Sung Homme (1988)

PackagingPierre Dinand
Parent CompanyRevlon Inc > Elizabeth Arden Inc
Parent Company at launchRiviera Concepts

About Sung Homme

Sung Homme is a masculine fragrance by Alfred Sung. The scent was launched in 1988 and the bottle was designed by Pierre Dinand

Sung Homme fragrance notes

Reviews of Sung Homme

This is definitely the best of the classics-turned-cheapies.

Initially, I found it to be screeching, cloying, and cheap smelling. One spray to the wrist and it just became this overbearingly loud, purple (green) thing.
After some excellent advice from a fellow Basenoter on the forums, I tried spraying this fragrance a couple times in the air, and walking through the mist.
Wow, what a difference!
This fragrance had calmed down, still Irish Spring-like, but it was nicely balanced with this masculine ashy note. I don't feel like it's dated because 1) I have never smelled this on anyone so I can't associate it with "old" and 2) it has this nice just-before-the-90s freshness to it (as another Basenoter put it). It doesn't have the typical "dirt" note prevalent in so many powerhouses of the 80s.
However, it smells basic. Just green/Irish Spring and cigarette ash. So based on that, most people will figure out it's an "old" cologne simply because it lacks the complexities of stuff like ck1, Issey, and other men's cologne which were came later.
But in my opinion, it's one of the best "cheapies." It definitely beats out some of the more well known soapy masculines of that era. Why? Because it smells fresh and pleasant while having a masculine edge to it. Other cologne's from that era, of this genre, are either soapy/flowery, or soapy/dirty. This is clean smelling with a hint of ash--not dirt.
19th February, 2018
This one has grown on me, since last year. It is a wood scent that almost could be unisex; almost. It has a tad bit of sweetness. The pine needles, juniper berries, cedar, fir, and aldehydes stay at the top, for some time. After an hour or so I get geranium, carnation, sandalwood, and vetiver. Pepper and caraway notes are omnipresent. I also get a tinge of musk from time to time.

I don't "get" the reference to Irish spring soap. But then, I do not use drug store, mass-produced bar soaps. For an inexpensive fragrance it makes me smile.
03rd June, 2017
The good news is that Sung Homme literally smells like Irish Spring soap. As a lover of soapy scents, Sung Homme is clean, masculine and has a very prominent soapy accord over a fougere structure. A simple classic fragrance done right.

The bad news is that it has a harsh metallic element that is abrasive. I personally cannot wear this fragrance because of this sharpness. I do not know whether this roughness is a feature of the composition itself or due to the ingredient quality. While a more refined version would have been much appreciated, I have to look elsewhere given its current incarnation.

If one loves masculine soapiness and can deal with a bit crudeness, look no further. Adequate sillage and tenacity.

Excellent idea, perhaps good enough execution, but surely not good enough ingredients.

2.5/5 (neutral)
09th April, 2017
Pleasant spicy midrange, murdered by a loud and tuneless thrum of ISO E SUPER. How to ruin decent juice
02nd April, 2017
I can see why this one is so popular after all these years: It's purple, for starters. :^>

Sung Homme is quite a masculine, sensual, and pleasing experience. Paco Rabanne pour Homme smells quite similar, except for its being more intense and longer lasting than Sung Homme.

Not a bad scent, safe and inoffensive.
18th March, 2017
I don't mind Irish Spring soap and as an idea, I don't mind Sung Homme. It's got a squeaky clean, traditional-masculine vibe.

Why the thumbs down?

Have you ever had "laughing gas" at the dentist? If you're given too much of the stuff, you feel as if you're in a sort of tail-spin. The room almost spins. It's very unnerving.

Sung Homme reminds me of that feeling. There is a screechy, headache-inducing undertone to this fragrance that isn't apparent in the first hour, but slowly develops over time. Iso E Super? Perhaps (it usually gives me fits).

Lasts all day and punches above its weight. Overall, a well-executed idea, just not for me.
18th January, 2017