Tabac Original (1959)

Year of Launch1959

HouseMäurer & Wirtz
PerfumerArturo Jordi-Pey

About Tabac Original

This fragance has been doing the rounds for over 40 years without any signs of losing its popularity. The fragrance is complemented by a very wide range of grooming, shaving and body products.

Tabac Original fragrance notes

Reviews of Tabac Original

If you're looking for a manly, dry, old school, barbershop floral fougere start here. If you enjoy the powerful and tenacious carnation note, your search might end here too. If you appreciate Azzaro PH, Rive Gauche, Sartorial and the like, you owe it to yourself to try this. One of the best examples of the genre, and by far the least expensive. Get the EDC, not the EDT and be patient with the topnotes as they can be chaotic and intense.

Incidentally, the shaving soap is legendary. Tabac soap and a nice, big Omega boar brush makes for a shave that no can of Barbasol could ever hope to achieve.
16th December, 2015
A tale that wasn't right...

My older brother is the most inconsistent fragrance user I've ever met. Wearing a roaring powerhouse in the morning and a syrupy bubblegummy squealer in the evening is something he finds perfectly normal and no contradicting at all. Thus, I was rather surprised the other day by smelling something quite intriguing and unusual on him. Something I didn't recognise and didn't have a clue about what it might be.

So I asked him: "What's this strange juice you're wearing bro?"
He replied: "Are you kidding me? It's Tabac for chrissakes!"
I took me less than a second to tell him: "This ain't Tabac!"

If any of you remembers an old Jim Beam commercial where Kevin Sorbo (before messing with Greek mythology) stepped into a bar in the middle of nowhere and asked for a shot of the said bourbon, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.
What my brother was wearing was an exceptional masculine fragrance, but definitely not Tabac. It carried a very vibrant coriander note, which was peculiar to say the least since Tabac doesn't contain any. But since I dig coriander, I gave it two thumbs up and continued pestering him about having been cheated by bying a knockoff. However, the fact that the stuff was so good is one thing and pretending it was Tabac is another.

For some strange reason, the idea that Tabac might have been reformulated beyond recognition didn't cross my mind. So, in case it was some sort of misconception created by some strange happenstance, next morning I paid a visit to the family owned cosmetics shop where I usually delve for holy relics and asked if they had a Tabac sample. They did. But having just returned from a partial sweeping of their stockroom, they had also unearthed a 50ml splash bottle with "Made in West Germany" printed on its box. For people who dont't dig History or are simply too young to know what this means, it means the bottle predated 1990. Needless to say it landed in my bag in a heartbeat and, what's more, for a song. Paying a tribute to German perfumery, I kept happily whistling "Schwarzbraun ist die Haselnuss" all the way home.

Now, I parted ways with Tabac some time in the mid 90's, cause I (stupidly) thought it was time for me to move on and leave my coming of age scents behind. I've done the same thing with quite a few fragrances, and although we have become best buddies with most of them again, I'll never stop feel ashamed for that idiotic and traitorous decision of mine. All the more that some of them can't be found anymore for less than a fortnight's paycheck.

After a thorough wrist by wrist comparison, my initial take of the current Tabac version proved to be no wrong at all. It's a different fragrance. A very good one, but standing no chance to occupy a place in the front row of the shelf right under the "legendary" label where Tabac has been for so many years. The funny thing is that despite being a far cry from vintage Tabac, it's also a far cry from nearly everything else in the market today. An one of a kind reformulation of an one of a kind benchmark scent. And this deserves some credit, if nothing else. On the other hand (literally), vintage Tabac was exactly as I remembered it. Moving, comforting and spectacular. And I was more than happy for reintroducing ourselves anew.

I can't understand why Maurer & Wirtz had to launch a new version of Tabac in 2014 and make a fuss about it, since the version that was on the shelves till then had nothing to do with the one I remembered from the '80s. All the more that the newly launched version doesn't even feature a tobacco note if we're to believe its pyramid. I don't know about you, but if I ever bought a fragrance called "Rose" only to discover there's no damn rose in its composition, I'd certainly feel kinda ripped off.

Tabac was always a heroic scent to me. Something to be worn in the face of danger and turn its wearer invulnerable. Something like an assuaging smile, carrying the aura of a gallantry only found in tales anymore, since its defenders and champions are long gone from this world. Fortunately their scent is still lingering in hidden, dusty, scorned and unfashionable corners of our reality, reassuring us that our gone heroes will never ignore our distress calls and they will always be there in our time of need.
30th November, 2015
I get citrus and soap ..sometimes I may notice one more than the other and then the tobacco reveals itself, but in a clean and very subtle way. Kind of like a freshly cleaned airport departure gate in Greece during the eighties , this being the nostalgia element that tabac evokes. At first I didn't think I would use this often but I can't stop opening the bottle and dowsing myself in it, very addictive and classic.
09th June, 2015
Believe me gents if this juice was sitting in an Acqua di Parma or Tom Ford bottle you all would be wearing it!
Perfect, clean manliness that always draws compliments. Some people find it outdated and on the next day they call the basenotes trapped on my shirt nice, fresh and masculine.
This fragrance has been successful for a reason.
The top notes of the edt straight after application are very similar to AdP Colonia. The cigarette infused flowers are long lasting on my skin. At the same time it's giving off a fresh, soapy, well groomed feeling throughout the day.
It's cheap enough to keep it in a real man's fragrance wardrobe and you will find that you wear it more and more and with each wearing you enjoy it more.
It never gets negative comments from ladies.
The really successful fragrances have been made anyway, and Tabac Original is one of them.
If you dislike this fragrance then do yourself a favour. Imagine that this is a new release from one of your favourite niche houses and try it again under their name. ;) Enjoy!
02nd March, 2015
Four words description: Creamy, fizzy, natural, addictive !

Every time i finish a bottle of Tabac Original EDC and wait a while before i buy another bottle, i feel that my wardrobe is missing something.

Every time i wear it again, i realize how perfect it is.

It's soapy yet silky and creamy, it's sharp yet velvety, it's straightforward yet multi-dimentional, it's classic in structure yet feels modern in its execution and interaction with the skin, but most importantly: It smells VERY NATURAL.

The aldehydes opening blast can become overwhelming during the first 5-10 minutes (me i love it), but it then snuggles in a rich creamy paradise packed with vanilla, tobacco, oakmoss, flowers and sandalwood.

An irresistible delight humbly wearing a $15 price tag.
21st February, 2015
When people say "Barber shop" type, this is what they are talking about.

Sort of like Agua Lavanda, a hallmark, a mile stone, a turning point in the cologne industry.......masculine, virile....... you name it, this is not for the meek.

Women will know you are not following a fad but making a statement..........you are a man.
05th February, 2015