Tabac Original (1959)

Year of Launch1959

HouseMäurer & Wirtz
PerfumerArturo Jordi-Pey

About Tabac Original

This fragance has been doing the rounds for over 40 years without any signs of losing its popularity. The fragrance is complemented by a very wide range of grooming, shaving and body products.

Tabac Original fragrance notes

Reviews of Tabac Original

The EDC for me is as iconic as the bottle. The aldehydes always take me a little by surprise, as though I'm in the barber's chair and not the one controlling the application. But a bracing slap on the cheeks, chest and arms, and I'm good to go. I catch my breath a bit with the bright floral topnotes, but then smile and revel in the rich dry-down that soon follows. The carnation and earthy ashy scent of the geranium ground this for me, and combined with the amber provide that creamy smokiness that hovers about me for hours. A scent with both modesty and self-assurance. What more could a gentleman ask for? And 10 oz. for $20 bucks? A no-brainer.

And with Tabac, I always want to hold up the bottle to those Procter and Gamble executives who replaced the Old Spice glass bottle with plastic and then had to change the formula. Maurer & Wirtz knew better than to mess with a classic.
06th March, 2016 (last edited: 09th March, 2016)
For many years I didn't really get this baby powder scent, but then I tried the eau de cologne. Wow, this is barbershop at its finest, old school, manly, dignified, with incredible lasting power for an eau de cologne. Great value, a masterpiece.
05th March, 2016
ad_scott Show all reviews
I have admired Tabac EDC ever since I was a young boy in the 1980s, as father sported it. It is an evocative and comforting scent and it does attain that old school barbershop feel. Tabac has been going for nearly 60 years!

I don't really detect the tobacco note in Tabac...maybe a faint hint of it now and again... a generic budget kind of tobacco in a pouch (remindful of Drum Halfzware Shag.)I certainly get the citrus and aldehyde blast in the opening, then it's pretty much a linear scent all the way through.

On the drydown it's citrus, white soap and clean. I find it difficult to pick out Tabac's other notes as
I just get the citrus and white soap - maybe a hint of pepper and tobacco but it's very slight. If there are other notes present I can't pinpoint them because there's a kind of blur to the senses.

Longevity is ace, it lasts all day and sillage is moderate. EDC is available in splash and spray. EDT I experienced to be decent but a totally different scent, more floral, sharper and sweeter; I much prefer the EDC.

For years I've been using the shaving soap religiously which is amazing considering the price, scent and lifespan - a puck lasts me around 3 years.
The shaving soap scent is similar to the aftershave and EDC but I find it a bit more refined - cleaner/neutral with a dash of citrus. Reminds me of a brand new bathroom, a clean and new ceramic tile smell.

Tabac is great value for money, and it is true... it is hard to find other fragrances at the same price that are as robust and unique in scent, longevity and sillage. Unsurpassed German engineering.
03rd March, 2016 (last edited: 04th March, 2016)
If you're looking for a manly, dry, old school, barbershop floral fougere start here. If you enjoy the powerful and tenacious carnation note, your search might end here too. If you appreciate Azzaro PH, Rive Gauche, Sartorial and the like, you owe it to yourself to try this. One of the best examples of the genre, and by far the least expensive. Get the EDC, not the EDT and be patient with the topnotes as they can be chaotic and intense.

Incidentally, the shaving soap is legendary. Tabac soap and a nice, big Omega boar brush makes for a shave that no can of Barbasol could ever hope to achieve.
16th December, 2015
A tale that wasn't right...

My older brother is the most inconsistent fragrance user I've ever met. Wearing a roaring powerhouse in the morning and a syrupy bubblegummy squealer in the evening is something he finds perfectly normal and no contradicting at all. Thus, I was rather surprised the other day by smelling something quite intriguing and unusual on him. Something I didn't recognise and didn't have a clue about what it might be.

So I asked him: "What's this strange juice you're wearing bro?"
He replied: "Are you kidding me? It's Tabac for chrissakes!"
I took me less than a second to tell him: "This ain't Tabac!"

If any of you remembers an old Jim Beam commercial where Kevin Sorbo (before messing with Greek mythology) stepped into a bar in the middle of nowhere and asked for a shot of the said bourbon, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.
What my brother was wearing was an exceptional masculine fragrance, but definitely not Tabac. It carried a very vibrant coriander note, which was peculiar to say the least since Tabac doesn't contain any. But since I dig coriander, I gave it two thumbs up and continued pestering him about having been cheated by bying a knockoff. However, the fact that the stuff was so good is one thing and pretending it was Tabac is another.

For some strange reason, the idea that Tabac might have been reformulated beyond recognition didn't cross my mind. So, in case it was some sort of misconception created by some strange happenstance, next morning I paid a visit to the family owned cosmetics shop where I usually delve for holy relics and asked if they had a Tabac sample. They did. But having just returned from a partial sweeping of their stockroom, they had also unearthed a 50ml splash bottle with "Made in West Germany" printed on its box. For people who dont't dig History or are simply too young to know what this means, it means the bottle predated 1990. Needless to say it landed in my bag in a heartbeat and, what's more, for a song. Paying a tribute to German perfumery, I kept happily whistling "Schwarzbraun ist die Haselnuss" all the way home.

Now, I parted ways with Tabac some time in the mid 90's, cause I (stupidly) thought it was time for me to move on and leave my coming of age scents behind. I've done the same thing with quite a few fragrances, and although we have become best buddies with most of them again, I'll never stop feel ashamed for that idiotic and traitorous decision of mine. All the more that some of them can't be found anymore for less than a fortnight's paycheck.

After a thorough wrist by wrist comparison, my initial take of the current Tabac version proved to be no wrong at all. It's a different fragrance. A very good one, but standing no chance to occupy a place in the front row of the shelf right under the "legendary" label where Tabac has been for so many years. The funny thing is that despite being a far cry from vintage Tabac, it's also a far cry from nearly everything else in the market today. An one of a kind reformulation of an one of a kind benchmark scent. And this deserves some credit, if nothing else. On the other hand (literally), vintage Tabac was exactly as I remembered it. Moving, comforting and spectacular. And I was more than happy for reintroducing ourselves anew.

I can't understand why Maurer & Wirtz had to launch a new version of Tabac in 2014 and make a fuss about it, since the version that was on the shelves till then had nothing to do with the one I remembered from the '80s. All the more that the newly launched version doesn't even feature a tobacco note if we're to believe its pyramid. I don't know about you, but if I ever bought a fragrance called "Rose" only to discover there's no damn rose in its composition, I'd certainly feel kinda ripped off.

Tabac was always a heroic scent to me. Something to be worn in the face of danger and turn its wearer invulnerable. Something like an assuaging smile, carrying the aura of a gallantry only found in tales anymore, since its defenders and champions are long gone from this world. Fortunately their scent is still lingering in hidden, dusty, scorned and unfashionable corners of our reality, reassuring us that our gone heroes will never ignore our distress calls and they will always be there in our time of need.
30th November, 2015
I get citrus and soap ..sometimes I may notice one more than the other and then the tobacco reveals itself, but in a clean and very subtle way. Kind of like a freshly cleaned airport departure gate in Greece during the eighties , this being the nostalgia element that tabac evokes. At first I didn't think I would use this often but I can't stop opening the bottle and dowsing myself in it, very addictive and classic.
09th June, 2015