Tactics (1979)

Year of Launch1979

About Tactics

Tactics is a masculine fragrance by Shiseido. The scent was launched in 1979

Reviews of Tactics

Interesting to see the parade of reviews starting in the beginning with mostly thumbs up but eventually drifting to neutral or thumbs down in more recent years. I thought perhaps it was reformulated. Well, I finally obtained a bottle of the EdT version (there are also cologne, after shave, and after shower versions). I've found the earlier reviews more relevant.

This starts out as a rather green and floral fragrance with a powdery quality. It is semi-sweet to dry in overall impression. It just feels like a very classic kind of fragrance, the type that has been made for decades and is a staple. But it is unfortunately very hard to find. I got lucky and snagged a bottle that happened to pop up on eBay with a rather low buy-it-now. The other weaker choices are available in abundance and rather pricey, compared to other fragrances of this ilk. I don't think a $65 spray cologne version of this is a worthy buy.

I was tempted to give this fragrance a neutral, for the weaker than average longevity. I was expecting it to last a bit longer for an EdT. However, the overall quality is very good. And the splash bottle is terrific, a rounded edge cube shape with striking white enamel coating. I will enjoy it to the end and probably not buy it again unless another good deal comes around.
26th November, 2013
bFlay Show all reviews
Foul sense memory evoked with this. Smells EXACTLY like a urinal cake...those nasty pink wax deodorizer doo-dads. Specifically, one drenched in used malt liquor! Other reviewers talk of geraniums, rain, etc.? I am flummoxed. This is bad. Try before you buy (try it twice with the consensus of those who might be around when this is worn)
02nd September, 2012
The epitome of the sharp, angular  herbal-floral concoction. A strange fragrance, one of the first i inhaled in my adolescence taking it from a shelf  in the bedroom of the old brother of one of my best friends. I looked and tasted it recently in a shop inside a commercial center and it was a flash back. This fragrance owns uniqueness, it's tremendously sharp, silent, citrusy, rooty and metallic, the monolitic smell is something that reminds slightly a detergent soap and for the rest urine, rain over the asfalt and brass. I detect lime, bergamot, geranium, may be violet,cedarwood, fluid vetiver and herbs. Shiseido probably reproduces synthetically the laundry-detergent effect the others reviewer talk about. Unique, out of the mainstream but very hardly appealing for its algid  refractoriness.
30th October, 2011 (last edited: 22nd November, 2011)
I think I was 16 or 17 when someone give me this present, probably it was 1988, 1989.
A strange scent, green and fresh but no more memories at all about it. Very hard to find, I don't think it is on production again. Not a shame anyway...
03rd January, 2011
Its great because it is the simplicity itself.I guess in 1979 this was quite up to date but of course will encounter very easily 101 cheap shower gels which have probably inherited this fragrance composition.Green and citrusy,the citrus ,being the main theme here,is sparkling and just slightly sharp but that's how it is supposed to be in compositions like that(or WAS supposed to be back in 1979 anyway)and once again...simple -...yet masculin which for me is quite important factor when forming my final verdict.
16th December, 2009
A smooth, dry green floral fragrance with a somewhat powdery (almost dusty) woodsy base. There may also be a touch of white musk in here, providing a slight "laundry detergent" or "cashmere" quality, but the predominant scent to me is green and floral. It is, for this sort of scent, very long lasting - almost all day. The fragrance I would compare it to is L'Artisan's L'Eau du Caporal, only without that fragrance's signature mint. Pretty good stuff and not dated at all considering its 1979 release date.
06th March, 2007

Add your review of Tactics

Shop for Tactics products online

Search Amazon for Tactics

Member images of Tactics

There are no member images of Tactics yet. Why not be the first?