingredients. So if you approach this expecting something like a Knize Ten or Tuscan Leather, you're probably going to be disappointed. Instead, it's a wonderful old-school smell, largely clove and geranium and vinegar, but lifted with white flowers and powder and kitchen herbs and darkened with a pinch of gasoline, kind of like a greener, darker take on Diptyque's Vinaigre de Toilette.

It's a wonderful combination that very much smells old, but has a weird sort of timeless rough familiarity that transcends trends. In terms of Spanish Leather perfumes, I personally prefer Santa Maria Novella's, because it has a crazy animalic petrol raucousness that I think is fun in a wild way, while Trumper's is more staid and practical (I would wear this to the office, but never SMN's). Thumbs up, even if this is a close second when it comes to my personal choice.
02nd October, 2017
This is a nice, clean, well-behaved take on leather. NOT animalic or dirty at all, Spanish Leather goes on with a blast of lavender and soap, with a well worn piece of dry leather thrown in for good measure. This is a suit and tie fragrance, appropriate for any formal or semi-formal event. It behaves itself, a little too much b/c despite being a leather, it sits close to the skin. Projection is only fair, but the scent is very well done.
27th July, 2017
I used this for a while about32 years ago and liked it then. However, I recently purchased a 50ml bottle and it bears no resemblance to what I had three decades ago. I suppose Trumper as well as MANY others has seen fit to REFORMULATE. Too bad, as this rendition is not even a mere shadow of what once was.
25th February, 2017
This is what gentlemen would wear to the berni inn with the family I reckon ..imperial leather soap in concentrated form is what I get ..floral, extremely soapy and a classy scent from a time gone by.
22nd December, 2016 (last edited: 06th June, 2017)
I love the idea of "Spanish Leather" - treating leather with perfume to rid it of most of the evidence of the tanner's trade - and I like this iteration as well the Truefitt namesake; a shame I didn't think to compare them directly. This one has the obvious cologne genealogy, but has its point of departure in warmth and spice. Essentially, it is a light leather, with at least the notes listed. However, I feel there must be more in there - something like cardamom, perhaps, as I can't think that the leather and patchouli alone have provided that level of spice.

There is little by way of development, but I find this to be a trustworthy masculine with good longevity and sillage, and at the prices it is sold at, an interesting and good value addition to a collection.
28th May, 2016

End Date: Tuesday Jan-8-2019 6:44:09 PST
Buy It Now for only: $40.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Member images of Spanish Leather

There are no member images of Spanish Leather yet. Why not be the first?

Fragrances launched in the same year as Spanish Leather (1902)

Features relating to Spanish Leather