Sybaris (1988)

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 50 ratings

Sybaris Fragrance Notes

Sybaris information

Sybaris is a men's fragrance by Antonio Puig. The scent was launched in 1988 and the bottle was designed by André Ricard

Reviews of Sybaris

Showing 1 to 6 of 22 reviews.
    positive 19 Positive Reviewsneutral3 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Michael Edwards classifies Sybaris as a woody oriental scent, and several reviewers here place it with the leather chypres, but I smell a brawny fougère, boasting ample aromatic content, soapy aldehydes, and bittersweet citrus in the top notes. Cumin, artemisia, and conspicuous animalic notes closely align Sybaris with grand 1980s animalic/aromatic fougères like Jules and Lauder for Men, but Sybaris evolves in a distinctive sweet, spiced, woody direction.

At its heart, Sybaris offers a tightly integrated accord of nutty vetiver, smooth sandalwood and amber that’s at once comfortable and highly dignified. The opening animalic elements retreat somewhat, but their lingering background presence safeguards against a slide from comfort into stodginess. At the same time, quiet echoes of artemisia, geranium, and juniper provide bracing counterpoint to the amber’s sweetness.

Sybaris is potent, but not overwhelming, with generous sillage and admirable lasting power. After several hours of sustained heart notes, the drydown settles into amber, labdanum, and vetiver, seasoned with leathery and mossy grace notes. While it smells not a bit like either, Sybaris is one of the few scents I know that capture the sense of masculine dignity found in Patou pour Homme or the original Santal Noble. It doesn’t necessarily exude the same sense of occasion, but that may only make it a bit more versatile and comfortable for daily wear. I have no idea whether Sybaris is still in production, but it can still be found online for very little money and is very much worth trying.

05 July, 2014

ericrico's avatar

Vintage Sybaris

I've been wanting to try this for a while and I am very thankful for a nice decant from my good friend, Dimitrios. I have to say that it truly has a wonderful unique, green chypre/leather vibe.

The house of Puig has some great scents - this is one of very high quality.

The feeling of the scent is very natural. A vibrant, fresh, green chypre with rich notes that jump from the bottle. Very high quality ingredients in Sybaris! Interesting to note the origin of the word. Sybaris was an ancient Greek city of southern Italy on the Gulf of Taranto. Noted for its wealth and luxury, it was destroyed in warfare with Crotona in 510 b.c.

I get the citrus with the Aldehydes up-front, strong and good rich opening, and it is not fizzy. The basil is nice - green, but earthy, further enhanced be a very nice cumin note (works very well here). The Artemisia and Juniper in the heart join the top quickly and dominate the heart. I do smell some light florals, with a nice sprinkling of cinnamon. Sandalwood comes through toward the end of the heart - not loud, but smooth.

The initial base note that came to me was the Oakmoss, but then I resprayed from atomizer (as I first dabbed on some to test) and found that Olibanum actually comes up and meets the Sandalwood in the late heart (a light smokiness forms), followed by a blend of herbaceous, green Patchouli and lichen (Oakmoss) that is very well-presented. Vetiver shows here as a woody note - not a major player, but precise and a bit sharp. The Olibanum is further warmed by Amber in the base which is really a smoldering ember under all this foiliage and wood...but it works well to enhance accords.

The final note, is the key...a green, woody chypre/leather composition with the leather being a bit tattered. Not heavy birch tar, but significant depth here. I will say that the green notes are more dominant to me and lean towards a green woody chypre as a classification, but the leather is like that of a worn saddle. It completes the scent. Riding on horseback through the Pyrennes at dusk with rancher's homes warmed by a wood-burning stove - wisps of smoke drift in the air.

This is not a loud scent, but a well-crafted one. It warms to the body and wears very natural...the vibe is definitively Spanish, muy clasico! Moderate silage and, from a layered sample, good longevity. Masculine and a bit rigorous - would wear wonderfully outdoors on a veranda having dinner. I will refrain from comparing it to other scents as it has a uniqueness - but feels comfortable. One could wear this formally or casual (but still upscale)...for a mature and confident man. Recommended. Salud!

01st August, 2013

rbaker's avatar

Fresh and green fougere with a touch of leather. Cumin Is added and a nice scent is the result. Not very complicated, traditional but worth seeking out. Lasts about two hours.

25 August, 2012

Naed_Nitram's avatar

The Baron de Charlus once told me: "I recall the time when I was a houseguest at the London apartment of Oscar Wilde. He gave us each a bottle of Sybaris eau de toilette from the House of Puig.

'You know, de Charlus,' the celebrated wit, poet and playwright informed me, 'although I prefer the opening notes of the golden oil of Sybaris - sensual, seductive, ancient, barbaric - to its later leathery denouement, I still believe I arrived at the definitive summation of this fragrance when I said that it was as if Oscar Wilde had met Attila the Hun in the harem of an Oriental prince. A rather fine description, don't you think?' ' Indeed I do, my dear Oscar,' I assured him, 'so fine a description that I wish I had thought of it myself. But, come to think of it, I believe I did describe it in just such terms several years ago, as a passing remark on Sybaris in a review of Puig's Boston Man. Perchance you read my review and, in a moment of confusion, have attributed it to your good self?'

Somewhat piqued by this information, and no doubt also by the snickering it elicited from his bosom companion, Lord Alfred "Bosie" Douglas, the great man snatched back the bottle of Sybaris which he had given me and demanded that I leave his house forthwith."

19 March, 2012

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Maccassar in an eau de cologne strength with a splash of Boss #1 thrown in to sweeten it up abit.

Love this. Older style yes, but it is class, especially in slightly chilly weather.

08 October, 2011

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Gorgeous powerful aromatic green oriental fougere that I wore for at least 3 years in the late 80`s and early 90`s. I remember having the entire line: soap, shower gel, shaving foam, after shave balm, deodorant spray and EDT in dab and spray forms...waking up in the morning was a pleasure knowing that the ritual of Sybaris was about to take place...

I do not think that I can add much more to Off-scenter`s review but confirming that Sybaris is an example of the great and famous frags from the 80`s...masculinity in liquid form...

Big thumbs up...!!!

• Listing Type: Auction with Buy it Now
    • 0 Bid(s)
    • Time Left: 2 days
    (Shipping from Portugal)
    SYBARIS BY ANTONIO PUIG EAU DE TOILETTE SPRAY 125 ML / 4.2 OZ. NEW (T)
    • Time Left: 4 days