Tabac Original (1959)

Year of Launch1959

HouseMäurer & Wirtz
PerfumerArturo Jordi-Pey

About Tabac Original

This fragance has been doing the rounds for over 40 years without any signs of losing its popularity. The fragrance is complemented by a very wide range of grooming, shaving and body products.

Tabac Original fragrance notes

Reviews of Tabac Original

This gets a thumbs up b/c you can get this for under $20 and it is a pleasant fragrance. It is a classic barbershop fragrance. There is nothing to make it stand out from others, but as I said, you can't go wrong for $16!
14th July, 2017
Edc: One of the best barbershop soapy maculine fragrances out there and already over 15 years in my collection. The soapy-musky smell blended with ambery-flowery stuff is pretty addictive.
I did not try the newer bottles with straight logo yet and my review is based on the older version. I also recommend the aftershave and deodorant/anti perspirant of Tabac which all are excellent! Rating: 8.5/10
22nd October, 2016
If the top notes of this scent lasted forever I would wear this all the time.

I have once sampled the current version of Tabac at a Perfumania and can't for the life of me remember any details (always a bad sign), but I recently acquired an old mini which boasts an opening accord so aldehydic I was nearly in beautiful shock. The blending makes distinction difficult ( this is the Stolberg/ West Germany version), but I seldom find scents with so much tonka/amber/vanilla which prove so mild and balanced. Tabac doesn't last too long, and the opening fifteen minutes are absolutely the best part for me, but I have to admit that this is one of the best budget scents out there.

I also now realize that Whiskey by Commodity was just an ill-fated attempt to recreate this classic.
24th August, 2016
A very affordable classic barbershop scent. I am very impressed and pleased to add it to my collection. If you like Rive Gauche or Old Spice you are bound to like this one too. I have the splash on cologne version which comes in a nice glass bottle. It's fairly potent, without being too brash (don't over apply) and holds well for most of the day. I think it's pretty linear after the dry down, when the citrus fades. Something between a barber shop and a powerhouse scent as it reminds one of both styles.

I just made a scent memory connection, with Tabac. This, I am virtually sure, was my long ago departed uncle Bob's scent. A true gentleman who always was well groomed and sported a fine wide smile as well. I have no problem with adopting his scent, as some may. As a matter of fact I have been long trying to pin it down.

Men's cologne is not overexposed where I live and something this common and dated is rarely a problem. Old Spice and Brut might be, but; not this one.

This is a nice find for me, the reason many of us keep looking for more scent options. I think Tabac Original will live on in my collection from now on. Wundebar Deutschland and salute to uncle Bob.
20th July, 2016 (last edited: 27th July, 2016)
The EDC for me is as iconic as the bottle. The aldehydes always take me a little by surprise, as though I'm in the barber's chair and not the one controlling the application. But a bracing slap on the cheeks, chest and arms, and I'm good to go. I catch my breath a bit with the bright floral topnotes, but then smile and revel in the rich dry-down that soon follows. The carnation and earthy ashy scent of the geranium ground this for me, and combined with the amber provide that creamy smokiness that hovers about me for hours. A scent with both modesty and self-assurance. What more could a gentleman ask for? And 10 oz. for $20 bucks? A no-brainer.

And with Tabac, I always want to hold up the bottle to those Procter and Gamble executives who replaced the Old Spice glass bottle with plastic and then had to change the formula. Maurer & Wirtz knew better than to mess with a classic.
06th March, 2016 (last edited: 09th March, 2016)
For many years I didn't really get this baby powder scent, but then I tried the eau de cologne. Wow, this is barbershop at its finest, old school, manly, dignified, with incredible lasting power for an eau de cologne. Great value, a masterpiece.
05th March, 2016